Go to footer

My Current Pattern Collection

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

My Current Pattern Collection

Postby Kattriella » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:45 pm

I don't know if this is exactly the right place to post this, but it doesn't technically fit the Total Sewing section because I'm not posting actual patterns. If I'm wrong, mods, please feel free to move this thread.

I'm just looking for a place to help catalogue and archive my ever growing pattern collection. I have always had a weird love of patterns, and the collector in me has become obsessed with collecting and saving old fashion doll patterns to preserve for posterity.

First up is the Simplicity and Simplicity Craft section (as well as my cat Pumpkin sniffing the floor in the background). From top left to right are:

Simplicity Pattern 4696: One size. Contains patterns for dress, vest, two pairs of shoes, petticoat, wings, ears, bra, skirt, head scarf, and waist scarf. Also contains instructions for repainting a doll face. Copyright date on package is 2004.

Simplicity Pattern 4702: One size. Contains patterns for a formal dress, a casual dress, several tops, a jacket, a hooded jacket, a skirt, and pants. Designs credited to Andrea Schewe. Copyright date on package is 2004.

Simplicity Archives Pattern 5785: One size. Contains pattern for three blouses, two skirts, skirt, scarf, coat, pants, shorts, dress, jacket, and panties. Designs credited to Teri. Copyright date on package is 2002, but pattern is a reproduction of a pattern from the 1960s.

Simplicity Crafts Pattern 8333: One size. Contains patterns for a wedding gown, veil, romper, pants, jacket, 2 tops, sundress, shorts, skirt, vest, blouse, dress, and hooded cape. Copyright date on package is 1987.

Simplicity Pattern 4719: One size. Contains patterns for two gowns, two petticoats, veil, two shawls, dress, two skirts, multiple tops, shorts, pants, and t-shirts. Designs credited to Andrea Schewe. Copyright date on package is 2004.

Simplicity Pattern 1955: Size A S, M, L. (Contains one of each pattern for 10 1/2" (26.5cm), 11 1/2" (29cm), and 12 1/2" (32cm) fashion dolls.) Wedding dress, train, bodice, veil, dress, petals, sash, bow, skirt, jacket, top, two skirts, leggings, and scarf. Designs credited to Andrea Schewe. Copyright date on package is 2011.

Second is my collection of patterns by Janice Rose Rader (sometimes credited as just Janice Rader). They are booklets of instructions with pattern pieces printed on either a large sheet of paper or directly on the page, rather than the traditional folded instructions and patterns in an envelope. Despite having various names through the years, they all seem to fall into the same line. From top left (white booklet with red background) to right:

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Nineteen - Calendar Girls 2: Contains patterns for 6 full, themed ensembles, including dresses, skirts, blouses, pantalettes, hats, and an apron. (I have two of this particular pattern, one with the original pattern pieces cut out, and one uncut.) Includes months July-December. Copyright date on inside cover is 1983.

Fashion Accessories: This pattern has the pieces printed inside the booklet, meaning they need to be transferred to another sheet of paper and cut out to keep the instructions intact. Includes patterns for a bonnet, vest, skirt, wrap, bodysuit, fur stole and cap, shoulder bag, felt hat, lacey hat, sun sunbonnet. Also includes jewelry ideas and embroidery guides for some of the pieces. Copyright date on inside cover is 1986.

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Twenty-Five - Gingham Ladies: Includes patterns for 7 full ensembles, including hats, vests, and petticoats, as well as instructions for creating variations on several of the dresses. Copyright date on inside cover is 1987. (Note: My copy of the pattern includes a note that reads: "Please note that it should be changed to read, Cut of pink gingham check: Six Skirt Panels (piece 1)". The pattern in the booklet calls for 5.)

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet 1 Bonnet Lassie: Includes patterns for 5 dresses, multiple bonnets, aprons, a slip, and pantalettes, as well as crochet instructions for an apron, bonnet, and bag. Also contains instructions for a rag doll dress that seems to be designed for vintage Raggedy Anne dolls. Copyright date on inside cover is 1974.

Booklet Twenty-Three: More Costumes - Vol. 2: Includes instructions and patterns for 8 costumes ranging from historical dresses to carnival costumes, including a cape, bodysuit, dresses, petticoats, a feather fan, and a bustle. Copyright date on inside cover is 1985.

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Nine Beautiful Belles: Includes patterns for 10 full ensembles, variations on some of the dresses, and a lingerie set. Copyright date on inside cover is 1978.

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet 4 Pinafores Plus: Includes patterns for multiple dresses, pants, a coat, jumper, and hats, as well as embroidery instructions for some pieces. Copyright date on inside cover is 1975.

Fancy Outfits for Fashion Dolls Booklet Twenty-Eight Glitter & Glitz: Includes instructions and patterns for 5 highly detailed gowns, as well as hats, petticoats, and panties. Copyright date on inside cover is 1994.

Living Dolls Fashions: Booklet Seventeen Calendar Girls Vol. 1: Includes instructions and patterns for 6 full, themed ensembles, as well as variations. Contains months January-June. Copyright date on inside cover is 1982.

Collection of Petticoats for Fashion Dolls: A small, eight page pamphlet containing patterns for five petticoats of increasing lengths, panties, pantalettes, and a slip. Pattern pieces are printed directly on the pamphlet and must be copied to another sheet of paper for use. Copyright date on front is 1983.

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Fifteen Fun or Fancy: Contains three base patterns with instructions for multiple variations, including some costumes. Copyright date on inside cover is 1980.

PP12 1660 English Court Dress: A single large sheet pamphlet folded into fourths. Contains full pattern for a single detailed costume, including pantalettes and padding to help create the proper shape. Can technically be cut in half to separate pattern from instructions, though back side of pattern contains a sewing note from the creator.

I currently only have 2 McCall's patterns in my collection.

McCall's Crafts P364/620/9115: I've found this pattern listed under three different numbers so far. The most common one is 9115, which I believe is the most current printing. All numbers should contain the same patterns. Contains patterns and instructions for five gowns with accessories, a sporty outfit, and a bikini. Copyright date on package is 1997.

McCall's Crafts 3897: Contains instructions and patterns for two fairy costumes and a horse pattern with patterns and instructions for a horn and wing to create a unicorn or pegasus. Copyright date on package is 2002.

I have a few patterns from The Pattern Factory.

Teen Scene (0412): This pattern is for 9 1/2 inch dolls like pre-2010 Skipper. The clothes are heavily late 1980s inspired. Includes patterns for a t-shirt blouse, skirt with suspenders, jeans, jacket, vest, beret, scarf, bookbag, turtleneck jersey, cheerleading outfit, prom gown, and nightgown with slipper socks. Copyright date on pattern is 1989.

Cathedral Wedding (pattern number not printed on pattern, but is listed in a catalog from the company as 6283): One of the most extensive pattern sets in my collection, this set includes full outfits for the entire wedding party, as well as patterns and instructions for a cathedral backdrop. Copyright date is unknown at this time, but is likely some time between the late 80s and early 90s based on the release dates of other Pattern Factory patterns in my collection.

Teen Classic (1224): Patterns for 9 1/2" dolls like pre-2010 Skipper. Contains patterns for dress, tights, two pairs of shoes, coat, hat, pocketbook, blouse, two shirts, belt, slip, panties, bodice, leotard, practice slippers, legs warmers, nightgown, mouse slippers, and robe. Copyright date listed on front as 1990.

Spooks and Goblins (1231): Contains patterns for Halloween costumes to fit Barbie, Ken, and vintage Skipper. Costumes include Glamour Cat Suit, Witch, Devil (for Ken), Count Dracula (for Ken), Pumpkin (for Skipper), Little Miss Mouse (for Skipper), Gypsy (not pictured), and Pirate (for Ken, not pictured).

The last category I have is these two miscellaneous patterns.

Glamour Gowns by Susan Leishman: This is actually a booklet of crochet patterns. It isn't my preferred method of doll clothing making, but it came with a lot of other booklets. It contains crochet patterns for dresses for several sizes of doll. Copyright date listed on inside cover is 1983.

Better Homes and Gardens Pattern No. A 4101: This one is a rare gem. It is believed to be one of then oldest patterns produced for Barbie, dating back to the early to mid 60s. As it is well over 50 years old, I have struggled to find information on it. One source I found says it was only available to order via an Issue of Better Homes and Gardens, though I have yet to validate that information. I cannot find a copyright date anywhere on the pattern, but the pattern seems to have been made by The Advance Pattern Company, Inc for Better Homes and Gardens, according to an insert sheet contained within. If anyone has any further information on this pattern, I would very much appreciate it.

So that's my collection so far. I hope to add more in the near future. If anyone wants closeups of any of the envelopes/booklets, or anything else, let me know.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: My Current Pattern Collection

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:19 pm

I’ve decided to redo the way I post these. I’ll leave the first post up, but I’m going to slightly change up the picture style.

Living Doll Fashions Pamphlets

I have several of these simpler pamphlet-style patterns by Janice Rose Rader (sometimes credited simply as Janice Rader). They are a single, large sheet of paper that unfolds to around 12"x18 ½". Unlike most of the booklets, these patterns have the pieces printed on the instructions, requiring you to either photocopy them or copy them onto a separate piece of paper. I have little information on the origins of these pamphlets or the booklets by the same creator, sadly, and would greatly appreciate any information anyone may have on them.

All photographs on the patterns are attributed to Gene Rader, unless otherwise stated.

The Count

First up SP16 The Count. This is a rare pattern from Janice Rader in that it is for Ken (or rather, a “12 inch boy doll”). The pattern makes slacks, a shirt, and a cape, with instructions for a variation on the cape. The shirt itself has puffy/loose sleeves, which could actually be a good base for a lot of other costumes or outfits. The “More Ideas” section also makes reference to “Booklet Sixteen: Basic Male Fashions”, a pattern booklet also by Janice Rader, with ideas on how to use pieces from that booklet to make other costumes. Copyright date is 1981.

The Countess

Next up is the female counterpart to The Count, SP17 The Countess. The pattern is for a dress and cape, with instructions to also make two variations called the “Red Witch” and the “Good Witch”. Copyright date is 1981.

1883 Evening Dress

My copy of PP13 1883 Evening Dress has a handwritten note of “2?” above the 3 in 1883, but I’m not sure who wrote it or why. My copies are all secondhand, so I can only assume that the previous owner may have had some knowledge of historical fashion that I don’t. Pattern includes instructions for a petticoat, bodice, skirt, bustle, and how to make ribbon roses to use as decorations. Copyright date is 1980.

Bridal Fashions for 12 ½” Dolls

SP10 Bridal Fashions for 12 ½” Dolls: I don’t know exactly which dolls patterns were made for, as I’m not overly knowledgeable about fashion dolls from this era. I know it will be slightly too big for Barbies of the era. I can’t tell from the picture what dolls are used for the photo.

There are actually instructions for 5 outfits/variations included in this pattern, despite there only being 8 pattern pieces. This one is a good example of using a single pattern as a base for multiple outfits. There are instructions for D1 Bridal Lady (includes Bridal Gown Bodice, Skirt, Bridal Bouquet, and Bridal Cap), D2 Second Bride (includes Bodice, Skirt, and Bridal Veil), D3 Satin and Lace Set (Gown Bodice, Gown Skirt, Robe Bodice, and Robe Skirt), D4 Country Lady (includes Bodice and Skirt), and D5 Little Girl Dress (includes Bodice and Skirt). Copyright date is 1980.

Gowns for the 12 ½” Dolls

SP11 Gowns for the 12 ½” Dolls: Another pattern set for 12 ½ inch fashion dolls. This one has instructions for a Dotted Swiss Dress (includes Bodice and Skirt), Tulle Formal (includes Underskirt, Bodice, Skirt, Scarf, and Flowers), Evening Gown (includes Gown and Cape), Gingham Lady (includes Bodice, Skirt, and Cape), Fancy Lady (includes Bodice, Skirt, Net Ruffle, Bertha, Choker, and Hat), Halter Gown (includes Bodice and Skirt), Full Petticoat (includes Basic Petticoat), Tulle Hat (includes hat) and Evening Stole (includes Stole). There are also instructions for a Sun Dress, a variation on the Halter Dress with a different sized skirt. Copyright date is 1980.

1660 English Court Dress

PP12 1660 English Court Dress: This pattern is for 11 ½ inch fashion dolls of the era (such as Barbie). It’s a surprisingly detailed costume for a doll of this scale. It includes patterns and instructions for Pantalettes, Hip Pads, and Underskirt, and the Court Dress (includes the Bodice and Skirt), ruffles for the sleeves, and suggestions for accessories. I have two copies of this pamphlet because of buying several of these in lots. Copyright date is 1980.

A Southern Lady

SP14 A Southern Lady: This pattern is for 18” fashion dolls (adult proportioned dolls, not American Girl style dolls). There are two full outfits in this one, titled as A Southern Miss and A Southern Lady. A Southern Miss consists of Pantalettes, a Ruffled Petticoat, Bodice, Skirt, Lace Choker, and a Hat. A Southern Lady consists of a Bodice and Skirt. Copyright date is 1980.
Last edited by Kattriella on Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:32 pm

The Pattern Factory
Dolly Dress Pattern Catalog

This is a neat little piece in my collection, and probably one of the rarer things I have. It’s the catalog and order sheet for The Pattern Factory’s doll clothing patterns (or at least part of them). It showcases the patterns that were available as of September 1995 (which is the date on the USPS ink stamp on the back).

The biggest draw to me, however, is that there is a pattern printed within the catalog! It’s a little lingerie pattern for Barbies of the era.

The back has a cute little picture of some mice and sewing notions on the back. It reminds me of Cinderella. (The pamphlet is folded in half for this picture because it still has the owner’s address printed on the back. I purchased this one from the original owner, and she still lives at the same address, so for privacy reasons I won’t show the whole thing.)

Please pardon how lopsided the pictures are. They were taken at my kitchen table, which no long sits level due to the top being broken off and reattached (don't ask).
Last edited by Kattriella on Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:44 pm

Collection of Petticoats for Fashion Dolls
By Janice Rose Rader

This is an odd one because at a glance it looks like one of the pamphlet-style patterns, but it’s actually a 4 page booklet. It contains petticoat patterns for five different sizes of doll (4”, 4 ½”, 5 ½”, 6 ½”, and 11 ½”), as well as panties, pantalettes, and a straight slip pattern for 11 ½” fashion dolls. The pattern pieces are printed into the booklet and must be copied to tissue or printer paper and cut out to be used. Copyright date is 1983.

Note: I have rebound my copy with thread due to rusted staples.
Last edited by Kattriella on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:56 pm

Fashion Accessories
By Janice Rose Rader

This one doesn’t appear to be part of the “Living Doll Fashions” line of booklets from Janice Rose Rader, but it is the same style of booklet. This booklet has the pieces printed on the pages, meaning they need to be transferred to another sheet of paper and cut out to keep the instructions intact. It includes patterns for an 1850 Velvet Bonnet, Vest (basic and with guides for an embroidered version, Lace Trimmed, Western, and Evening Vest), Skirt (Kitten and Gingham), Sparkling Wrap, Bodysuit, cover up, chiffon scarves, four belts (Basic, Jumpsuit, Evening, and Folk Belt), (faux) Fur Stole, Cap (with instructions for a Bridal, Glamour, and Fur variation), Shoulder Bag with embroidery guides, Felt Hat, Basic Pillbox hat, Lacey Hat, and Sunbonnet (with instructions for a variation). Also includes jewelry ideas. Copyright date on inside cover is 1986.

Last edited by Kattriella on Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:15 pm

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet 1 Bonnet Lassie
By Janice Rose Rader (credited as Janice Rose)

The first in the long series of doll sewing pattern booklets by Janice Rose Rader. This booklet has the pattern pieces printed on a separate sheet of paper, so you can cut them out without damaging the booklet, but I usually copy them to a new sheet of paper (usually tissue) so I can preserve the original pattern, since the original sheet sometimes has other instructions or guidelines for embroidery. It includes patterns for a Tea Time outfit (a dress with a crocheted apron), Sunbonnet Gal outfit (a variation of the first dress with a Sunbonnet), Bonnet Lassie (dress with a Straw Bonnet and Crochet Snood), a Crochet Bag, and a “Rag Doll Dress” (an outfit consisting of a dress, apron or crocheted apron, stockings, one of two slips, and pantaletts for a vintage Raggedy Ann doll). Copyright date is 1974.

Last edited by Kattriella on Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:38 pm

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Nine Beautiful Bells
By Janice Rose Rader

This booklet has the pattern pieces printed on a separate sheet of paper. The booklet includes instructions for A Sweetheart (includes dress, Velvet Choker, and Large Felt Hat), Wedding Belle (includes dress and Bridal Hat), Pinky (includes dress and Lace Cap), Southern Belle (includes dress and Southern Belle Hat), Miss Valentine in Taffeta (includes dress, Heart Hat, and Wand), Miss Valentine in Gingham (includes dress), Mini Jumpsuit (includes jumpsuit with ruffled lace trim or jumpsuit with neck ruffle, with option for Matching Skirt), Long Vest and Gown (includes Long Vest and Basic Gown), Lace Lingerie Set (includes Vest and Gown), and Medieval Lady (includes Vest, Gown, and Headdress). Copyright date is 1978.

Last edited by Kattriella on Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:26 pm

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Seventeen Calendar Girls 1
By Janice Rose Rader

Containing the first half of the Calendar Girls outfits, this booklet has the pattern printed on a separate sheet of paper, though my copy was cut by the previous owner. The booklet includes instructions for Miss January (includes January Dress, January Jake, January Bustle, and January Hat, as well as suggestions for a variation), Miss February (includes February Bodysuit, a hat, and suggestions for variations), Miss March (includes Miss march Dress and instructions for a variation), Miss April View A (includes dress and Hair Ruffle), Miss April View B (includes alternate dress), Miss April view C (includes dress and circle Hat), Miss May (includes dress, May Hat, and instructions for a variation), and Miss June (includes dress with instructions for two different sleeve styles, a Mob Cap, and instructions for a variation). Copyright date is 1982.

Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:27 pm

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Nineteen Calendar Girls 2
By Janice Rose Rader

The second half of the Calendar Girls patterns, this booklet includes Miss July (includes dress, Pantalettes, and July Hatt), First Miss August (includes dress), Second Miss August (includes dress and August Hat), Miss September (includes dress, Miss September Petticoat, and Circle Hat), Miss September with Apron ( includes dress and September Apron), September Bed Doll (a variation of the Miss September outfits with an extra frilly skirt), Miss October (includesOctober Blouse, October Skirt, and October Pantalettes, as well as a Country Variation), Miss November (includes dress, Miss November Petticoat, and Miss November Hat), and Miss December (includes dress and December Hat). Copyright date is 1983.

Note: I have two copies of this booklet, one with the original pattern cut and one uncut. The copy that is uncut (pictured) has been rebound with thread due to rusted staples.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:01 pm

Living Doll Fashions: Booklet Twenty-Five Gingham Ladies
By Janice Rose Rader

This booklet has the pattern pieces printed on a separate sheet of paper. There is a note stapled to the sheet that reads:

“Booklet Twenty-Five – Pink Gingham on page 7
Please note that it should be changed to read,
Cut of pink gingham check: Six Skirt Panels (piece 1)”

Booklet includes patterns for Gingham & Embroidery (includes dress), Blue Gingham (includes White Dress and Blue Gingham Overdress, as well as instructions for a variation), Pink Gingham (includes dress), Blue Vest, Gingham Party Gown (includes dress, with instructions split between page 8 and back cover)), Black Gingham (includes dress), Green Gingham (includes dress), Red Gingham (includes Red Gingham Dress, Underskirt, and Hat), Flower Gingham (includes dress with Lace Collar), Full Petticoat, and Petticoat. Copyright date is 1987.

Kattriella

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'