Go to footer

You Might Be a Doll Collector If . . .

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

You Might Be a Doll Collector If . . .

Postby Kattriella » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:27 pm

. . . You just received a secondhand doll you've been searching for in the mail today and are planning to spend the next several hours performing much needed TLC to fix her once gorgeous hair. Bonus points if it's already after midnight.

Update: One hour later, and she's looking much better. Her matter hair is untangled and hanging in (very damp curls) again. Thank the dollieh gods for wig brushes and leave in conditioner because they made what would have been a several hours long job so much easier. I have more work to do, since age has removed some of the curl from this poor girl's hair, so she'll need a boil perm to get her hair back to it's true glory, but she's already looking great.

The doll I'm working on is a Generation Girl Chelsie Barbie doll, by the way. She was in almost perfect condition except for being a little dusty and her hair being matted. It wasn't matted from play, just from being an almost twenty-year-old doll who has been moved from shelf to shelf over the years. And she came with most/all of her accessories, so yay! :)
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: You Might Be a Doll Collector If . . .

Postby DollyKim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:29 am

Pics or I can't see if it's like my Chelsie. Mine has never had brushable hair, it's always been in tight curly dreads.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:03 am

Yes, pics please I would love to see the doll. I just ordered a used Generation Girl Barbie doll too and I am waiting for it to arrive.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Pics are coming as soon as I get a day off so I can set up my lighting to get a decent photo. (Which I hope is soon . . . This no days off thing at work is killing me . . .)
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Update: I found an empty corner of my dresser she can sit on. Lighting is bad, but you can kind of see her hair in this one. I haven't had time to recurl her hair yet, but it's not tangled anymore.

Last edited by Kattriella on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 pm

By the outfit it looks like the one I have, I've never been able to do anything with her hair. Aside from a couple of locks at the front her hair comes in tangled textured almost dreads. She's the guitar playing hippie chick of the group. :)
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:32 pm

DollyKim wrote:By the outfit it looks like the one I have, I've never been able to do anything with her hair. Aside from a couple of locks at the front her hair comes in tangled textured almost dreads. She's the guitar playing hippie chick of the group. :)

I used a wig brush I bought for my BJD wigs back in the day before I switched to 1:6 fashion dolls. I used that and a LOT of conditioner, with some cool/cold water, and about an hour's worth of patience. Her hair was basically one huge dreadlock when she came to me. Her face in the pictures from the listing just spoke to me, saying, "I know you have the patience to help me. Please, save me . . ."

She's still chilling on my dresser so the cats don't knock her over and tangle her up again.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:35 pm

Next up on the list of "You Might Be a Doll Collector If . . . "

. . . If you buy a lingerie bag specifically for washing secondhand doll clothes so you stop spending so many hours washing tiny pants in the sink and waiting them to dry overnight (and hoping the cats don't steal them).
Kattriella

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:45 pm

how about if you husband is folding the laundry and finds a small dress in it?
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Kattriella » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:31 pm

zirconmermaid wrote:how about if you husband is folding the laundry and finds a small dress in it?

:lol: I think that counts, yes.
Kattriella

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'