Go to footer

Hats Off to Tiny BJD Collectors - My Tiny Fail Story

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Hats Off to Tiny BJD Collectors - My Tiny Fail Story

Postby paladinari » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:08 pm

So I guess this is a little random, but I just wanted to post up my appreciation for anyone who makes clothes for tiny (11cm-ish) BJDs and/or manages to dress them or handle them without pulling their hair out. I never realized how difficult any of this would be.

I recently came into owning a Jun Planning Ai Cosmos with the plan that I would turn her into a wee little cat girl for part of my BJD family. I wanted to dress her in a tiny kimono and make little bitty cat ears and a tail for her.

She came in an adorable nurse outfit, and I never really appreciated how small this was until I tried to take it off of her so I could get accurate measurements. The short story is that I began to panic halfway through undressing her, already worrying how I was going to be able to dress her again. Once that was done, I began to panic as my measurements were in more of the 1 inch range (than the 6 inch range I can usually get away with with my MSD, for example). This also called for teeny tiny seams, teeny tiny details, and working on such a small scale and I actually ended up straining my hand from trying to keep everything so small while sewing.

The kimono ended up horrible, and I abandoned the project halfway through and put off redressing her in her nurse outfit until today. Then I wanted to take pictures of my dolls in front of our Christmas tree so I wanted to dress them all nicely. The short story is that for the 10 minutes it took me to dress my two MSD sized dolls, it took me almost a half an hour, a pair of tweezers, and a few strategically placed swear words to get that small, adorable doll back into her original outfit. Her little bitty thumb kept getting caught on ONE thread. -.-

So in conclusion, I have a newfound appreciation for all you tiny lovers out there. Anyone who has the patience to make clothes for and dress these dolls deserves a hearty pat on the back. I guess I just need more practice...

Happy Holidays!

At Home: Little Ari (Resinsoul Mei), Gilan (Resinsoul Song), Mina (Jun Planning Ai Cosmos), Yukiko (5StarDoll Tong Tong), Julia (Hujoo Yumi), Lion'a (Hujoo Suve), Ella (Jun Planning Hestia Isora), Mint (Fairland Pukifee PongPong, "unnamed thus far" (Hujoo Nano Freya)
Wish List: Delf Ani, Resinsoul Yun/5StarDoll Angelo (f.), Island Doll Emily, BJD Hamster pet
paladinari
Dolly Pardon

Re: Hats Off to Tiny BJD Collectors - My Tiny Fail Story

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Reading this reminds me the first time I watched the making of the movie Coraline. A women kitted Coraline's sweater and even her mittens! Coraline is 9 or so inches tall and super thin!

More info below. :)
http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... s-sweater/
http://blog.oregonlive.com/knitting/200 ... sweat.html
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:13 am

Felt, stretchy velvet stuff, and other forgiving fabrics you don't have to hem that much. Most of my designs are jumpsuits, jackets, and simple dresses. Back in the Victorian day girls had a 6" doll they learned to sew for with all the frills and trims.

Wider sleeves, with elastic cuffs if you wish, solve many thumb problems.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:34 am

Practice really will help, that's for sure, but don't worry you'll get the hang of it eventually.

I had no idea the JP Ai dolls were that tiny - I thought they were in the Yo-Sd range! One suggestion I have is that Seraphim Grace made a book of patterns for OrientDoll So-Types - which were the first truely tiny tiny dolls out there. The book isn't very expensive (she sells it on her Lulu page) and the patterns can be modified for most any tiny. Patterns do make it easier :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby EAB » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Gift_in_Edge wrote:Reading this reminds me the first time I watched the making of the movie Coraline. A women kitted Coraline's sweater and even her mittens! Coraline is 9 or so inches tall and super thin!

More info below. :)
http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... s-sweater/
http://blog.oregonlive.com/knitting/200 ... sweat.html

This is amazing!
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Linteia » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Funnily enough, I have the opposite problem of finding it easier to sew for my tiny than my 1/6th and MSD scales. I have to sew it all by hand, but it goes so much faster and I have an easier time adjusting patterns to her than the bigger girls for whatever reason.
Linteia
the walls have dolliehs

Postby paladinari » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Greyhaunt:
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when getting such a small doll. I opened her up and probably felt as nervous as a parent with a newborn, "What am I supposed to do with this!?" (luckily she's not as breakable... as resin or a child ^.^*)

Here she plays with a tiny eraser and sits next to a 2.5" figurine.

Mina in my MSD doll's lap

Linteia:
I really admire people who have the patience to sew by hand. I'm practically glued to my machine and have no patience for handsewing. I can imagine that would make little clothing much easier to make. :)

At Home: Little Ari (Resinsoul Mei), Gilan (Resinsoul Song), Mina (Jun Planning Ai Cosmos), Yukiko (5StarDoll Tong Tong), Julia (Hujoo Yumi), Lion'a (Hujoo Suve), Ella (Jun Planning Hestia Isora), Mint (Fairland Pukifee PongPong, "unnamed thus far" (Hujoo Nano Freya)
Wish List: Delf Ani, Resinsoul Yun/5StarDoll Angelo (f.), Island Doll Emily, BJD Hamster pet
paladinari
Dolly Pardon

Postby Greyhaunt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Well, I know there are people who sew for tinies with machines, but I'm a dedicated hand sewer myself! I just can't do those tiny seams with a machine - I htink it's because I have pedal lead-foot syndrom hahahahaha.

WOW she is small! A lot smaller than I thought they were. Still, she's very cute and I'm sure you'll get used to dealing with dressing the tiny size. Dollykim is right - loose fitting fabrics are a lot easier to deal with and dress them in, but you know what - when I dress my Pukipuki I often pull their hands off (they are magnetic) to make it easier. And with 11cm obitsu - pop that arm right off and slide it up through the sleeve hahahahaha. Sounds wrong, but is much much simpler :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby Evelien » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Mina is adorable!! What a pretty wig she has!
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby EAB » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:19 pm

she is a darling! I love her in her little nurse's uniform.
I don't see how it's possible to sew clothes this small on a machine.
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'