Go to footer

Cortex Smart Doll

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Cortex Smart Doll

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 am

The slightly cheaper Cortex Smart Doll is now available. Both kit form and pre-built. I may have ordered a Ninja Grade Kit... the really difficult Final Boss Grade sold out super fast. If you like building models, and also like Smart Doll, this is irresistible. Prices seem to have gone up a little on clothes and wigs, but not too much for limited products with high demand. I think the Cortex will be similar to Hujoo ABS dolls. I will keep you posted!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Re: Cortex Smart Doll

Postby davidd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check this out. I'm curious to see what the prices are for the Cortex versions.

I'm also curious about the price increases on other items. :roll:
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby davidd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:29 pm

:o All sold out already!
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 pm

There will be more. One of the big points of the cortex was how fast the injection molding process is (once it's set up) and no where near as labor intensive as the slush molding of vinyl parts.

By the way, I was able to get up close and personal with a cortex this past weekend. They have a nice heft, not what you might expect if when you think "injection molding" you think model cars and planes. The joints perform as expected. The plastic has a nice feel and matte look to it. Not at all shiny. The seaming is present but not obtrusive and practically disappears from 2 feet or more. The one noticeable difference in the appearance is there is a visible recessed screw head on the inner ankles. It has to do with how the ankle/foot is connected. It is not very noticeable but if it bugs anyone, you can make little plugs similar to those sold by Obitsu for their old 60cm bodies, which had similar screw heads at almost every joint. Pricing wise they are less than a full vinyl but they will of course never be priced as low as some people want.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby davidd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:31 pm

K2! wrote:By the way, I was able to get up close and personal with a cortex this past weekend.

So, bottom line, are they nice enough that you would consider adding one or more to your crew? Based on what I've seen in your photos and stories, you have high standards for the appearance of your figures, and have spent years upgrading bodies and heads. After having owned several vinyl Smart Dolls, would you delve in to the world of Cortex? Would you consider it a "step backwards" or "downwards" in quality? Is the price/quality ratio such that you would consider Cortex over vinyl?
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:19 am

zirconmermaid wrote:Prices seem to have gone up a little on clothes and wigs,

But you don't have to buy the Smart-Specific wigs, and anyone who sews doesn't need to buy clothes. There's free Smart Doll patterns on the website and it's easy enough to take those three basic pieces and apply the measurements to 60 cm resin doll patterns--plus they fit the same size as Dollfie Dream and there are some lovely patterns already for those.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Pricing:

Full Boss grade was ¥29800 I think

Ninja Boss grade was ¥34800 (it’s on my order form)

Fully Assembled was something like ¥42000 (I can’t remember exactly)

Editing because fully assembled was¥39800

Right now the exchange rate is favorable, $1.00 is ¥93.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby davidd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:04 pm

Thank you for posting the prices. The prices disappeared from the web site when the versions sold out.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 pm

davidd wrote:So, bottom line, are they nice enough that you would consider adding one or more to your crew? Based on what I've seen in your photos and stories, you have high standards for the appearance of your figures, and have spent years upgrading bodies and heads. After having owned several vinyl Smart Dolls, would you delve in to the world of Cortex? Would you consider it a "step backwards" or "downwards" in quality? Is the price/quality ratio such that you would consider Cortex over vinyl?

I was never very interested in them since the first day they were announced. I don't plan on buying one, but I can't say I'd never buy one. Who knows, there might be a modding project over the horizon and modifying a hard plastic skin part would be much easier than doing the same work on a soft and squishy vinyl part.
So having owned several vinyl Smart Dolls, would you delve in to the world of Cortex? Probably not.
Would you consider it a "step backwards" or "downwards" in quality? Because of the different material, cost, etc. More like sideways.
Is the price/quality ratio such that you would consider Cortex over vinyl? No. It's a less expensive doll out of a different material. It's a different animal in my book.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Qrinta » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 am

While I am interested in cortex this video has convinced me to go for the fully assembled one. XD
Kodama’s Cortex Build: https://youtu.be/tOLqMSR6qsk
Qrinta's Cantankery

If you like Legend of Korra/Disney and cutesy art in general (like my avi) consider checking out my bestie's Patreon Some content is NSFW.
Qrinta
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'