Go to footer

How to fix hair?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

How to fix hair?

Postby Stormlight » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:55 am

There’s probably a topic on this somewhere buried on this forum but I don’t feel like searching. :lol:

I just got my hands on some new Ever After High girls and straight out of the box their hair is a disaster. They both have tight “curls” but right now it looks more like something my rats would use to nest in. :roll:

I figured I’d try to fix the curls by using straws and bobby-pins to make rollers, but I’m not sure how to make them stick. Is there like some sort of recommended product that might work? Or could I use a human product like mousse to help them hold their shape? Or even a hot blow drier? I’d rather not try boiling the hair just because the dolls weren’t cheap and I don’t want to risk inadvertently destroying them.

Has anyone used something like hair mousse to fix a dolls hair before and help it hold its shape?
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: How to fix hair?

Postby SetsunaKou » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi!

I use 'Got 2 Be Glued' (yellow tube) for doll hair to stay in any style/position. It really works great! And most WalMart/Walgreens/Target have it so it's readily available.

It's best to put a bit on your fingers, then run a few drops of water over it to 'loosen' it up and make it a smoother/softer consistency. Then you just style in the hair, using the pins or whatever you use to keep the style in place while the Got2B dries. (About 2-5 hrs for super firm)

Good luck!!!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:52 pm

There's a YouTuber who goes by A Thousand Splendid Dolls who uses watered down hair gel to help hold her dolls'hair down.

As someone who has fiddled with doll hair quite a bit, I'll tell you that it's actually pretty difficult to really destroy most doll hair with hot water, if you decide to go that route. As long as the water isn't boiling, you're usually fine. The way I've done it is running in hot water for a few seconds, then ice water, then hot water again, then ice water again, back and forth a few times until you think it's done. The ice water helps rapidly cool their hair to "shock" it and set the style in place. Also, LEAVE THE CURLERS IN UNTIL IT'S COMPLETELY DRY. Taking them out while the hair is still wet can actually.ake the hair go totally limp and lose the curl you worked so hard for.

When in doubt, if you want to test out any method, pick through the hair and use a piece from either the underside where it would be hidden by the body, or the inside where it will be hidden by other hair to test on.

And now I just remembered I've been meaning to recurl the hair on my Generation Girl doll since, like, last year.
Kattriella

Postby Stormlight » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:17 am

Hi! Thanks for the advice, guys! I appreciate it. :mrgreen:

I was thinking more along the lines of accidentally melting their heads with the hot water thing, but I’ll give the running hot/cold water over their hair a try. lol

I did spend some time yesterday carefully picking apart and combing out curls. Their hair looks slightly better but could still use some work. The one especially has waves more than curls, except at the ends which are all frizzed out now. I have some curl-boosting mousse on-hand and also some Got2B texturizing cream that I think will help with taming the frizz a bit. I don’t need anything to like lacquer their hair in place, just to help hold it’s shape a bit. I just need to get to a store to get some plastic straws to cut down for rollers.

I actually have a few Monster High girls who could use a salon makeover too. My giant Gooliope has needed a hair makeover since I got her, poor thing. :lol:
Stormlight

Postby Kattriella » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:23 pm

If their heads are the same kind of material as Monster High, you'll actually melt the hair long before you melt their heads.

You may have to trim the frizz from the ends. Sometimes when the ends frizz, you can't help them, but the rest of the hair should be okay. You may be able to just trim the frizzy ends, wet the hair, and then reform the curls without heat. Just wrap them around your finger to form them back into shape and then release.

If you can post pictures, we might be able to give most specific advice.
Kattriella

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'