Go to footer

Monster High

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Monster High

Postby Jobee » Fri May 13, 2022 2:37 pm

It's official, today, on Friday the 13th, May 2022, Monster High is officially back on store shelves.

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2393-mo ... -2022.html

So far they've made near perfect reproductions of Draculaura, Clawdeen, Lagoona, and Frankie. They are available from SOME Walmarts at 25$ each. Check your local Walmart's stock online first though, because many stores haven't received them yet. SKU codes are included in the link above.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Re: Monster High

Postby Stormlight » Fri May 13, 2022 4:08 pm

Yup, I just picked up Frankie today! I was also gonna get Lagoona but decided to get another Shadow High girl instead. :mrgreen:

The downside of these near-perfect reproductions is there are now scammers on Mercari and probably eBay who are selling the accessories and such as first-wave accessories (as in from the very FIRST releases of these girls) and are charging as much for just a purse or a pair of shoes as what the entire dolls costs. :evil: There are slight differences between them, but anyone who doesn’t know what to look for or who doesn’t realize the line has been renewed stands a good chance of being scammed.

It’s a shame people like that gotta ruin it for everyone. :cry:
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Kattriella » Fri May 13, 2022 5:22 pm

All of my original Monster High girls were secondhand (though complete). I'm REALLY tempted to pick these up just because I know mine aren't in the heat shape anymore.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Sat May 14, 2022 6:14 am

Right now it would have to be a character I don't have, which would be like the super special edition rare ones, to get me to buy.

I just hope they fixed the melting/sticky accessories problem.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby davidd » Sun May 15, 2022 9:14 am

I'm wanting to be excited about the re-issue, but... the way Mattel "diluted" the concept in the final years of the original issue somewhat ruined it for me. Originally, back when it was introduced a decade ago, the line, based on "children of famous monsters," was a marvelous combination of funny and scary, with lots of references to the old Universal Studios monster & horror films. Over time, supposedly as a result of "complaints," the Monster High line became more about "feel good" non-monster stuff, and the scary monster elements (and references to gloom and death) were considerably toned down. Production quality declined. "Budget" versions of the figures were released with limited articulation. And then... and then there was the "re-boot."
:roll:

Photos of the new releases look good, although it appears they have reduced the size of Lagoona's eyes. The original Lagoona had gloriously large "fishy" eyes. At least she has the fins and finger webbing molded in a different color like the original.

I see, however, an article about the relaunch stating:

"Be Yourself. Be Unique. Be a Monster.
The familiar mantra is back for a new generation as Mattel‘s Monster High returns to Walmart stores for Friday the 13th."

That "familiar mantra" is NOT what Monster High was about. Remember The Party Never Dies? Or Freaky Just Got Fabulous? That was Monster High. The whole "feel good" marketing ploy came later, and, for me anyway, corollated with the decline of the line.

Initially, it appears that the New Monster High is a Walmart Exclusive. That does not bode well for their long-term survival. Does anyone remember the Walmart Exclusive Wild Hearts Crew? How long did they last?

(Only Frankie and Clawdeen are currently available for pre-order on the Walmart.com website. No sign of Lagoona or Ulla-D.)

I see that while the dolls are a Walmart exclusive, other merchandise is also being released, including a line of clothing at Hot Topic: https://www.hottopic.com/search?q=Monst ... ng=default

Hot Topic -- they're still around, huh? I haven't been to a "real mall" in over five years, not since moving to the middle of nowhere.

Supposedly there is a live-action movie in the works (there was one announced back around 2010 with the original product launch, too) and new animated episodes.

Will Monster High catch on again? I doubt the line will reach the heights of popularity it once reached (outselling Barbie one year), but I'd like to think it will have some staying power the second time around. I don't know, though. Is this a "nostalgia" release targeting people who were in to MH as kids a dozen years ago who are now adult or young adult collectors? Is Mattel hoping to capture the imaginations (and dollars) of a new generation of kids?

Are kids in to "classic monsters" at all anymore?

It will be interesting to watch what happens.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon May 16, 2022 6:04 am

Hot Topic is going strong, the Monster High stuff is nice, I have a shirt, they also have Sailor Moon and a mix of popular anime, music stuff with old and new bands, and the usual I'm so goth stuff.

As for classic monsters the original Dracula book is making the rounds on Tumblr so the movies will follow. Youngsters are wanting well made media, you just have to point out where they can find it.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'