Go to footer

Facial staining on pale vinyl

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Facial staining on pale vinyl

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am

Ok, since this involves the Apple White EAH I got on E-bay, I could have put it under 1/6 scale, but let's face it vinyl staining can happen to any size doll. Anyhow, the doll was positioned in such a way in the auction that I did not see the stains. They actually look like bruises. I mean, I get that I bought one without clothes, but this is the first time I've bought a nude doll and had them arrive looking like they were LITERALLY mugged.

I have thus far tried soap and water, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and then a light touch with my dremel (some may remember that as my preferred method for partial removal of faceups)... all with no result. I'm starting to wonder if EAH dolls can get cabbage pox. My eyesight isn't too great these days... There are two smudges on her cheek and one on her forehead, the last is the easiest one to see.

Anyone out there have any other suggestions I could try for removing these before I resort to the Heavy Artillery (aka bleaching them with zit creme)?
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Facial staining on pale vinyl

Postby DollyKim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Maybe try the blue Dawn? I just used it to get art ink out of fabric.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:41 am

DollyKim wrote:Maybe try the blue Dawn? I just used it to get art ink out of fabric.

That was the soap I tried in the 'soap and water' to start with. (All the other soap in the house is homemade except for my shampoo.) I'll try it again, tho, and maybe let it set or give it more of a soak this time.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Did you do isopropyl alcohol with the magic eraser?
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 am

zirconmermaid wrote:Did you do isopropyl alcohol with the magic eraser?

So far I've tried both alcohol and, due to a website suggesting on cleaning vinyl clothing, vinegar. Neither made a dent. At this point I've rubbed off part of her faceup, but the stains are still there. Can't find the zit creme (haven't done doll things in a while due to a Bad Year), and am starting to think I'll have to somehow paint over the spots or work them into my OOAKing plans somehow.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 am

Are the stains fresh? I've had a couple of dolls with smudges that appeared to get lighter or soak in after time leaving just a bit of a shadow.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:23 pm

DollyKim wrote:Are the stains fresh? I've had a couple of dolls with smudges that appeared to get lighter or soak in after time leaving just a bit of a shadow.

I've no idea. I bought her secondhand off Ebay and she arrived with them - unexpectedly, as she was positioned in such a way in the auction photo that they were mostly hidden (and my poor eyesight lately did the rest). Only after she arrived and I saw them was I able to go back and spot the edge of the cheek ones in the photo.

One oddity I've noticed is that they look lighter viewed from the left (mine, not the doll's) than from the right, as if there's a shift in opacity with the angle. I could try more pictures tomorrow if it might be helpful. Bedtime for me though.

(quick update: I have stumbled on a page for removing stains from vinyl purses. I may give some of these things an attempt tommorow, possibly making video. Might as well make an experiment of it since it's being so stubborn. Butter would never have occurred to me as a thing to try...)
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'