Go to footer

Repairing Porcelain Dolls

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Repairing Porcelain Dolls

Postby Daeriel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:26 am

So I could use some advice.

One of my friends recently received a porcelain doll in the mail, but when she opened it, both legs had broken into full halves. She attempted to repair it, but Krazy Glue won't hold them together, and neither of us are sure what to try.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something that will hold the porcelain?
Daeriel
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Repairing Porcelain Dolls

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Daeriel wrote:So I could use some advice.

One of my friends recently received a porcelain doll in the mail, but when she opened it, both legs had broken into full halves. She attempted to repair it, but Krazy Glue won't hold them together, and neither of us are sure what to try.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something that will hold the porcelain?

There are special glues for ceramics, if you go to a craft store (JoAnn's, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby) and look in their glue section (or ask), you'll find some. For my students' projects (because breaking is inevitable) I use 5 Min Epoxy... there is something else in my cabinet but I can't remember the name of it now, I'll check when I get back into my classroom on Monday.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Daeriel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Yanagi-sen wrote:There are special glues for ceramics, if you go to a craft store (JoAnn's, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby) and look in their glue section (or ask), you'll find some. For my students' projects (because breaking is inevitable) I use 5 Min Epoxy... there is something else in my cabinet but I can't remember the name of it now, I'll check when I get back into my classroom on Monday.

Thank you for your input! I'm really not sure how I didn't think of just looking in a craft store, but I appreciate your patience in your suggestions. I've heard good things about epoxy with resin, so that might be a good thing to try.
Daeriel
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby magkelly » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I used Gorilla Glue to do that once and it worked fine for me. That stuff will bond to almost anything and you can find it everywhere, drug stores, even our grocery stores have it.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Yanagi-sen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 am

Here is the other product I have in my classroom (that I couldn't remember): Elmer's China and Glass cement. Supposed to set in 1 min, cures in 72 hours, and is then dishwasher safe. ^__^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 pm

My mom has used Elmer's wood glue of all things to stick handles back on to coffee mugs. It's been holding up through microwaving and washing. I'd still agree to the ceramic glue first.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby famedglory » Wed May 01, 2013 11:50 am

I've had pretty good success with straight Elmer's glue. The seams on the marionet I fixed don't even really show.
famedglory
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance