Go to footer

Artificial Hair types/wig making advice?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: Artificial Hair types/wig making advice?

Postby richila » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:50 am

If you do the concentric circles from the center to place the locs, you can get the swept back look by dampening the locs and then using a pony tail holder or scrunchy over the hair and around the doll's head and let it stay until dry. Wool is like hair, it will take a set if you wet it and let it dry. That is how I shaped Richi's bangs.

ImageNew wig side view by Valerie Kelley, on Flickr
ImageNew wig back view by Valerie Kelley, on Flickr
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Artificial Hair types/wig making advice?

Postby Vetinari » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks so much for all of the encouragement, links to tutorials and tips guys! Hopefully my effort will be at least halfway decent when compared to your spectacular wigs!

(Sorry I haven't been properly online for the last couple of weeks - laptop was playing up, and phone would not stay logged on on here long enough to post anything - that and when I have been able to get on I've been a bit too excited about Iron Man 3.5 (sorry Captain America Civil War) to actually get away from the media sites :oops: Even though everything Iron Man related from Phase 2 onwards of the MCU has been a tad disappointing... Stupid Disney. Stark is not stupid enough to have made Ultron, and he's a loveable arse not an out an out sexist rape joke dropping **** :evil: )

The wool turned up the other day, though I need to finish a previous project and clean up my workspace first. Given that most of the dread-making tutorials strongly suggest that you keep the wool in it's bags so it doesn't get dust and other crud embedded in it, I somehow suspect that copious amounts of glue and paint wouldn't do it much good!

Gods - even though by-weight I've just about got enough for two attempts it looks like an absolutely massive amount of material. If it works out I'm so going to be doing it again for another doll whose style is completely unknown right now, but I do know enough about the sculpt that the head-shape means custom wigs are definitely mandatory!
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
...reshelling Szesil Markowski and Garan Idasson
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'