Go to footer

Doh! Dollieh Mistakes and Regrets

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Doh! Dollieh Mistakes and Regrets

Postby Kirahfaye » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

So, have you ever ordered a doll or accessory and when you got it you realized you made a big mistake or quickly regretted the purchase? I thought this could be a good place to share our "oppses".

About 3 months ago I bought a 2005 modded eye Luts/CP Juri SD girl for a character I had in mind. I knew she'd need a faceup eventually, but regardless I kept feeling like she wasn't fitting the character somehow. I just couldn't figure out "how". Until a couple of days ago when I realized what the problem was. My character is human and she's - obviously - an elf! Doh! (Thankfully I might be trading her head with a friend at the doll meet this weekend.)
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Re: Doh! Dollieh Mistakes and Regrets

Postby Jobee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Shoes. Seriously, shoes. Why's it so hard to find shoes that fit? Why do their feet all have to be different shapes and sizes? I can't remember how many times I've ordered and received shoes that don't fit my dolls.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:12 pm

For me, it's "The one's that got away" My grail doll is Resinsoul Mei, yet it's never until I've spent a lot of money on something, I realize I could've spent that saving up for one...I'm planning on getting her somehow before the end of the year.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

So many accessories! Shoes, like Jobee. Even when I've measured the feet again, rechecked the measurements of the shoes I'm buying, I still end up with ones that are too large. Or occasionally too small or tight. The funniest are the lace ugg-style boots, which just slide straight off my Doll Chateau without any provocation!

Then there's wigs. Somehow I never see the photos that show them as being a foot long or floofier than a poodle after a blow dry. They always seem to look a reasonable length in the pics, and sleek. And as I can't style wigs for toffee (although maybe I could with toffee... :lol: ) I have binned quite a few (they were unrescuable after my botched attempts at styling.)

And I don't buy dolls to match characters any more - it's only sort-of worked out once for me (I saw a pic of the doll, and the character jumped into my mind at that point). I buy dolls because I like them, and sort the character out after. I've sold and swapped more than I care to remember because of that :(
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby K2! » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:37 pm

When I started it was shoes, because all SD feet are the same size, right?
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Qrinta » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Biggest oops was not quite understanding the difference between peach gold and special real skin on the iplehouse website. The pictures I was looking at were labeled wrong and I realized after ordering my girl that I'd ordered the wrong color. Love her to bits but I do still want to get her in the right color eventually. XD
Qrinta's Cantankery

If you like Legend of Korra/Disney and cutesy art in general (like my avi) consider checking out my bestie's Patreon Some content is NSFW.
Qrinta
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:47 am

I don't have much regrets on the buying front being so fussy in terms of what I want from a doll before coughing out all that cash.

I do regret not doing enough research when rerooting Obi-Chun. Made a mistake of not parting her hair all the way to the back for twin tails and now I don't dare remove all that hair to try on her current head. There was already some damage done during the reooting process. I bought a spare head but never got around to rerooting that one since Obi-Chun isn't doing active Chun Li duty lately.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby DollyKim » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:39 am

Rerooting base Ghoulia but I was able to trade the reroot and get one in return. I suffer from "why did I buy that" in general so I have to remember not to take it out on the dolls. Yet I still have a few non customs I could part with and not care either way.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby OkamiKodomo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 am

Trying to open the eyes on the Obitsu boy head that came with the 55cm boy I JUST got. I should have practiced a bit more on a monster high doll or something. I ended up giving the head to my girlfriend and I'm going to get a different head for him. Just need to find one in the right size.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Trethowan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Yeah... I'm jumping in on the shoes. *points to Jim's giant feet* I have a truck load of shoes that don't fit anyone.

And eyeballs!! I have so many eyes that I thought would work but didn't. I don't even want to start talking about wigs and saggy jeans.

I regret spending some of my doll money on impulse buys like the Hujoos. They don't fit my collection and I can't seem to sell them. Meh. I don't regret any other dolls, though. I've been happy with everyone. I regret not buying the Obitsu Alice when she was in stock at Junkyspot cause I ended up paying way more.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'