Go to footer

Help getting musty smell out of doll and doll clothes?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Help getting musty smell out of doll and doll clothes?

Postby Dustafterrain10.1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 pm

I was wondering if any of you had any tips to remove or lessen the smell.
Last edited by Dustafterrain10.1 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustafterrain10.1
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Help getting musty smell out of doll and doll clothes?

Postby K2! » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Twin Pines of Maine D-stinker
I have not personally used this product but have been more than satisfied with the results from their other products.
http://www.twinpines.com/D-stinker
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Dustafterrain10.1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Ill have to try that product. Thanks K2
Dustafterrain10.1
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby magkelly » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 am

One of my most longed for dolls was a Franklin Mint vinyl Scarlett. I was thrilled to finally get one but when it arrived it smelled very musty, particularly the clothing. I took some Oxyclean and put it in the bottom of a tall thin box, put the clothes and the doll in the box in an open plastic bag also standing upright so they wouldn't get powder on them but open bagged so that the powder could absorb the smell and shut the box up. It took about two weeks all total and I had to change the powder once, but at the end of that time they smelled a lot better. They smelled a bit like the Oxy when they were done but a hang up outside on our porch for a day took care of that and now the doll and the clothes smell fine. You'd never even know that they once smelled like someone's damp musty basement.
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Dustafterrain10.1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:19 am

magkelly wrote:One of my most longed for dolls was a Franklin Mint vinyl Scarlett. I was thrilled to finally get one but when it arrived it smelled very musty, particularly the clothing. I took some Oxyclean and put it in the bottom of a tall thin box, put the clothes and the doll in the box in an open plastic bag also standing upright so they wouldn't get powder on them but open bagged so that the powder could absorb the smell and shut the box up. It took about two weeks all total and I had to change the powder once, but at the end of that time they smelled a lot better. They smelled a bit like the Oxy when they were done but a hang up outside on our porch for a day took care of that and now the doll and the clothes smell fine. You'd never even know that they once smelled like someone's damp musty basement.

Sounds like a bit much to do for an entire shipping container of dolls but if I find any dolls I want to keep I'll use this method. Thanks for your help and congratulations on getting one of your dream dolls
Dustafterrain10.1
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 am

With some plastic and rubber doll stuff I washed, dried, submerged in clean kitty litter (old fashion kind with odor absorbing bits, not clumping or crystals). This generally zaps most smells but it can leave a scent of it's own. Once you feel the bad smell is gone you can submerge in powdered detergent to give it that smell.

Usually a gentle hand wash in a heavily scented detergent does a lot. If you can't get it wet try sealed in a bag or container of with powdered detergent. I've used sealed with Gain on some paper and other products that had smoke smell.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Dustafterrain10.1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:25 pm

DollyKim wrote:With some plastic and rubber doll stuff I washed, dried, submerged in clean kitty litter (old fashion kind with odor absorbing bits, not clumping or crystals). This generally zaps most smells but it can leave a scent of it's own. Once you feel the bad smell is gone you can submerge in powdered detergent to give it that smell.

Usually a gentle hand wash in a heavily scented detergent does a lot. If you can't get it wet try sealed in a bag or container of with powdered detergent. I've used sealed with Gain on some paper and other products that had smoke smell.

Thanks, these are all really helpful answers from everybody. These will be useful both for this lot of dolls and for any future dolls that come with a bad smell.
Dustafterrain10.1
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Baking soda is also a classic for removing odors if you can't find that kind of cat litter. You could try putting them in a sealing plastic storage tub with a box of it set in with the lid off or a hole in and see how much that draws off, instead of trying to find enough to bury them in, though it might take two or three boxes and a few days depending on how bad they are. I've had mold issues in the back room here with some of my old fabrics I'm trying to save, and that's what I plan to do with any that won't ditch the smell after a good airing.

Baking soda's used for a lot of odd things really, besides baking. My favorite recent one is to fix up a pan with a folded sheet of aluminum foil covering the bottom, fill it with a solution of water/bakingsoda/salt... and then lay a piece of tarnished silver on the foil. XD

But then there are reasons I'm called the Mad Scientist around here, and my preferred method for 'polishing' silver is only one of them.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby E-Beth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:19 am

Found this information on a book preservation site.
Make a chamber in a chamber, like magkelly describes. You can use two sizes of trashcans, or plastic totes. The larger one needs a lid.
Put charcoal briquettes (plain, not mesquite or lighterfluid infused), baking soda, or plain clay cat litter in the bottom of the big contain, and put the items to be de-stench-ified in the little one. Put the lid on the big one and let it sit for however long it takes.
If you can find large enough containers, you should be able to do a lot of dolls at once.
I think charcoal works best.

I suppose one could also just partially cover the charcoal with a piece of plastic and lay the dolls on top.
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:24 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote:Baking soda's used for a lot of odd things really, besides baking.

It's my preferred thing for getting rid of stubborn teastains in a mug - dump some in the bottom of a mug, fill with warm water, leave to soak for a while, then wash. (Bleach is quicker though. As is not letting the mug get to that state to start with...)
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance