Go to footer

Dollieh Sanctuary BJD Heretics Manifesto

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: Dollieh Sanctuary BJD Heretics Manifesto

Postby Trethowan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:52 am

Geekmama wrote:This is fabulous! I was really intimidated checking out another site with lots of rules. I'm glad I can ask about anything here! :D I knew that most BJDs were anatomically correct, but I didn't know they had swappable parts. O_O Are they in *ahem* different states of excitement or something? :shock:

The Dragondoll does come with three winkie options. I named them Sleepy Bit, Happy Bit, and Zesty Bit. They are most definitely representative of three levels of turgidity. Zesty is the most festive and will not in any way shape or form fit in clothes. It's ridiculously large. They make hilarious refrigerator magnets. Ivan is not amused. :oops:
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Carrillo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Socks are great! I'm rubbish at making clothes, it takes forever. All my guys are grateful for underpants made of socks....
I have 20+ BJDs... I was only gonna get one...
Carrillo
i see dead dolliehs

Postby embyquinn » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Unreal. Has it really been three years since anyone posted on here? And of course it's Calamity Quinn who starts it all up again.

Apparently my assertion that Cherry is a BJD has come to the attention of a number of dissenters. I have been active on true-bjd-confessions (posting upon which is the Tumblr equivalent of saying "Thank you sir may I have another?") and, well, I guess I let the dogs out. And covered myself with A1 steak sauce.

Apparently a BJD is ONLY a BJD if it's strung with elastic. it doesn't have to be polyurethane. Even the ball joints don't matter. If it's not strung with elastic, it's not a BJD.

*head asplody*
Last edited by embyquinn on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:47 pm

embyquinn wrote:Apparently a BJD is ONLY a BJD if it's strung with elastic. it doesn't have to be polyurethane. Even the ball joints don't matter. If it's not strung with elastic, it's not a BJD.

Apparently the person that told you that is either stupid, very gullible, or just a plain liar. BJD is an acronym for Ball Joint Doll, a doll that has ball joints. It says nothing of material, nothing of the "connective tissue", or any other qualities of the doll. The person that told you this has been brainwashed by the snobbery of the "definition" of ball joint dolls espoused by another forum, who has an exhausting list of requirements of what a BJD is to them. What they actually have is an RSRHREADAMBJD (Resin, Strung, Removable Hair, Removable Eyes, Asian Designed, Asian Manufactured, with a couple of Ball Joints Doll).
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby embyquinn » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Karl, you are my hero forever. Will you Internet marry me?

I honestly wish it was just one person. But it was at least half a dozen responders, maybe more, who objected to Riri's BJD status. Some were actually trying to be kind, as though I were a clueless noob. Some were disdainful. At least one told me to shut the fuck up. In as many words.

Over and over, the consensus seemed to be that it it wasn't strung with elastic you can't call a doll a BJD. Even if it's got ball joints. Even if it's made of resin. Even if it was sold as a BJD. Even if it has changeable eyes/wigs/body parts. No elastic, no BJD. PERIOD.

Yeah, eventually I quit arguing about it. And four days on they're still going at it.

Man, quarantine must be really boring for them.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Kattriella » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:07 pm

I like be how being a ball jointed doll isn't enough to make something a BJD to some people. :roll:

In other news, "I let the dogs out and covered myself in A1 steak sauce" is my new favorite way to tell someone I screwed up.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby K2! » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:57 am

That other forum's brainwashing had been pretty effective. They also have the advantage of being one of the first groups to the party. They feel that makes them the "authority" and they can set precedent, which of course is total bull shirt. What they need to do is come clean about this label and state that on their site "BJD" or "ABJD" refers to a highly specific and lengthy set of specifications only one of which is actual ball joints. The rest are totally arbitrary, designed only to exclude other dolls from their little club.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby embyquinn » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:36 pm

K2! wrote:That other forum's brainwashing had been pretty effective. They also have the advantage of being one of the first groups to the party. They feel that makes them the "authority" and they can set precedent, which of course is total bull shirt. What they need to do is come clean about this label and state that on their site "BJD" or "ABJD" refers to a highly specific and lengthy set of specifications only one of which is actual ball joints. The rest are totally arbitrary, designed only to exclude other dolls from their little club.

Totally in agreement here. The simple truth is that they've had to change their criteria over the years. Any other old schoolers remember when they wouldn't allow and throw dolls? how about the time they said that the dolls had to conform to a specific aesthetic which meant that they couldn't look too realistic or too cartoony? Better yet, the rule that said that they had to approximate human proportions? I don't think that's what it actually said, and it's been too long ago for me to remember, but I guarantee youa the Humpty doll would have been out on its egg-shaped butt. (Wasn't there at one time a rule that required a doll to have detailed genetalia? Someone please fact check me on this.)

I've been a member of Den of Angels for over a decade, and I know what the rules are, and even if I don't agree with them, I do abide by them because it's their house. I wouldn't think of breaking their rules no matter how arbitrary and unnecessarily picky their regulations are. Obviously they cannot allow discussion of every single type of doll, or they would need equivalent bandwidth to the entirety of North America, maybe with Europe thrown in. I would though like them to include vinyl and ABS BJDs, simply because those are BJDs too. They could justify excluding things like Barbie and monster high simply because those are specifically marketed to children. There would be a bit more work in including adult collector dolls, so considering the amount of dolls they already cover, I don't really see them expanding their horizons any further anytime soon.

Though I'd really like them to prove me wrong.
Last edited by embyquinn on Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby embyquinn » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:36 pm

embyquinn wrote:
K2! wrote:That other forum's brainwashing had been pretty effective. They also have the advantage of being one of the first groups to the party. They feel that makes them the "authority" and they can set precedent, which of course is total bull shirt. What they need to do is come clean about this label and state that on their site "BJD" or "ABJD" refers to a highly specific and lengthy set of specifications only one of which is actual ball joints. The rest are totally arbitrary, designed only to exclude other dolls from their little club.

Totally in agreement here. The simple truth is that they've had to change their criteria over the years. Any other old schoolers remember when they wouldn't allow and throw dolls? how about the time they said that the dolls had to conform to a specific aesthetic which meant that they couldn't look too realistic or too cartoony? Better yet, the rule that said that they had to approximate human proportions? I don't think that's what it actually said, and it's been too long ago for me to remember, but I guarantee you the Humpty doll would have been out on his egg-shaped butt.

I've been a member of Den of Angels for over a decade, and I know what the rules are, and even if I don't agree with them, I do abide by them because it's their house. I wouldn't think of breaking their rules no matter how arbitrary and unnecessarily picky their regulations are. Obviously they cannot allow discussion of every single type of doll, or they would need equivalent bandwidth to the entirety of North America, maybe with Europe thrown in. I would though like them to include vinyl and ABS BJDs, simply because those are BJDs too. They could justify excluding things like Barbie and monster high simply because those are specifically marketed to children. there would be a bit more work and including adult collector dolls, but considering the amount of dolls they already covered, I don't really see them expanding their horizons any further anytime soon.

Though I'd really like them to prove me wrong.
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Well I am old and cranky and if it was MY Tumblr account I'd block the asshats, delete their posts, and post on it that "This is MY definition of a BJD and if you don't like it, shut your pie hole and walk away because it won't get any better here for you."

I'm only on Denizens of Asshattery for the Crafting, Sewing and Patterns threads anyway. Which takes me about 5 minutes to peruse. I'm kind of apalled at the number of people who apparently spend hours there.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'