Go to footer

Cleaning an ABS Dollhead?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Cleaning an ABS Dollhead?

Postby CrusherVic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm stripping everything off my Hujoo Freyr's head, and having some difficulty with it. Unfortunately I was a late-night derp and used some art markers to detail in eyebrows and some other bits, so I've just got to deal on that front, but I also seem to have some persistant smudges that toothbrush scrubbing with rubbing alcohol won't get out.

Is it safe to use vinegar on ABS plastic? I'm thinking of either bombing it with baking soda and vinegar or using vinegar and detergent (which are my hardcore cleaners around the house) but I'm worried it will just create a surface that stains more readily later. Also pondering soaking it in a water/vinegar solution. Any other ideas are heartily welcome.

Figured I should ask first, since last time I jumped the gun I got permanent faint eyebrows. :B
CrusherVic
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Cleaning an ABS Dollhead?

Postby Evelien » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Just making sure: did you use MSC on the head before you started doing the faceup?
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby CrusherVic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:27 pm

I... did not. 8l I hadn't seen that in any tutorials I'd read. I don't have any MSC right now, actually. Crap. I guess that would have protected the surface?
CrusherVic
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I've not tried vinegar, but Dettol (if you're not in the UK, it's a brownish coloured disinfectant with 4.5(?)% Chloroxylenol as it's active ingredient, and a very distinctive smell) seems to work fine on ABS. Don't use anything containing acetone though - I made a complete mess of a Freya head cleaning it with acetone based nail varnish remover :(
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Evelien » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:14 am

CrusherVic wrote:I... did not. 8l I hadn't seen that in any tutorials I'd read. I don't have any MSC right now, actually. Crap. I guess that would have protected the surface?

Yes, it would have.

I once used nailpolish remover WITHOUT acetone by the way, and that melted away the ABS plastic as well...
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby CrusherVic » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:51 am

Well, crap. I'll make sure to get some MSC before I take another stab at this face-up, then. Thanks for the tip.
I'm gonna steer clear of acetone and nail polish remover altogether, just in case.
Not in the UK, haven't seent Dettol, but I'll consider it and keep an eye out. Thanks!
CrusherVic
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance