Go to footer

Doll Burnout?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Doll Burnout?

Postby Jobee » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:12 pm

I'm going through a weird phase right now, I think it's doll burnout. I thought it was Rainbow High burnout, but I bought some other dolls and I just don't wanna do a damn thing with them right now. I still like them and enjoy having them around, but I don't have the energy to work on their wardrobes or even do their hair. I have some new dolls I haven't snapped a single picture of yet. Sewing plushies has been scratching my crafting itch quite nicely at least, but I still haven't put together my second plushie tower yet, so they're taking up precious space on my work desk in the meantime.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Re: Doll Burnout?

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:40 am

I've been thru several hobby burn outs. Maybe take a vacation from all your hobbies or if you need something to do with your hands get a little kit or something to make gifts or decorations.

I've had dolls come and go several times, and always been grateful I kept them and their stuff. Put them away for awhile, see if you can reconnect to why you wanted that particular doll(s), and if you aren't sure wait. Every time I question myself if I need so many Monsters I get reminded by the universe in little ways. I also find myself reminded why I parted ways with other dolls and hobbies.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:30 am

I haven't touched any of my dolls in months. Some actually had dust on them. Some, mostly my MHs, will be finding the own new homes once we settle in to ours. I have my grails and my favorites though. I have about 6 resins that I will probably never get rid of.

It has dawned on me that I don't know where I'm going to put them in the new house since we will have one less room and there really won't be room in the office/guest room now.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:09 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:I haven't touched any of my dolls in months. Some actually had dust on them. Some, mostly my MHs, will be finding the own new homes once we settle in to ours. I have my grails and my favorites though. I have about 6 resins that I will probably never get rid of.

It has dawned on me that I don't know where I'm going to put them in the new house since we will have one less room and there really won't be room in the office/guest room now.

Put in a shelf just under the ceiling and put the up on that. That's how I have all the Beanie Babies my late mom gave me, which I am now never parting with.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:27 am

My dentist's office has model trains hanging about a foot from the ceiling. One of the houses we looked at had a space along the top of a couple of walls that would have been ideal for dolls or cats.

I remember going in to a comic book shop that hung their loose action figures from the ceiling like they were in an epic battle.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kirahfaye » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:14 am

victoriavictrix wrote:Put in a shelf just under the ceiling and put the up on that. That's how I have all the Beanie Babies my late mom gave me, which I am now never parting with.

The oddest thing happened last night. We've been packing and cleaning and I kept looking at this smallish box my mom had wrapped up in plastic. She handed it to me about 6 months after she moved in with us. It was some sort of mini pet hair vacuum and she thought we could use it. I put it on a shelf in the office and forgot about it. Last night something made me open it up..... in it was my mom's Lalique collection (what was left of it over the years). I started to cry.... Oh, I know Lalique isn't worth much anymore, but there are a couple of pieces that have special memories attached to them. I don't plan on parting with them either.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:34 am

I go through doll burnout every now and then (though I feel like it's usually just regular burnout combined with doll burnout), and I start to wonder if I really need all the stuff I have and ask myself why I started this hobby. Then I pull out my dolls and just sort of look at them for a while and it's like they're saying, "It's okay, take your time, we'll still be here when you're feeling better." Maybe to some people, that sounds crazy, but there's something comforting about knowing our tiny friends will still be around even if we need a break for a while.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby davidd » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:12 am

Kirahfaye wrote: Last night something made me open it up..... in it was my mom's Lalique collection (what was left of it over the years). I started to cry.... Oh, I know Lalique isn't worth much anymore, but there are a couple of pieces that have special memories attached to them.

My mom passed away a couple of years ago now, and when we cleaned out the house (where my brothers and I grew up) I felt like I couldn't part with anything! I hauled a U-Haul trailer and two carloads home with me, a thousand miles... and now most of what I couldn't bear to part with sits in storage tubs in my storage shed. Periodically I begin to think, okay, I can get rid of some of this stuff now, but then I'll open up some little box or unwrap something that's in a bag and all these memories and emotions come flooding back and I tear up, so back in to the storage tubs it all goes. I sometimes wish I could be more "practical" like my brothers, although I noticed that the more practical of my brothers, who initially suggested throwing everything from my mom's house in to a dumpster, still has a couple of dozen boxes of stuff from her house stacked in the back corner of his garage.

DollyKim wrote:I remember going in to a comic book shop that hung their loose action figures from the ceiling like they were in an epic battle.

That sounds majorly cool!

Kattriella wrote:I go through doll burnout every now and then (though I feel like it's usually just regular burnout combined with doll burnout), and I start to wonder if I really need all the stuff I have and ask myself why I started this hobby.

That is where I have been for much of this year, across the board burnout. I thinned out a number of dolls (mostly Monster High), started to feel better about the hobby and about life in general, but now the malaise is setting in again.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Tam I am » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:43 pm

davidd wrote:
Kirahfaye wrote: That is where I have been for much of this year, across the board burnout. I thinned out a number of dolls (mostly Monster High), started to feel better about the hobby and about life in general, but now the malaise is setting in again.

Time to start making your own.
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:56 am

It took us up to 20 years to part with some of Grandma's hoard but it did happen and I still have a box of plastic gloves because they were in her bathroom.

Are there things in storage that a museum would jump for joy to have? We gave so much to one they had to remodel their display cabinets. Every time we go back they're wiping off nose and finger prints from the glass because people are coming from all over to see stuff we left sitting in a garage.

As for burn out I'm facing it with just about everything right now. In my search for happy brain chemicals in a non destructive way I've channeled my hoarding instincts digitally and now it's getting to a point where I'm squirrling so much away I'm not even watching/listening to a lot of it.

I wish we all lived closer to each other so we could have face to face doll meetings some times.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'