Go to footer

Removing pen from doll face?

Cleaning, fixing, stain prevention etc... Share your knowledge of what to do and what NOT to do.

Removing pen from doll face?

Postby NikitaRose » Mon May 05, 2014 1:20 pm

My goodness it's been a long time since I was on this site. Anyways, I've come back because I have a question.

I rescued a MH doll from a convention. She was a donated toy and the booth she was at, was creating "franken toys"~ tearing them apart and putting them back together in freakish combinations. I found her body and head and took her home to save her and fix her back up- make her beautiful.
Only problem is, her face is all marked up with ball point pen. Is there any cheep and doll safe ways to remove the pen marks?
NikitaRose
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Removing pen from doll face?

Postby K2! » Mon May 05, 2014 6:15 pm

"Cheap" and "Doll safe" do not necessarily go hand in hand. Where my dolls are concerned I prefer proven doll safe products over hit or miss home remedies. I recommend Remove-Zit from Twin Pines of Maine. This is a product that was engineered by a chemist for his wife who loved to restore vinyl dolls. This product was made specifically to clean vinyl dolls and action figures and do the least amount of damage to the plastics these dolls are made of, unlike many home remedies. Remove-Zit may cost a bit more than home remedies but it is worth every penny.
http://www.twinpines.com/
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby victoriavictrix » Tue May 06, 2014 1:45 am

You can have cheap. You can have doll-safe. You cannot have both.

I second K2's advice.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby MitisFeles » Tue May 06, 2014 3:21 am

Hi Nikita,

I used to remove ball point marks from vinyl dolls and toys simply leaving them out exposed in the sunlight for two or three days. You don't have to put them in direct sunlight, I usually put them on my balcony were there is always a bit of shade.
I don't know if this affect the vinyl coloration, when I used this method I never noticed colors fading, but I fear it can vary from dolls to dolls, so if you really care from preserving the exact color tone of your doll don't try this and just follow K2 advice.
MitisFeles
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Tasuke » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

my Miku-chan has very pale skin, downright alabaster-like, even.
as such, i worry about yellowing of her hollow vinyl head often. any experience/advice?
Tasuke
the walls have dolliehs

Postby zirconmermaid » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Usually if you keep the doll clean it won't yellow. In my experience when Japanese vinyl dolls yellow it is actually the sealer that is yellowing. And usually not if it is MSC or factory sealer. The discoloration on Hazel is all due to staining, not sun damage. However, if you ever do have a problem, Twin Pines of Maine. Products designed to renew vinyl dolls.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Care & Maintenance