Go to footer

MSC toxicity questions, or alternatives...

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

MSC toxicity questions, or alternatives...

Postby ~TurkishDelight~ » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 pm

I have a few questions about sealants for 1/6 vinyl dolls. (I have Volks, Obitsu, and Monster High dolls I want to seal.)

My questions are about toxicity of sealants, particularly MSC UV, since that's what I have a new, unopened can of right now. I've been fighting cancer and my younger sister is sensitive, so i feel nervous hearing MSC is toxic. Is MSC still toxic after it dries, or only when it's being sprayed? Is it dangerous to touch the dolls that were sealed with MSC, or have them in your bedroom? Will the dolls let off harmful chemicals or fumes? Are there any safer sealants? :oops:
currently fighting cancer. please forgive my chemo-brain. ^^
my 1/6 dollieh Wishlist & 4Sale/Trade list~ :P
~TurkishDelight~
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: MSC toxicity questions, or alternatives...

Postby K2! » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:03 am

I feel nervous hearing MSC is toxic. Is MSC still toxic after it dries, or only when it's being sprayed? Is it dangerous to touch the dolls that were sealed with MSC, or have them in your bedroom? Will the dolls let off harmful chemicals or fumes? Are there any safer sealants? :oops:

Yes, MSC is toxic. Just about everything that comes out of an aerosol can is toxic, including hair spray, antiperspirants, and other household chemicals. Some are more toxic than others. Household products live under different government regulations than consumer artist supplies and products used in industry so you won't hear much about the toxicity of household products.
Given that MSC is an aerosol, it is probably toxic primarily by inhaling the airborne vapors and solid particles that comes out of the can. Precautions should be taken not to breathe in airborne MSC.

Is it dangerous to touch dolls sealed with MSC, or store them in your bedroom?
No, touching the MSC sealed dolls should not present a problem, unless you are specifically sensitive to one of the components of dried MSC. You should follow the good practice of washing your hands after handling the dolls to prevent ingestion of any dried material that may rub off.

Will the dolls let off harmful chemicals or fumes?
Yes, till the MSC is completely dried. Though the doll may be “dry to the touch” in minutes, it may be a couple hours to a couple of days before the MSC is completely dry. This drying time will depend on the amount and manner of application and the environmental conditions.

Are there any safer sealants?
Yes and no. The propellants and solvents in these products are usually what make them toxic. Some of these propellants and solvents are more toxic than others and it’s hard to say which of these you are more likely to have a reaction to. You could use a water based brush on sealer, which would be safer than a solvent based aerosol sealer, but the brushing method of application would produce less desirable results than a spray on sealer. And even water based sealers have some small amounts of solvents in them.

If you use good practices such as wearing a NIOSH approved respirator with the proper cartridges (organic vapor cartridges), use the material in a properly ventilated area, avoid incidental exposure by absorption (skin contact) and ingestion (consuming) you should be able to use MSC safely.

Given your circumstances and specific health concerns, it would probably be beneficial for you to take your specific concerns to your doctor.

Here’s some additional reading on the general subject of arts and crafts safety, which would be good for anyone who uses art materials.
http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/112284/5015.pdf

It would also be beneficial for you to learn your way around a material safety data sheet (MSDS) and procure them for your art supplies when you can. MSDS can be found on most manufacturer's web sites.
http://www.chicagoartistsresource.org/a ... erstanding
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance