Go to footer

BJD terminology for a n00b?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: BJD terminology for a n00b?

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:46 am

YO-SD is short for Young Super Dollfie

Be careful about 26cm dolls - some are like Barbie and other fashion dolls, others are the same height but meant to be very young children. This can cause trouble when you see a wig you love and it's labeled for 26cm dolls. It's much better to go by the head size. For example: A 1/6 obitsu usually has a head that is 3 to 4 inches around. They take wig sizes 3/4 (which stands for three to four and not three quarters). My Dollzone Juli, who is also 26cm, is a young child doll. His wig is 6/7 (for six to seven inches). Always double check your measurements. And ask questions! We have all been there! I thought I would never understand it all, and now I find myself knowing exactly what company and sculpt a doll is fairly often!

If you can go to a doll meet, you can actually get to see them in person. That is a really good way to learn.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Re: BJD terminology for a n00b?

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:12 am

If it's about 1 foot/30 cm tall, Barbie size, but doesn't have strings holding it together I call it a Little. This helps to keep the smaller Volks and Obitsu, among others, separate from Hujoo, Dollzone BBs and Yo-SD sized dolls who fall under the 1/6 scale umbrella. It's all about how much you love your dolls any way.

Does this picture help? The 30cm doll compares to a Ken, the 40 to Tonner and Gene style fashion dolls.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'