Go to footer

My Current Pattern Collection

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: My Current Pattern Collection

Postby DollyKim » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:12 am

Yeah, 1915 is off by a mile, unless it's a typo and supposed to be 1925. I think the other two come from Thoroughly Modern Millie and Singing in the Rain so I'm assuming this line is drawing heavily from movies and TV.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby kenaiqueen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:56 pm

Even inaccurate, they are still cute and would be fun to make.
And I am giggling over 'Codpieces and Crinolines!" I think that's the name of the next romance I write LOL!
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:58 pm

DollyKim wrote:Yeah, 1915 is off by a mile, unless it's a typo and supposed to be 1925. I think the other two come from Thoroughly Modern Millie and Singing in the Rain so I'm assuming this line is drawing heavily from movies and TV.

I know for sure that the red black dress from the 80s one is ABSOLUTELY a straight copy of a dress Princess Diana wore around the time, so it's highly probable that all of the outfits are either inspired by celebrities or movies.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Kattriella » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:27 pm

DollyKim wrote:The half-tushed clothing historian in me would like to sit down and have a talk with the 'turn of the century' one and show it Tom Tierney paper dolls of the same era. The striped skirt one in particular makes me wonder what the references were because...

There are affordable Dover books 'Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns' which I have that covers the 1890s and you can trace many of them, add seams and they'll fit some 1/6 dolls, and '59 Authentic turn-of-the-century Fashion Patterns' that show the real shapes and silhouettes of the era.

It doesn't help I'm in the middle of reading Codpieces and Crinolines right now.

I managed to find one image that has a dress that appears to be similar to the one with the stripes, or at least the skirt is.

The rest of the outfit is completely off, but the skirt style is similar. I think, much like Hollywood, these patterns combine a bunch of elements from a few different styles within about a 30 year timespan and mash them into one ensemble.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:49 am

My bad, the actual title of the book is Corsets and Codpieces, there are several with very similar titles and the chapter I'm on is on crinolines, and it's a compact history of the shape and style of women's fashions.

Between my dolls, art, and a few other things I needed to know the basics of some historical fashions and I've ended up with a decent collection of books on the subject. Doll wise the Susan Sirkis books are well researched.

If anyone is serious about 19th century fashion you can find reprints of actual clothing patterns and catalogs. And not to argue between analog and digital but places like Project Gutenberg and Archive.org have countless scans of catalogs, magazines, and books.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:24 pm

I'm bumping my own thread so I can find it again when I get a chance to take more pictures. Hopefully it'll happen on Friday!
Kattriella

Postby Tam I am » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:29 pm

You can do it!

*says the woman who only takes pictures if forced, even if I want them...*
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am

Postby Kattriella » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:48 pm

Tam I am wrote:You can do it!

I'll probably have to postpone pictures for a while. My home has been invaded by insects. We have to set off bug bombs tomorrow, and it's going to take days to clean up and put things away. @-@
Kattriella

Postby Tam I am » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:16 pm

Kattriella wrote:
Tam I am wrote:You can do it!

I'll probably have to postpone pictures for a while. My home has been invaded by insects. We have to set off bug bombs tomorrow, and it's going to take days to clean up and put things away. @-@

*frantic sympathy flails*
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am

Postby Kattriella » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:09 am

I purchased a bunch of PDF patterns that I was looking for and ordered a new printer. My old one was taken over by cat hair and dead ants. XP When it gets here I just need to get some ink and paper and I'll be set. It also has a built in scanner, so I'll be able to scan some of my other, old patterns and save them. A few in my collection are approaching 50 years old, and one of them is from the 40s. No matter how careful I am with then, time is eventually going to destroy them. My whole goal with collecting patterns is preserving them for the future, so I really want to scan some of the old ones in and get them cleaned up.

Oh, also, my great aunt sent me a few of her old patterns. Most of them are incomplete because she used them until they fell apart, but a couple of them are complete! I put envelope and all in a new envelope. I plan to print out a picture of the front and back of the original envelope and tape to the outside, rather than buying another copy.
Last edited by Kattriella on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kattriella

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'