Go to footer

A future WIP doll

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

A future WIP doll

Postby versora » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:48 am

hello all been a long time.

Anyway I've been binge watching the Captain Harlock anime, and was struck with an idea: customizing a Tochiro Oyama doll. My main hiccup is the body type. Since he's a cutie patootie fun-sized person, I don't want him looking too childish. He's an adult. And the bodies I found are too child-like. Tochiro has a bit of pudge, but not too fat. Any ideas on where I can find a relatively inexpensive doll and it not looking like a toddler or pre-teen?

As a point of reference: The tallest doll I have is a 72 cm Uncle size. I have no idea if the company that made him is still around.

UPDATE: I settled on an Obitsu 24cm Whitey Female S bust, and I can mod it to be a boy. Fun part is the head and the long wait for the body to arrive. and I already found a nice outfit that comes with a black tank top for me to paint. Now it's looking for pants and shoes. I have no idea what scale 24cm is. I wanna say 1/4 scale so I can look at BJD clothes. also on a side tangent mah boy Josh is gonna get spoiled too. I put his new head on. and the other head is gonna be recycled for a Harlock doll. That head is PERFECT for Harlock. Yay recycling.
Last edited by versora on Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
"We don't make mistakes. Just happy little accidents." -- Bob Ross
versora
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: A future WIP doll

Postby SetsunaKou » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:05 pm

I feel your pain in this type/size!

What scale are you thinking for?
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby versora » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:20 pm

45cm seems to be the magic number. I can always get a smaller doll. I like the MD or taller than Barbie size. but finding a smaller doll that doesn't look like a child is annoying. I just wish they weren't so expensive, even second hand wants high prices.

i found a doll that's a possible match. not sure if I can post a link though.
versora

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:25 am

Went and google the character you planned on to get an idea of who he is. Would a 50cm Obitsu-Parabox type or the Azone do? Use the male body or the female body with flat chest. And then get the head of choice.

I have a 50cm girl who dress like a boy at times, clothes can be layered to create body mass if you intend to keep the doll fully dressed. She's suppose to be in her mid teens pre growth spurt. Standing with my 68cm Iple EID broad shoulders muscle dude and 62cm SID lady
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby versora » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:05 pm

yes, I believe so. So I will be looking into an Obistu type doll which is way more in my price range. Now to find a 50 cm doll that's male and not expensive, lol

Update: I found a not obistu, but I think he will work:
https://ibb.co/cynsZwV
versora

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:20 am

versora wrote:yes, I believe so. So I will be looking into an Obistu type doll which is way more in my price range. Now to find a 50 cm doll that's male and not expensive, lol

Update: I found a not obistu, but I think he will work:

Pretty much the same thing as the ucaanan dolls. There are a lot of people on ebay selling this range of dolls and 90 percent of them are in that line. I suspect there is a single manufacturer and then a lot of businesses that buy them for resale.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:58 am

versora wrote:yes, I believe so. So I will be looking into an Obistu type doll which is way more in my price range. Now to find a 50 cm doll that's male and not expensive, lol

If you planned to do the male Obitsu route. I would suggest emailing Parabox to check with them when they might restock since Obi50s are female by default. Parabox was probably testing interest for a male type Obi50.

Good luck.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby versora » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:32 am

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:

If you planned to do the male Obitsu route. I would suggest emailing Parabox to check with them when they might restock since Obi50s are female by default. Parabox was probably testing interest for a male type Obi50.

Good luck.

I'll do that. I'm also looking around for articulated dolls. I found some nice alternatives on Amazon. I'm also up for a secondhand option. but I have no idea where to go for secondhand
versora

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'