Go to footer

Help with a colour decision?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Help with a colour decision?

Postby Vetinari » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Currently mid-way through a bit of a colour experiment on a cheapo Iron Man: the base coat colours are more or less finished, various dark gunmetal / metallic blue shades.

The figure looks somewhat reminiscent of Warmachine's colourways at the moment actually, though I'm vaguely aiming for my own take on a Stealth armour.

Having a bit of an indecisive moment about the next step - after the detail work and a layer of flat clear to even everything out should I go for clear blue or clear red for the top coat?

Couple of rubbish phone photos:

With flash

Natural light

https://flic.kr/p/TgxQNy
Last edited by Vetinari on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
...reshelling Szesil Markowski and Garan Idasson
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Re: Help with a colour decision?

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Think I'd probably go with the blue
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Vetinari » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks yeah the initial plan was blue over greys/blacks. But then I had a bit of an inkling of how sinister red over black could look and got all indecisive about it; but the base colours were all geared towards using blue later so you're probably right.
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Jobee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:49 pm

I agree on the blue. Good luck! Can't wait to see it done!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Vetinari » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:21 am

Thanks! Yeah blue it is. I'll definitely put up photos of the result - of course sods law means that the particular brand of transparent blue appears to be out of stock at absolutely all of my usual hobbyist haunts, with one lone overpriced can available on Amazon at the moment :roll: but given that I've already done the time-consuming bit I'm determined to finish this guy and see how the blue interacts with the darker undercoats.
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:12 am

I've been seeing this t-shirt pop up at cons lately.

All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Vetinari » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:27 am

Ooh that design is pretty cool - if I didn't have far too many t-shirts (so many :lol: ) I'd be tempted to go to a con and see if I could find it, love that the arc-reactor seems to be part of the anvil
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Vetinari » Sun May 07, 2017 8:16 am

Blue! So much blue! My take on a stealth version of the mk43:

He's far far bluer IRL - but the camera doesn't seem to want to pick up the darker shades even under direct sunlight. Still, you get the idea. (A few things went horribly wrong on this repaint in a way that I've not had happen in years but after much swearing and a bit of a rescue emergency wipe/repaint here he is in his slightly crude glory.)

He's no where near as polished as the professional jobs, but he doesn't look bad for an amateur repaint of a bootleg.

And a better representation of the colours:

I'll definitely be picking up a decent face-plate at some point down the line, it was the one part of this cheapo figure that looked really cruddy - hence the extra experimental textural stuff going on!
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'