Go to footer

I need ideas to store lots of doll clothes

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

I need ideas to store lots of doll clothes

Postby DollyKim » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Nelly kitten decided the fabric box shaped bins I had been keeping my doll clothes in needed holes in them so I could use some ideas for storing lots of doll clothes that is a bit more kitten claw proof. I might just go with drawers/plastic bins but it would be fun to see some different ideas.

And I mean lots, several yard bags full.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: I need ideas to store lots of doll clothes

Postby Kattriella » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:55 am

I have a cat who thinks that everything is a bed, and as such, the reusable shopping bag I was using to store doll clothes in just wasn't cutting it anymore. I was finding tiny tank tops and pants string throughout the house. I actually am in the process of overhauling my doll clothing/furniture and sewing/craft supplies. I bought a heavy duty shelf to store everything on, and I'm currently sorting things into plastic shoe boxes. I get them in w pack of 5 for $4.50 at Dollar General. They're lightweight, but they stack easily and have so far been perfect for sorting shirts, shorts, skirts, etc. into individually. Then I just slap a label on the outside telling what's in it. It's even working out perfect for accessories and shoes (with each pair going in it's own little baggie before going in the box). I can separate things by what fits who, keep musical instruments separate from vanity products, and by sorting things out even further within the boxes (sorted into sandwich bags and tiny snack containers), I can just reach in and grab, say, the bracelets, or the hats, or a certain style of purse to finish off an outfit.

I have NEVER been able to keep my hobbies sorted out until now. These shoe boxes are the best thing ever ever come across, and they actually don't take up much space. I used to have those stackable plastic drawers before, but they actually broke under the weight of everything (actually, they collapsed under the weight of fabric). The shelf I bought takes up the same amount of floor space, but everything actually fits on it better and it's way sturdier. So yeah, I don't recommend the plastic drawers, speaking from experience. Especially if you're like me and they became a catch all and you had to go through every drawer to find what you were looking for, only to realize it isn't even in the drawers in the first place.

Since you have so many clothes (several bags full, as you put it) you might need slightly larger boxes, bit sorting it out into categories helps a lot. If you have a certain outfit in mind, you can just grab the boxes each piece is in and not have to go through every single clothing items you have.

As a side note, I used to keep my doll clothes separated into binders, but then my collection got too big . . .
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun May 31, 2020 5:16 pm

I don't know how well this would work for a large amount (or, for that matter, being kittenproof, depending on how much of a climber the kitten is), but i recently got some alligator-clothespins online that, when they arrived, turned out to be miniature. I have since been thinking of hanging up at least some doll outfits on the wall on a length of yarn for clothesline... Could work for just the most commonly used outfits or ones that need pulled out for repairs, or something like that.

Otherwise, clear plastic storage boxes are probably best. My own reorganization is currently In Progress, but in this case it helps that the Evil Overlord takes most of the clothes and my doll collection is practically a nudist colony because I haven't had time or space to sew.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby maywong » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 am

I sort then use plastic zip lock bags. Then I put them into clear bins with lids and table the bins.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby mollym » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:28 am

I would probably go with the clear, plastic bins. Either the shoe bins on a shelf, larger bins or the drawer types. I use the drawer types for most doll clothes. My 18" doll clothes are on small hangers in a closet, and anything that can fit on a child's hanger is also in the closet hanging like people clothes.
Man dolls.... because baby dolls come from somewhere. ;)
mollym
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'