Go to footer

Art Squad Dolls

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Art Squad Dolls

Postby Jobee » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:00 pm

https://camp.com/toy/art-squad-dolls

New dolls! And they're arts and crafts themed! So far people seem to have mixed opinions on their faces, but I think they look sweet. Each one comes with a little artistic activity! I'm gonna try to get a couple after the big move. Thought I'd share with you guys!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Re: Art Squad Dolls

Postby Kattriella » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:08 am

I can understand why some people have mixed feelings about their faces, but I think they're really cute! If I collected big headed dolls,nid totally be all over them. They're adorable! And their eyes are so vibrant! I love it!
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Stormlight » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:04 am

Looks like they’re trying to emulate the Rainbow High girls, only with art instead of fashion. Are those eyes inset or just painted? They kind of look inset like the RH girls. They are cute but thankfully don’t really grab me.
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby davidd » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:20 am

"Meet the Art Squad — the dolls that come with their own DIY style, plus a cool craft that encourages kids to be their best, boldest selves!"

Cool! So, do they come with Xacto knives, hot glue guns, and spray paint? :o

Errr... no. Although three of the four characters are involved with crafts using paint (and "Lady T" seems designed to encourage young taggers aka vandals), the "cool crafts" appear to consist of "fabric markers" (yeah -- like kids will content themselves with coloring on the doll clothes) and water-based inks and paints. And then there's the outlier girl, the true rebel of the group, who... hold your breath... strings beads!

Actually, I've never had any bead-stringing skills, myself, and I'm a little bit envious, even of little kids, who can weave cool "friendship bracelets," let alone make, like, intricate Native American beadwork pieces and stuff.

The Art Squad is kind of a cool concept, and maybe they will inspire kids (or... some of us who stretch the definition of kids) to try new crafts, but... for twenty-five bucks, I could just buy myself a bead-stringing kit, huh? Or a set of colored permanent markers? Or a hot melt glue gun!

To me, the faces are reminiscent of vintage Troll Dolls.

Or of Broadway actress Carol Channing.

Currently available exclusively at the CAMP stores linked above, the Art Squad by Just Play Toys is available for pre-order at Amazon and the line is scheduled for an August roll-out at Target stores.

The primary online media presence for the Art Squad appears to be at TikTok, but there is also an account at Instagram: @ArtSquad_Official
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kenaiqueen » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:04 am

Craftsy person that I am, I'm just as glad that these are not appealing to me that much. I'm having enough problems supporting my current Barbie/RH addictions.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:08 am

They still sell a great bead weaving loom aimed at children and beginning crafters, the wooden and metal one with springs, at craft stores and it is deceptively simple to make pieces. SD and MSD sized doll stuff is no problem. Tube projects are often done with the Peyote stitch, worked flat it's called the brick stitch, and again it's deceptive to how simple it is.

For friendship bracelets the flat ones are done with knots and the round ones done with discs (kumihimo) where once you've put the colors in the right slots to get the pattern you just change places between top and bottom strings and turn the disc one position. Again there are kits with easy to follow directions at the craft stores.

Guess who has all sorts of little crafty things to keep their hands busy and give them something to stim with.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'