Go to footer

Can anyone here cast 1/6 resin heads?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Can anyone here cast 1/6 resin heads?

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:10 am

Right now it's in they hypothetical stage but I am in discussion with a small group of people wanting a quad of custom figure heads. At present there is no way in any type of Hell I could do the casting or 3D printing.

They would need to be in a solid color of paintable plastic, preferably a caucasian skin tone, with a hole in the neck for a male plug. All four at once as it would be a set. Not intended for children.

If you do this type of work and can give me an estimate how much it might be, how many sets would need to be made to make it reasonable, etc please let me know so I can pass the information on.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Can anyone here cast 1/6 resin heads?

Postby Carrillo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:44 pm

I can do that, but I’d be hesitant because I’m in the U.K. and shipping will end up costing more than the heads. :cry:
I have 20+ BJDs... I was only gonna get one...
Carrillo
i see dead dolliehs

Postby mollym » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 pm

Someone on my discord group does 3D printing commissions.
https://discord.gg/ZSDnFBv
Man dolls.... because baby dolls come from somewhere. ;)
mollym
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:03 am

Thanks :) I'm still waiting to hear if they're serious but if they are I'd prefer to use someone who knows how to do doll sized stuff.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:51 pm

I cast resin heads all the time in 1/6 and 1/4, but I can't guarantee a fully uniform skintone color amongst all the heads, as I make each head individually, adding the pigment each time.

Or I can just leave them solid white and then you will need to handpaint the skintone.

I can make 1 or as many as you like. No minimum. :)

Would you need me to sand off any casting bits/blemishes or would you guys do that on your end? Just asking because it will all contribute to the pricing estimate. :)

Thanks again!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Also, MeltedCaramel who used to be on the boards here also casts 1/6 resin heads and she can do it with the skintone for sure, I believe.

But I don't know if she has a minimum or how much she charges, etc. :)

Just thought I'd mention her since I know she also casts resin heads.
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:39 am

I don't know very much about modern casting except what I've read in the Pop Sculpture book and a few other places. The final customers would be mostly non doll/hobby people and if finishing needs to be done before sending out the less painting the better.

Right now I'm gathering resources for when things go to the next step. I know at the least I'll need a set (four heads in total) for the subjects, and at that rate I might just pick an arbitrary amount.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SetsunaKou » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 am

DollyKim wrote:I don't know very much about modern casting except what I've read in the Pop Sculpture book and a few other places. The final customers would be mostly non doll/hobby people and if finishing needs to be done before sending out the less painting the better.

Right now I'm gathering resources for when things go to the next step. I know at the least I'll need a set (four heads in total) for the subjects, and at that rate I might just pick an arbitrary amount.

Great! Just send me details when you know it!

I'll also PM you MeltedCaramel's email so you can get in touch with her as well if you'd like to discuss her pricing and details. I know her casts will be 100% uniform in skintone if you needed that. :)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'