Go to footer

Netflix - The Toys That Made Us is worth a watch

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Netflix - The Toys That Made Us is worth a watch

Postby Eseme » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Hello!

If you are interested in the history toys (including dolls like Barbie and action figured like GI Joe) I highly recommend the documentary on Netflix called The Toys That Made Us.

The intro says it is an 8 part documentary series, currently 4 episodes are up on Netflix with the rest due later this year.

Episode 1 is about the Star Wars toys (and how Hasbro lost the most lucrative toy license ever).

Episode 2 is about Barbie (and worth watching for the female executives gloating about how they beat Hasbro's Jem to market with Barbie and the Rockers by essentually spying on Hasbro and then paying to rush production).

Episode 3 is He-Man (again, awesome staff interviews).

Episode 4 is about GI Joe, and includes a very rare interview with the man who pitched the idea to Hasbro and took a one-time lump sum payment (and thus lost out on hundreds of thousands of dollars) - you can hear the voice of the inventor of GI Joe.

Really great series for anyone who is a toy fan, and interested in production, design, and the people behind toy creation. Really good interviews with people who were there. I really enjoyed it.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Netflix - The Toys That Made Us is worth a watch

Postby ugg333 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:23 pm

Thank you!
Watching now
ugg333
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Tasuke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Tasuke
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Stormlight » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:44 am

I watched it a few weeks back, and it was really interesting. I just wish it had more episodes. There are SO many franchises to be explored. Transformers (which have their roots in GI Joe), My Little Pony, the Cabbage Patch Kids, etc....

I did love that Barbie was created after a Swedish (or Swiss? I forget which country) sex doll, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 am

Bild Lily was German.

Why we accept dolls and other human representations with distortions is in the How Art Made the World episode More Human Than Human. It's an eye opener to why we like the dolls we do in a good way.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Eseme » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am

Stormlight - Season 2 is now up, and includes Transformers! Including interviews with the original Japanese designers!
Also Hello Kitty!

I really enjoyed this series.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Stormlight » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Yep, I watched the whole season already. Now eagerly waiting for season three! lol
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'