Go to footer

Heat Treating a wig for bugs

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Heat Treating a wig for bugs

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 pm

So, if you ever find that you have to heat treat one (or more) of your doll wigs because you have an insect invasion (like bed bugs for example), get one of those mesh bags they make to wash/dry delicates in and put them in there before you throw the wigs in the dryer. They are more likely to come out just a nicely as they went in and less likely to come out looking like the doll stuck it's finger in a light socket.

yes, this is bitter experience speaking :(
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Re: Heat Treating a wig for bugs

Postby Dark Angel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm

:o Yikes. Sorry! But thanks for the tip. I work in a dormitory and we get bed bugs every so often. Luckily none of them have made their way to my house. *crosses fingers* *knocks on wood*
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Kirahfaye » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Ooooh, okay - thanks for the info and sorry for your learning experience..... :shock:
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am

*shivers* Ugh, bedbugs . . . My grandmother used to work in a hotel, and she brought them home with her when the hotel got them. It literally took us a year to get them under control because a few ALWAYS managed to escape and repopulate. Just when we thought they were gone, we'd find another little cluster, and it didn't help that my mother refused to let us treat her room because she vowed and declared she didn't have them. -_- This is a useful tip, though. I wonder if it works on stuffed animals, too?

(Also, I was planning on buying one of those lingerie bags today to wash doll clothes in because I'm stocking my 23cm Obitsu girl's closet with secondhand Bratz clothes, and I'm tired of spending hours washing them in the sink. :P)
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 pm

lingerie bags are PERFECT for washing small doll clothing! You don't run the risk of having tiny socks and things sucked into the lint catch! Yes, been there, done that.

I'm on week 2 of bedbug treatment - one more week to go before I can move back into my apartment and start hosing my dolls down with rubbing alcohol. It's going to be a loooong december!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Kattriella » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Greyhaunt wrote:lingerie bags are PERFECT for washing small doll clothing! You don't run the risk of having tiny socks and things sucked into the lint catch! Yes, been there, done that.

I'm on week 2 of bedbug treatment - one more week to go before I can move back into my apartment and start hosing my dolls down with rubbing alcohol. It's going to be a loooong december!

I used one to wash Sheen's jeans and dark shirts in today. (That's fun to say, Sheen's jeans.) She's a 23cm Obitsu doll, so her whole wardrobe consists of Bratz and a few Monster High clothes. Lingerie bag was the only way her favorite tank top WASN'T going down the drain. O-O

Good luck with the debugging. It's a nightmare, I know . . .
Kattriella

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:31 am

Greyhaunt wrote:lingerie bags are PERFECT for washing small doll clothing! You don't run the risk of having tiny socks and things sucked into the lint catch! Yes, been there, done that.

Lingerie bag.... Okay this means no more soaking tiny 1/6 clothes and bigger doll undies in a re-purpose ice cream tub before rinsing in the sink.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:13 am

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:

Lingerie bag.... Okay this means no more soaking tiny 1/6 clothes and bigger doll undies in a re-purpose ice cream tub before rinsing in the sink.

They're usually only a couple of dollars, and well worth the money. I was trying to wash a dozen or so pairs of tiny jeans I'd just bought secondhand because 1.) I always wash my secondhand stuff, and 2.) They smelled . . . odd. And they didn't FEEL clean. After over an hour, the water was filthy and they still didn't feel clean. So the next day I bought a lingerie bag from work, then tossed them in with my own jeans on laundry day. Now they smell like Gain, and feel so nice because they also got a dose of fabric softener in the wash. :3
Kattriella

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 am

Kattriella wrote:They're usually only a couple of dollars, and well worth the money. I was trying to wash a dozen or so pairs of tiny jeans I'd just bought secondhand because 1.) I always wash my secondhand stuff, and 2.) They smelled . . . odd. And they didn't FEEL clean. After over an hour, the water was filthy and they still didn't feel clean. So the next day I bought a lingerie bag from work, then tossed them in with my own jeans on laundry day. Now they smell like Gain, and feel so nice because they also got a dose of fabric softener in the wash. :3

Lol~~~ It never occurred to me to get lingerie bag, it was always two or three pieces of tiny outfits that needed washing from time to time. Now I know how to solve at least one problem.

I understand about needing to wash secondhand clothes another time. Some of my first hand stuff were unused but they ended up yellowing and I had to wash those as well.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby DollyKim » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 am

I'd still opt for delicate cycle on an older machine. Ours occasionally traps things under the agitator.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'