Go to footer

Quick Eye Size Question

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Quick Eye Size Question

Postby Kadyssa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:53 am

The root of the question is, are all 14mm eyes going to fit in all dolls that are labeled to take 14mm eyes?

My Candice arrived (YAY!) with yellow glass(?) eyes, but I hated the color so bad on the pink skin that I popped them out as soon as I got her out of the box. Candice & my Hujoo Phoebe are both listed to take 14mm eyes, so I decided to try them in my Phoebe, but despite my best efforts they seem to be sitting really far back in the sockets. I think they might be too big, but as this is the first pair of eyes I've ever had it's pretty safe to say I might not know what I'm doing. :lol:

Should I order 12mm eyes instead of 14mm for Phoebe? Is it possible that the eyes I have are just a bit on the large side?

I took pictures of the eyes in my Phoebe, but I've blown a fan in my computer and I can't figure out where to stick my sd card in this one... Hopefully my computer will be up and running again soon, I'll upload the photos when it is.
Kadyssa
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Quick Eye Size Question

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:14 pm

I think the doming on the eye can affect how well it sits in the socket, even if both the socket and the eye are nominally the same diameter.

I've also found with a lot of my dolls that the eye size seems to be more of a guideline, and going up or down a size can look better.
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Shyla » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:04 pm

The quick answer is No, not all 14mm eyes are going to fit.

The long answer.....

You can generally go up or down a size, or even 2 depending on the eye well shape, and the dome shape of the eyes themselves.

Here's three different eyes I tried to put in Ciero. High, medium and low dome. 18mm, 16mm 16mm

Image1456332935852 by tenasilvertear, on Flickr

Here's showing the gap with the 16mm medium dome, the 18mm were ridiculous, i don't think i took pictures.

Image1456334728808 by tenasilvertear, on Flickr

Here's his permanent eyes, They're 18mm eyeco silicon eyes. Super low domes, squishy, so easy to force into his eye wells.
Image20160613_155435 by tenasilvertear, on Flickr
my tumblr
my flickr
Ciero (RS Mu), Viridia (Gem of Doll Snowy on Resinsoul Ai body), Celia (RS Sophia), Nerri (IOS Luce) and Valnar (IOS Jaguar)
Shyla
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Kadyssa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks guys! I had been mostly disregarding dome shapes as I shopped for eyes, I'm glad it's the free pair that are teaching me a lesson.

The eyes I have look most similar to the eyes on the far left of Shyla's picture, mine might be a bit flatter in the sclera with a slightly steeper 'bubble' over the iris. I double checked the fit in my Candice while I had an eye out to look at it; it fits perfectly in Candice. The eye wells on the Phoebe appear smaller than on the Candice, but I think the actual eye opening is bigger on the Phoebe (if that matters?) Candice could definitely fit bigger eyes, from the looks of the eye wells, but 14mm fills the whole eye well in Phoebe.

I guess now the question is: can I compensate for dome height by going up or down an eye size?

The eyes I'm set on ordering are from an Etsy shop called Candy Kitten's Emporium, and I think they would be considered low dome. I feel like these eyes could fit better in the Phoebe, but now I'm paranoid about the fit in my Candice.

On the other (unlikely) hand, if anyone is familiar with eyes from Candy Kitten's Emporium and Hujoo Phoebe or DollZone Candice and can give me a quick answer on which eye sizes will fit, that works too! :lol:
Kadyssa
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Kirahfaye » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:06 am

Also, don't forget the shape of the eye. Most made for bjds are round, but there are oval ones also which tend to fill the eye opening from side to side better and have a flat dome, but can have a fake look if they are made for regular baby doll sculpts. And you want to decide what size iris/pupil you perfer. Large tends to create a youthful look, while smaller (and more difficult to find) gives a more mature look to the sculpt.

As for Candy Kitten, well, the 2 pairs I bought looked fabulous (and I sold/traded them right away to friends), but the 16mm size I bought barely fit the eye wells of my Luts dolls and the pupils covered nearly the entire eye opening. A club friend verified that they were indeed 16mm, but ... thick, I guess you could say. Beautiful, but sadly I couldn't use them.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Kadyssa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:57 pm

And I thought eyes and wigs would be simple. :roll:

Thank you, Kirahfaye, for the direct input on Candy Kitten. You got me thinking about the iris size, so I got to looking at the pictures again and decided the irises in Candy Kitten's LittleFee Bisou looked quite large. I sent a message through Etsy asking about downsizing the iris when I order a pair, so now I wait! I figure if the iris can be made smaller, I'll order a pair for my Candace and check the fit in my Phoebe before I order hers.
Kadyssa
i see dead dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'