Go to footer

The Dollieh Waiting Room

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: The Dollieh Waiting Room

Postby Jobee » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:I have to be careful about doll stuff right now. My husband and I are heading to JordanCon Thursday, and while as an officer he gets his membership free, there are plenty of expenses and things to buy in the vendor hall, artist alley, author den and charity auction! On top of that - I'm buying a doll back from a friend in the Atlanta area. My lovely Volks Sister Sister will be coming back home with me after the con! Soooooooo happy to have back!

I hope you had a good time! My husband is super jealous, he'd love to go to Jordancon someday.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Kirahfaye » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:31 am

Jobee wrote:I hope you had a good time! My husband is super jealous, he'd love to go to Jordancon someday.

JCon was amazing! Attendance was record setting (capped our hotel's contract allowance). The Charity Events blew out all their previous records and the Mayo Clinic is going to be surprised at the check they will be getting for their Amyloidosis center.

I have my Volks Doll. She's very floppy and her faceup needs updated, but I am so happy!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Tam I am » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:08 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:
I have my Volks Doll. She's very floppy and her faceup needs updated, but I am so happy!

Congrats!
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:49 pm

Even though they aren't our favorites from 'Sailor Moon' (My faves are Star Maker & Pluto; my sister's faves are Star Fighter & Uranus), we decided we ought to make Star Healer & Neptune SD sized 1/3 dolls as well, since having two out of three Starlights and Outers is just...odd.

:laughs:

It only took us over a dozen years to decide this! (We made the others in 2011 or so.)

So I ordered their parts yesterday and when I get a chance to make them, probably in August or November (our birthday week to work on our own hobbies), they will join their fellow partner Sailor Guardians.

Now....where will they stand/sit permanently? Hmm...

Maybe our Mom will take them in her room! :laughs:
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:36 am

Where will they...? is why I have a butt load, an actual measurement, of 1/6. I can't even find a place for 3 SDs here. Altho technically the big dolls would be in the baby buggy but there's nowhere inside for that. DIYs will definitely be better than any official Sailor Moon dolls when it comes to joints. I still have Tuxedo Mask somewhere and he feels cheaper than the regular Takara.

Can't wait to see them when they're done :D I still haven't even seen the whole series, even the original DIC dub. I wish you lived closer because I have some goodies that aren't doing anyone any favors sitting in a box.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:33 am

SetsunaKou wrote:Even though they aren't our favorites from 'Sailor Moon' (My faves are Star Maker & Pluto; my sister's faves are Star Fighter & Uranus), we decided we ought to make Star Healer & Neptune SD sized 1/3 dolls as well, since having two out of three Starlights and Outers is just...odd.

:laughs:

It only took us over a dozen years to decide this! (We made the others in 2011 or so.)

So I ordered their parts yesterday and when I get a chance to make them, probably in August or November (our birthday week to work on our own hobbies), they will join their fellow partner Sailor Guardians.

Now....where will they stand/sit permanently? Hmm...

Maybe our Mom will take them in her room! :laughs:

Add a shelf just under the ceiling. Put them up there. It's appropriate, considering what they are that they should be "above, looking down."
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby SetsunaKou » Sat May 06, 2023 1:30 pm

DollyKim wrote:Where will they...? is why I have a butt load, an actual measurement, of 1/6. I can't even find a place for 3 SDs here. Altho technically the big dolls would be in the baby buggy but there's nowhere inside for that. DIYs will definitely be better than any official Sailor Moon dolls when it comes to joints. I still have Tuxedo Mask somewhere and he feels cheaper than the regular Takara.

Can't wait to see them when they're done :D I still haven't even seen the whole series, even the original DIC dub. I wish you lived closer because I have some goodies that aren't doing anyone any favors sitting in a box.

Oh the 'Sailor Stars' (5th season) is our favorite! The Starlights are awesome!! (Fell for Taiki-san instantly! :laughs:)

Yeah, we are Sailor Moon aficionados, and after almost 30 years (saw it first in 1995 but really completely adored it in 1997/1998 when we saw the 5th season) we are back in total love with it! Never stopped making dolls and loving it, but it was kind of on the back burner for a long time until now when the reboot 'Sailor Moon Crystal' is releasing the 5th season (their version of Sailor Stars called 'Cosmos') in June 2023. (2 movies premiering on June 9 and June 30)
It's not as good as the original anime in terms of animation style or storyline, but anything Starlights we can't resist!!! :laughs:

We made a whole set of 1/6 Volks Sailor Senshi back in 1999/2000 but I really need to revise them with upgraded faceups and styling. They were some of the first custom Volks dolls we made! (We had ordered the BanDai Japan 1/6 dolls from Japan back then, and were super disappointed with the too cutesy and 'hollow' (when we got them in the mail, we thought we had been gypped with 'hollow' dollar store dolls which cost $40 - $300 each!!) Then we discovered that's how BanDai Japan made their dolls back then!!! :laughs: It was a crash course for sure! We were used to the quality of Barbie dolls!

We were in the minority who preferred the BanDai America or Irwin Canada dolls available then! They were pretty and different, I thought. Okay, not exact to the anime characters but well made and 'unique.'

However, when I saw Volks started a 1/6 doll customization line, I HAD to use their perfect anime face heads and bodies to make the Sailor Scouts!!! I am determined to get them out of my curio cabinet they are in now and upgrade them this year!!!! :goal:

But for now, we decided we HAD to make 1/3 StarHealer and Neptune, even though they aren't either of our favorites. But they are both part of the trio (which includes our faves) so they have to be here for the photoshoots! We tried to take some pictures last month with the four we currently have and it's kind of...incomplete, so that's when we decided to make the final two of six.

PS The original DIC dub is the best! It's the funniest, cutest and with most personality to the voices! The new VIZ dub is bland in every way. :laughs: But I do love the 5th Season Japanese language (DIC never dubbed 5th season) because you can't beat Japanese Starlights! (And their singing!)

victoriavictrix wrote:
Add a shelf just under the ceiling. Put them up there. It's appropriate, considering what they are that they should be "above, looking down."

:hugs: We actually took your advice about the floating shelves just under the ceilings in both our rooms already last time you mentioned it---I think several years ago!! Seriously, we are JAM packed and haven't any even 'under the ceiling' space left! All taken by shelving and photo frames already! (Even in our closets!!!! We have dolls up to the ceiling in our closets!)

It was such a good idea of yours to do shelves up there! It gave us so much more area to cover with more dolls and statues!!

But now, there are no spots left for another shelf on 8 walls. (4 in my room and 4 in my sis' room)

I have a Star Healer and Neptune table (my right nightstand) for all their figures and models but 1/3 dolls will definitely not fit on it.
Maybe if we move some plushies, they can squish on the side of it? I really doubt it but they've GOT to go somewhere once they are created. :laughs:
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Tam I am » Sun May 07, 2023 11:37 pm

Plushies like ceiling hammocks. Also some of them are fond of strings from the ceiling to hang from.
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Jobee » Wed May 24, 2023 9:43 am

I ordered Lagoona and Cleo. I almost ordered Abbey, because she was in stock for 5 minutes, but she sold out too fast for me.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby maywong » Thu May 25, 2023 11:33 am

I am waiting for my Little Mermaid dolls.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'