Go to footer

Monster High Generation 3

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Monster High Generation 3

Postby Jobee » Tue May 16, 2023 1:52 pm

Is anyone else enjoying Monster High g3? I'm 8 months late to the party, but all the dolls are still in stock, and I'm having a great time. It started when my sister got me a g3 Twyla for my birthday. I'd always wanted a g1 Twyla and never got her, but this g3 one is really really good! Super cute, great articulation, cute outfit, fun accessories, all good things.

Before I got any more, I bit the bullet and bought the live action movie on Amazon Prime. SO GOOD! It was clearly very low budget, but they really put their hearts into it anyway, and there's singing and dancing! After that, I checked out the cartoon show, season 1 is finished it seems, so I watched a few episodes. So cute and funny! It's 3D animation, but it has it's own clear style that's not a photocopy of Pixar/Disney.

After I felt I'd done enough research into the generation 3 lore, I decided to order Clawdeen, Frankie, and Draculaura. They are the most prominent characters in the gen 3 source material, so I thought they'd be a good starting point. I ordered them from Amazon, and they arrived today! Before unboxing, I checked for wonk eye, and they look a little uneven, but not so severe that I'd call it wonk.

I unboxed Draculaura first. So much easier than unboxing a Rainbow High doll. I dunno why, it just was. The packaging was simpler, a plastic bubble on a cardboard backing. Way less complicated than Rainbow High boxes. Draculaura has no gel in her hair, it's brushable right out of the box. Her bangs are gelled, but they kinda have to be to keep their pointy shape. She's articulated in the neck, chest, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, and knees. The new chest joint is really nice for adjusting posture. These dolls don't come with stands, but if you buy the cheapy ones in bulk on Amazon, they work on the hips of the default body and the upper waist of Draculaura. Oh yes, Draculaura is plus-sized now. I adore that, she's chubby and adorable.

So yeah, I'm in love. Which is good for me, because I was feeling Rainbow High burnout. I wasn't a huge fan of g1 Monster High, so I'm less critical of the character redesigns. I love them. They're colorful, and diverse, and pretty. I wish they came with stands, but I have alternatives, so I'll be fine. I think Mattel did a crap ton of research on their target audience, and g3 better represents them. I have some nieces that identify as them/they's, so seeing a them/they canon character is really a good thing. And I'm beyond happy for plus sized characters. The biracial population has exploded too, so biracial characters make a lot of sense. I'm on board with all of it. I have some biracial cousins. Also, Twyla has Clawtism! Adorable! I want cute punny names for every neurodivergence now!

Representation fanatic aside, the quality is still there. The head sculpts are unique to each character. The articulation is really nice. The clothing is good quality. The accessories are imaginative and will be great for pictures or fun for kids to play with. I highly recommend Monster High generation 3. It's fabulous. Sorry for writing a freaking essay. Will add pictures when I've finished unboxing everyone.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Re: Monster High Generation 3

Postby Stormlight » Tue May 16, 2023 4:29 pm

I love the G3 dolls! They’re so cute and colorful. There’s a lot of whining from the G1 “purists” on Facebook about the changes made to them (for example, Lagoona being pink instead of blue) but I just ignore them. There’s no law says you can’t like both versions. I just hope they don’t go the way of the old versions with scalpers jacking up the prices to ridiculous degrees, like they’re doing with all the collectibles right now (and some of the rainbow high dolls too). :roll:
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby ugg333 » Wed May 17, 2023 8:53 am

I love them! I got Lagoona and Draculaura, and they are so cute. I love the new bodies and new faces. I will be sure to get more.
ugg333
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Jobee » Wed May 17, 2023 9:15 am

Here's my current crew. They have variety for heights and bodytypes, and they're coming out with more. Abbey is supposed to be curvy like Drac, but really tall, can't wait to get my hands on her! She's super pretty.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Jobee » Sat May 20, 2023 10:24 am

Amazon Link These cheap plastic doll stands fit the new Monster High g3 bodies pretty well! I've tested it on both Twyla who is the average waist and Draculaura who has a larger waist. It fits on Twyla's hips and Draculaura's waist.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby kenaiqueen » Sat May 20, 2023 12:07 pm

I sold off at least half of my MH dolls a while back and still have some in storage somewhere. However, I did fall for the latest Cleo deNile when I saw her at Wallys and picked her up. I noticed that Drac had a new figure and have been thinking I might need her too.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Jobee » Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 pm

I got Ghoulia over the weekend. I always wanted a g1 Ghoulia, but never got one, so now I have a g3 one. She's a little different, but I like it. She's cute! I had a bad Sunday, so hubby cheered me up with a doll hunt.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Jobee » Fri May 26, 2023 5:17 pm

I unboxed Cleo today and took some Clankie photos. This was my best one. Lagoona arrived too, but she's not out of box yet.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Jobee » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:58 am

They came out with plushies! They look like chibi voodoo dolls. I bought them all. I have no self control. There's only six so far. I hope they make more of more characters and pets.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Jobee » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:14 pm

Sorry for the large image, but I finally got to unbox Abbey today! She's so big and beautiful, and I love her so much! I took a pic of her next to Ghoulia and Twyla for height comparison. She's the tallest g3 doll so far, and the curviest. Ghoulia is wearing the pattern testing pieces I made a few weeks ago.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'