Go to footer

Dollieh temptations and plans

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: Dollieh temptations and plans

Postby Kattriella » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:22 am

Oh, I know exactly which curvy you're talking about. She's my favorite. I named mine Stevie Rhae. Something about her just screamed "Texas beauty queen", so that's her backstory now.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:06 am

Stevie is a good name. She just has an entertainer vibe to her.

Before I buy I'm going to look thru my heads and see if I can just give someone a home perm or reroot. If I juggle a couple of heads I have a body to use.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Jobee » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:01 pm

I had a heart to heart with my husband about my doll collecting future. I really like my Monster High collection, but I don't think I want any more, unless they release some particularly pretty new characters. We talked about getting some Mego Horror dolls, because I'm a huge fan of old black and white monster movies, but figured I wouldn't get much play value out of them because they have molded on hair, and most of the characters are male, which I'm less inspired to make new clothes for. The Bride of Frankenstein gets a doll, but not the Daughter of Dracula, or any other iconic female character.

I got rid of my FailFix dolls in my big doll sort and toss of January 2022, and I've regretted it ever since. They were a lot of fun to wash their hair, very cute, with different body types. Also, I've gotten a lot more confident in my ability to draft doll patterns, so I'm up to the challenge of making patterns for them. Hubby agreed, so I've started to search for the short lived doll line. Some of the dolls are still on sale on Amazon, but others I'll have to get from Ebay. They also came out with a few pets for some of the characters. I might get those too, I love pets.

I also still have the BFF dolls on my radar. They're very affordable, pretty articulated, and cute. I have two of them so far, and even though I don't want the whole line, I'd like a few from each series. I've already made patterns for them, I just need to find them...

I've completely stopped collecting Rainbow High dolls. As much as I loved them on release, there's just too freaking many, they cost more than other dolls, and they stopped being fun.

I might do another doll sort and toss, because I've bought a lot of dolls in the past year that I just didn't connect with. I tried a lot of brands, Bratz, Equestria Girls, MORE Rainbow High, and they just aren't inspiring me like the Monster High dolls are right now.
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Kattriella » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:14 pm

I should not be allowed to make decisions while tired. On TOP of deciding I need to start making custom dolls for the ENTIRE main Sailor Moon cast, the pile of meat jelly that pilots this fleshy mechsuit I call my own decided, "Hey, let's ALSO make EVERY SINGLE OUTFIT that any of the characters have worn! We can organize them by character in a binder and it will look so nice and aesthetically pleasing!" Nevermind the fact we haven't even STARTED on the dolls themselves yet and that Sailor Moon is one of the few anime where the characters had an actual WARDROBE of clothes. Why am I like this?

At least this person already did all the work in tracking their different outfits: https://sailorcivilian.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Kattriella on Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:07 pm

Have you considered paper dolls for some of your ideas?

And look in to seeing if your brain is producing enough chemicals because you might not be making enough dopamine or something and dolls is one of the ways your brain feels it can get it.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby SetsunaKou » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:03 pm

Kattriella wrote:I should not be allowed to make decisions while tired. On TOP of deciding I need to start making custom dolls for the ENTIRE main Sailor Moon cast, the pile of meat jelly that pilots this fleshy mechsuit I call my own decided, "Hwy, let's ALSO make EVERY SINGLE OUTFIT that any of the characters have worn! We can organize them by character in a binder and it will look so nice and aesthetically pleasing!" Nevermind the fact we haven't even STARTED on the dolls themselves yet and that Sailor Moon is one of the few anime where the characters had an actual WARDROBE of clothes. Why am I like this?

At least this person already did all the work in tracking their different outfits: https://sailorcivilian.tumblr.com/

DollyKim wrote:Have you considered paper dolls for some of your ideas?

We actually did that ourselves so you’re not alone! dollyKim-san, we made paper dolls of the entire cast of sailors and planned every outfit they ever wore! :laughs: we didn’t quite finish but almost! Even their bathrobes! Laughs I’ll have to scan them in sometime!

Katriella-san, we’re in the same boat! We’ve made the Senshi entire cast (22 characters) In 7 different doll sets since 1997, (Bandai Japan 11” [with this set, we started making several of their outfits,too! Got to school, casual, wedding, princess and ‘work’] and 6”; Irwin Canada 11.5” and 6”; Irwin America 11.5” ad 6”; Volks japan 11” in which we made the 22 charas plus their civilian boyfriends!) and now I’m starting one more set of the new BanDai 9” dolls for Sailor Moon Crystal. I just bought the 4 inners on eBay yesterday. Too expensive but better than what they’re going for otherwise. The rest I’m starting to plan customs. Already made Pluto and Uranus for this set since they’re our faves.

Ugh! I feel ya! Hugs
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:55 pm

Paper dolls just aren't my thing. I'm too rough with them.

At least one good thing about the fact that my brain wants to do a MASSIVE, multi year project, is that I will literally NEVER be without a project to work on for the next several years, which is good for someone who feels like a failure when they're not doing SOMETHING productive.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:20 am

Between a still undiagnosed but most likely autism spectrum disorder, genetics, how I was raised, and hitting my frontal lobe with a planet I get where you're coming from. You aren't the failure, it's the people who told you that you are and everything you do is an FU to them.

Do you have an idea book? I keep a physical blank paper book I call my 'tornado of thought book'. Anything and everything my brain comes up with goes in there. Journaling, art, collage, clothing tags, receipts, stickers, stories, stuff I don't want to forget. It makes room in my brain for new ideas. No one else ever has to see it unless I want to share. It has helped me to be able to refine my ideas and accomplish them in useful ways.

And if you like to remake dolls what about getting some TLC ones at a junk store or yard sale, fixing them up and making them stuff, then selling them as OOAK to fund other doll projects? When I was rerooting and selling Monster High the profits always went to getting me more Monsters.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:03 am

I've never been interested in selling my dolls. Most of them are characters I created throughout the years for an overarching story I've been developing since childhood, so they're all very special to me.

The Sailor Moon dolls, I've realized, are my brain's way of trying to heal my inner child (who spends most of her time hiding at the bottom of her toy box inside her closet with her ears covered as hard as she can until she falls asleep, hoping that her family stops screaming at each other and calms down before they realize they haven't seen her for a while and come looking for her so they can yell at her for not coming to diffuse the situation, even though she's four years old). Throughout my childhood, which was not a good one, Sailor Moon was my safe space. I could put in my VHS tapes of her and go to her world and fight monsters and be safe and happy, even if it was just for a little while. I think that's why my brain has fixated on this and wants them to be the best they can be, because the world is still a mess and it needs that safe space back, because it knows adult me won't fit in the toy chest anymore.
Kattriella

Postby Jobee » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:02 pm

I'd actually like to get back into making custom dolls. I'm all full up on Western releases, and want to make dolls of the NekoPara cast. No, I don't know why I need 6 catgirl waitresses, but this is what I'm feeling right now...
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'