Go to footer

Impending Doll Purge, CANCELLED

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Impending Doll Purge, CANCELLED

Postby Jobee » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm thinking of doing a doll purge next month. It was originally just gonna be donating duplicate bodies to Goodwill, but now I'm seriously considering thinning the herd. I have 14 on display and God-knows-how-many in storage.

New Dolls from this year
Mika got a new head and a lot of new stuff
Spooka was added to my Obitsus.
Sunny and Vivi were added from Rainbow High.
Tuesday Meow and CJ Cuddles were added from Na Na Na Surprise
Also one Curvy Barbie was added.
I also just ordered a Cave Club Roaralai.

Who's on the Chopping Block
Briar Beauty and Faybelle Thorn from EAH
Ari Hauntington and Moanica D'kay from MH Reboot
All my Curvy Barbies (there are 4 if you include Squirrelgirl)
My Sailor Moon duplicates
My entire Winx collection (which I'm afraid to even look at because they've been stored in a boot box for over a decade)
Amiga, my one and only 1/3 scale doll. She's beautiful, but huge. Also, my only legal BJD...

~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe I should put some of the dolls in question in storage and see if I miss them? Most of them are discontinued and not easily replaceable. I definitely need to open the Winx box and see what state they're in. I'd really like to have space to display my Volks minis and Hujoo Berries again. They've been in storage for a while.
Last edited by Jobee on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Re: Impending Doll Purge, advice?

Postby davidd » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pm

From time to time I look at Winx Club dolls on eBay, and many of them (especially Musa) still seem to bring pretty good prices, even pre-owned and incomplete. For the Winx, I would suggest cleaning them up as much as possible, checking current listings and, more importantly, "sold" prices on eBay, and maybe putting them up for sale. If you can, calculate the shipping cost and include that in the price, and list with "Free Shipping."

US postage rates are increasing in January. The new rates take effect on January 24, so if you're thinking of selling and shipping, it might be better to do it sooner rather than later.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Kattriella » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:43 pm

I'd say the ones you aren't sure about, put into storage and see if you miss them. Nothing is worse than getting rid of an impossible to replace doll and then immediately realizing you want it back.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Tam I am » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:09 am

As I have learnt to my sorrow. :?
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby victoriavictrix » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:19 am

Clean them up. This includes their outfits. Bundle nude dolls wrapped in white tissue (TP will do) and matching clean outfits in ziploc bags with a packet of dessicant. Pack dolls away in storage.

Wait five years.

They aren't going to decrease in value at this point. But after five years some of them may become unobtainable and you'll kick yourself for having gotten rid of them.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:54 am

Toys I have had, usually in some form of storage, for 40+ years have shared space with others that are only here until I find someone else who wants them more.

The only ones I've missed were flat out stolen from me in my childhood. All the ones I've sold have turned that money in to something I wanted more and quite a few made the year of the buyer who had been looking for them for some time.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Impending Doll Purge, CANCELLED

Postby Jobee » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:31 pm

You guys all made some good points, and I really don't want to get rid of my dolls. I'm still getting rid of the duplicate bodies I don't need, but I'm keeping all the characters I've invested in. I just need a better storage solution than what I have. But I think I know what to do!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'