Go to footer

Meetup in Baltimore, MD? [SUPA LONG POST]

You hope, you pray you aren't alone in your dollieh fantaticism - so organize that meetup and see who else shares your illusions and dillusions.

Forum rules
    Meetups are not organized by or controlled by the forum management who cannot be held liable for anything that occurs at them, good or bad. Meet publically, meet safely!

Meetup in Baltimore, MD? [SUPA LONG POST]

Postby VirgoVertigo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:43 am

hi! i know i haven't posted in a while, i've not been feeling so well and there hasn't been much to update on. but long story that you probably don't care about short, i want to make up for it by way of doll meetup! it'd be so so fun, the last time i heard of a doll meetup in Baltimore was back when my sister was into the Blythe hobby!
this is more of a proposal; i want to know what you all think. i've never been to a doll meetup, so ... so why not host one? <:3c i can't think it would be boring!
so yeah, all this information is just a rough draft and not set in stone, and i'd love suggestions:

WHERE: i was thinking somewhere on the Avenue in either Hampden or White Marsh.
IN HAMPDEN'S AVENUE, there's a few possible places. i'm sure that big antique store with three floors wouldn't mind having us as long as we're quiet, King's Pizza although it is small is pretty lax and has good food (and ice cream ^^), the Royal Farms has the top floor of just tables to fit a larger group, and since it's all big corporate blah blah better things to worry about they probably can't kick us out for being weird. :lol: Atomic Books is one of the best places, since they do weirdo meetups all the time, but i would have to ask them first, which shouldn't be too much of a problem if i explained that the group is small. maybe they'd even be willing to lend us a few chairs? plus, they have a bar in the back for all the older owners.
CONCERNING WHITE MARSH'S AVENUE, Barnes & Noble is the most obvious place to have it, and they have a Starbucks, so that's delish. We could all see a movie maybe at AMC, but i'm kind of on the fence with that because it's so public. we do have to respect other people who don't understand the hobby. food places are nice, so Z Burger could be a good idea if we keep in mind the safety and cleanliness of our dolls. their shakes are amazing, if you've never been there. the place in White Marsh that might make the most sense is the AC Moore's, because it's a craft store and dolls wouldn't really seem weird at all. they don't sell a lot of fabric, but it smells nice in there and they sell little fudge bricks sometimes.
i pick these places because they're public and a lot safer than my house or something. it isn't that i don't trust you guys, because i do, but safety has to be thought of anyway. plus, my house smells like dogs. again, i'd LOOOOVE suggestions on location.
EDIT: Burdick Park is also being considered. It is a very wide open space with (usually) very few people, while still being public.

WHEN: don't wanna start too early, don't wanna start too late ... 1PM-5PM on March 1st or 8th? gives anyone travelling a distance some time to get home. i also pick this time because it is a good stretch of time-- 2 hours. this is my first meetup i'm planning, so i don't want to have anyone sitting around awkwardly for too long. i picked March 1st or 8th because it can't be too soon, but if it's too distant i'll forget entirely. i'm leaning more toward the 8th to give more prep time, (i see meetups planned like 3 months in advance sometimes @_@) and also because the weather here is shitting all over everybody so it would give things time to clear up. EDIT: changed time. 2 extra hours.

WHO: anyone! seriously, bring anyone, they don't have to have a doll! anyone who wants to come should come. it'll be fun!

RULES N' STUFF: rules, huh ... okay, um, so don't touch anybody's dolls without permission, don't touch any PERSON without permission, wipe or wash your hands after eating if we or you decide to eat, be respectful of your fellow doll owners or lack thereof, and PLEEEASE be respectful to the people at the establishment we decide to locate to. wherever it happens, it's super nice of them to let us hang around. be kind to employees, indoor voices, profane language and behavior to a minimum, etc etc. just as such, be nice to the people outside of the hobby and stuff that are milling around normally. normal rules, you know? nothing too special.

SHOULD I BRING SOMETHING?: aside from yourself? nothing's required. but i recommend bringing money in case you get hungry or want to buy something. i also recommend bringing a doll if you have one, of course~ i might bring a few supplies for keeping your hands clean, like baby wipes. if you have anything of the sort to bring, feel free!

so that's that. please tell me if you'd be willing to come, suggestions, complaints, etc. i'm so excited! hosting an event sounds like so much fun, and such a good challenge!
Last edited by VirgoVertigo on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More Waifu Will Ruin Your Laifu

MLP Arena: PuddingPie
Instagram: @virgo_vertigo (check out my store, @vergo_vertigo_shop !)
VirgoVertigo
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Meetup in Baltimore, MD? [SUPA LONG POST]

Postby Stormlight » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Honestly, two hours doesn't seem like a lot of time, especially for those who have to travel distances to get there. I know for me, it takes almost two hours to drive that distance, and for only a two hour meet that just isn't worth the gas.

Every meet I've ever attended and/or hosted have been no less than four hours long. That way if people are running late, they won't miss half the fun, plus there is enough time for cleaning up/putting dolls and such away at the end without cutting significantly into meetup time (in my experience it's generally a good idea to start packing it up at least half an hour before the group needs to be gone, depending on location).

As for location, some people don't feel too comfortable in a highly public place. A lot of strangers stopping and staring, things risk being stolen when backs are turned, ect. I once attended a meetup at the Harbor and it was PACKED. There was some event going on so it was even busier than usual. I spent most of the time worrying about somebody sneaking in and swiping a doll or camera or purse in all the confusion. That didn't happen, luckily, but it could have.

I always prefer something a little quieter. If you don't feel comfortable using your house, there is always the option of renting out a conference room in a library or something. That way there is space to display dolls and you have privacy away from prying eyes (and potential grabby hands from children and such). Many places even allow us to bring food as long as we clean up after ourselves and don't make a lot of noise. Seating is generally provided, as well. It doesn't hurt to look around for some options.

Edit: I don't know if you're a member of DOA, but there is a rather large Maryland group that meets at least once a month in some mall. You can find the thread in the meetups section of the community subforum.
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Meetup in Baltimore, MD? [SUPA LONG POST]

Postby VirgoVertigo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Stormlight wrote:Honestly, two hours doesn't seem like a lot of time, especially for those who have to travel distances to get there. I know for me, it takes almost two hours to drive that distance, and for only a two hour meet that just isn't worth the gas.

Every meet I've ever attended and/or hosted have been no less than four hours long. That way if people are running late, they won't miss half the fun, plus there is enough time for cleaning up/putting dolls and such away at the end without cutting significantly into meetup time (in my experience it's generally a good idea to start packing it up at least half an hour before the group needs to be gone, depending on location).

As for location, some people don't feel too comfortable in a highly public place. A lot of strangers stopping and staring, things risk being stolen when backs are turned, ect. I once attended a meetup at the Harbor and it was PACKED. There was some event going on so it was even busier than usual. I spent most of the time worrying about somebody sneaking in and swiping a doll or camera or purse in all the confusion. That didn't happen, luckily, but it could have.

I always prefer something a little quieter. If you don't feel comfortable using your house, there is always the option of renting out a conference room in a library or something. That way there is space to display dolls and you have privacy away from prying eyes (and potential grabby hands from children and such). Many places even allow us to bring food as long as we clean up after ourselves and don't make a lot of noise. Seating is generally provided, as well. It doesn't hurt to look around for some options.

Edit: I don't know if you're a member of DOA, but there is a rather large Maryland group that meets at least once a month in some mall. You can find the thread in the meetups section of the community subforum.

time can be changed quite easily, i'm actually glad it can be longer. 4 hours sounds like a lot of fun! i just was worried about boring people ...

to balance both, Hampden's Avenue might be best. it's relatively quiet there, and if we did it at atomic books it would be even nicer-- the only people that go in there are people that are into geeky and weird stuff. it can get a bit crowded in the right wing of the store, but the left wing is full of extra stuff and i'm pretty much 500% sure that only the people that work there go inside. the antique store is also a nice option because not only is it kind of empty, but it is also large. if someone comes in the store, it's unlikely they'll really come near us unless we seat ourselves in a populated part of the store. the problem arises when the store is a bit cluttered with stuff. the attic is the least cluttered at the front, where there are old chairs and furniture to sit on. depending on how large the group would be, i could scout out another place. i don't feel as if i could rent anything. i don't have money.
there's always parks, such as Burdick-- it makes me nervous hosting it there, but it's relatively empty and the only people who really go through are people walking dogs or stopping to put their kids in the swing. it's kind of big though, so we could have it in the fieldy part, among the trees, at the tables, behind the tennis court, or in the actual park part. also, i know it's fine, i've seen lots of strange meetups there, including LARPs and cosplay groups. it might be alright to go to the park. what do you think? too urban? it is right outside a bit of a shady area, but the park itself is fine.
More Waifu Will Ruin Your Laifu

MLP Arena: PuddingPie
Instagram: @virgo_vertigo (check out my store, @vergo_vertigo_shop !)
VirgoVertigo
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Return to Board index

Return to Meetups