Go to footer

3D printer doll

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: 3D printer doll

Postby quidam » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Interesting.
What is your opinion of the quality?
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby eendogenisis » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:20 pm

the - side

- the plastic is very "fuzzy" so it will take lots of sanding to make it smooth.

- the head wobbles from side to side, the neck is narrower than the hole for the head...so that will need fixing to make it look better.

- the joints aren't very good, it can lift its hands, but not pose much.

the + side

+ its a interesting design

+ the tentacles are lovely

+ owning something made with a 3d printer
A woman always has half an onion left over, no matter what the size of the onion, the dish or the woman.
eendogenisis
Dollmatians

Postby Pandor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:38 pm

Awww! EES SHO KYUTE >w<
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with him! :D
Pandor
the walls have dolliehs

Postby EAB » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh, wow, you got him.
Amazing. I am still bowled over by the fact that people can actually do this.
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby eendogenisis » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:24 pm

lol yeah first time i heard about 3d printing...my reaction was "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee replicator!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ^_^

yeah its totally mindboggling that one now can print things like that...I'm so looking forward to it becoming less just for tech experts and more mainstream(in price that is) imagine all the brilliant dollie stuff one could get ones hands on ^_^
A woman always has half an onion left over, no matter what the size of the onion, the dish or the woman.
eendogenisis
Dollmatians

Postby kiki-chan78 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Eh? *looks at self* how is 3D printing only for tech experts? It is currently well within the mainstream realm. Seriously, if you're smart about your model/print, there's no reason for it to be a horribly expensive process. For example, here's just a few of my prints available through my shapeways shop:

Actually, the rings aren't in the shop atm, because I'm still working on their base model.

These items were all made because I was frustrated in *not* finding what I wanted... so I modeled them out and had them printed. Mainly I was originally only interested in the Kamas, but Yanagi-sen asked if I was going to make a Kusarigama as well. So I re-worked the original model and was able to come out with an acceptable MSD scale Kusarigama. Though, I'm still working on that segmented chain-whip. ^^;;;

Now, making something like a printed SD, THAT would be cost-prohibitive. Keeping to small light-weight items, is more cost-effective.

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby eendogenisis » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:12 pm

cause every time I've tried an 3d model program..i've been ready to trow my pc out the window in about 5-10 min time..lol

what I mean by mainstream is...more used by sellers who can use it to make lots of doll stuff..at an ok price.......
cause right now its mostly used for fantasy stuff, and I want more casual stuff.....things one has at home
eendogenisis
Dollmatians

Postby kiki-chan78 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:59 pm

LOL. Yeah, 3D programs are a little on the frustrating side. From what I understand, Blender (free) is about as user friendly a a rabid wolverine. Sketch-up is also a bit on the glitchy side, and would hang my computer if I looked at it funny. XD

From what I understand, FormZ and it's accompanying programs are pretty user intuitive. I know that Sculptris, is also fairly intuitive, and free as well, but kind of limited. You might want to look into those. Please keep in mind, regardless of the program you use, any decent model is going to require an insane amount of work.

There's also the option of going into the shapeways forums and asking/looking for someone to make the specific object you want.

One of the reasons a lot of this isn't really gonna hit dollieh mainstream just yet, is because you need to get the people with this particular skill-set together with sellers. But, the people learning the skill-set needed for 3D print are learning them for different reasons. They normally aren't doll people, so it's not going to occur to them that someone might want a 1:3 scale ping-pong paddle or fishing-rod with tackle-box.

But price-wise? Depending on the material used to create the model, totally attainable. ^.~

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'