Go to footer

The adventures of Red Skelita

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

The adventures of Red Skelita

Postby DollyKim » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:30 pm

How did the doll in this listing https://www.etsy.com/listing/1154319980 ... ng_details from a store that might be in the Ukrane end up in the junk store I went to today?

And did the owner of the shop customize her or someone else?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: The adventures of Red Skelita

Postby Kattriella » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:02 pm

That is so sad . . . At least now she has a home with someone who loves her.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:29 am

The only thought I have is she could have been porch pirated. I messaged the seller and told them what area I'm in and where I found her but haven't heard back.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:36 am

Got a reply, Skelita's original selling price was $$$. No idea how she got the the junk store but the seller hoped she would go to a good home.

So the plot chickens as I wonder who would drop that much money on a doll to abandon it.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby victoriavictrix » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:09 am

DollyKim wrote:Got a reply, Skelita's original selling price was $$$. No idea how she got the the junk store but the seller hoped she would go to a good home.

So the plot chickens as I wonder who would drop that much money on a doll to abandon it.

I'd bet a donut that she was stolen along with a lot of other stuff and for some reason the thief dumped her at a thrift store rather than throwing her away.

OR

The owner died. The heirs (if any) or landlady sent everything not obviously (to them) valuable to the thrift store.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby davidd » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:27 am

victoriavictrix wrote:
OR

The owner died. The heirs (if any) or landlady sent everything not obviously (to them) valuable to the thrift store.

Yes, that's quite plausible. Once in a while I look around at my own cluttered piles of junk and realize that if (when) something happens to me, most of it is destined for a dumpster or a thrift shop. Nobody's gonna know that the eyeglasses alone from a Smart Doll would bring a quick hundred bucks on eBay. Nobody's gonna take the time to sort through it all. It's kinda depressing to think about.

Honestly, I'd prefer that most of my stuff end up in a dumpster rather than being subjected to the indignity of a thrift store.

I'm glad Custom Red Skelita was rescued by somebody who recognized her for what she is before some kid got hold of her. I'd like to know more about the find: I mean, what are the chances that somebody would run across the doll in a resale shop who was familiar with the online listing? Or did you recognize the doll as being a high-quality custom and then search for it online?
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:35 pm

I just saw a Monster I didn't recognize and it had its hands. It's hit and miss at that store, I've brought home whole Monsters, and it's the one I got a few other older dolls at, the Volks MDD was from a different location but the same store.

After I bought her I looked her up because I was curious who did her. Took a few tries with different keywords in image search.

As for value of stuff... I could have got my greedy cousins to move my everything across the country if I told them I have a few pricey things. Then again I got my second copy of A Stitch in Time at the exact same junk store for $2. If it's not a bride doll or a fancy boxed Barbie or Franklin Mint it's not "valuable" to them.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am

More than likely the original buyer gave her away. So as long as she isn't stolen I'll keep her.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'