Go to footer

Sealing you BJD

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Sealing you BJD

Postby SymphonicEnkelli » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:57 pm

Question! I'm about to order my first BJD, so I'm running around frantically to learn all the tips and tricks of the trade. One thing I have heard is that you should seal your doll when you first get it and after every cleaning. Is this really necessary? If it is, could I use a liquidtex matte sealant? I use it on my monster high dolls and it works well, and I know Andrejea of Nicolle's Dream uses it on her face-ups. I like it because it is non-toxic. So will it look?

Thanks in advanced!
SymphonicEnkelli
Dollmatians

Re: Sealing you BJD

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 am

SymphonicEnkelli wrote:Question! I'm about to order my first BJD, so I'm running around frantically to learn all the tips and tricks of the trade. One thing I have heard is that you should seal your doll when you first get it and after every cleaning. Is this really necessary? If it is, could I use a liquidtex matte sealant? I use it on my monster high dolls and it works well, and I know Andrejea of Nicolle's Dream uses it on her face-ups. I like it because it is non-toxic. So will it look?

Thanks in advanced!

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I wouldn't. It's all right on a small doll, but a brush-on sealant will show streaks and lines. Also, most of the work you will be doing will not be with paint, but with chalk pastels, and all your hard work will smear like crazy with a brush-on sealant.

You should carefully read through the Tips and Tricks forum. Here is the list of recommended materials.

http://www.dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby she_flame » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:10 am

I'd suggest using sprayable sealants: Mister Super Clear, GW's Purity Seal-spray or Testors Dullcote. I used GW's satin varnish for Chandi, but it's pain to remove (Purity Seal is easier, I've heard).

problem with those is toxicity, but sealing doll outside is working for me.
she_flame
Dolly Pardon

Postby SymphonicEnkelli » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:46 am

The sealant I have is a spray sealant. And to clarify, I'm not doing a face-up. This is just basic care. Thank you for the link, though! I will check it out now.
SymphonicEnkelli
Dollmatians

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance