Go to footer

Illustration of Recast Hell

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Illustration of Recast Hell

Postby embyquinn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Okay, I'll admit it. I have been sorely tempted, from time to time, to purchase a recast. I cruise eBay, AliExpress and Amazon like nobody's business and when I see a doll I like for forty dollars I'm going to feel temptation. Who wouldn't? But I managed to resist the urge every time.

Now, of course, I'm glad I did; the new head I just finished for Chaeri is perfect for her, far beyond anything else I've seen in MSD size, and I wouldn't trade her for the fanciest legit resin BJD on the planet.

I've also haunted a few of the BJD boards on Tumblr and Reddit and I've seen firsthand the vitriol flung about regarding recasts. And most of it is flung by those who HAVE recasts, maybe in some strange effort to justify buying something they know is fake, know is wrong, and know they shouldn't have.

Tonight I was inspired to do a representation of Dante's Nine Circles of Hell regarding recasts. It might sound a bit mean, but it's how I'm feeling right now, both due to what I've seen in the trenches and from my own recent personal experiences.

If this is in the wrong place, just move it. It is about dolls, albeit fake dolls, so I didn't know where to stick it.
Last edited by embyquinn on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Illustration of Recast Hell

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm

I strongly approve of this message.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 am

Confesses to being in Limbo once in the early days of this hobby and has never knowingly returned.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby kenaiqueen » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:11 am

DollyKim wrote:Confesses to being in Limbo once in the early days of this hobby and has never knowingly returned.

Ditto. They say ignorance is no excuse, but it is a reason. Once educated, have never gone back either.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:53 pm

I like your imagery, emby!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Stormlight » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Seems legit to me! :mrgreen:
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby K2! » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:14 am

kenaiqueen wrote:They say ignorance is no excuse

Just ask a cop.
Offender "But officer, the stop sign is missing."
Cop "Tell it to the judge."
Judge "Pay the fine."
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby embyquinn » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:56 am

To the question of Limbo: Many Catholics nowadays do not consider Limbo a permanent state, and that God ultimately will grant His grace to those within during the Final Judgment since they did not get there through any fault of their own other than the "original sin" all are born with. That's why people who unknowingly by a recast are there, because they can be "redeemed" once educated and get a "get out of Recast Hell free" card. Those who go "what the hell" and keep on buying recasts anyway will proceed down the circles as indicated.

Aaaand I'm getting way too theological about this so I'm going to shut up now.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'