Go to footer

Dollieh temptations and plans

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: Dollieh temptations and plans

Postby Qrinta » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 pm

All of the Luts clothes that fit into a Wonderland theme are tempting me right now. XD
Qrinta's Cantankery

If you like Legend of Korra/Disney and cutesy art in general (like my avi) consider checking out my bestie's Patreon Some content is NSFW.
Qrinta
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Kattriella » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Currently planning on putting my tax return towards a "craft shack", essentially a shed for crafts and doll customizing. My grandfather said he'd help me run electricity to it and install shelves and such so i can turn it into an actual art studio. Hopefully it'll at least be on the property by some time in April so I can get it ready by the beginning of summer. Then I'll have my own space for customizing my tiny plastic children and taking pi three of them.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Currently in kimono fever after coming across some pretty fabric a month or so back. I still have a green color piece to finish up.

I wanna ask the folks here.
- if basing on fabric alone, cotton is consider yukata or still manage to edge into the kimono department but more causal depnding on how the fabric looks?
- If you line the cotton, does it get upgraded to Kimono?
- Or just finish the green color piece already, you have only two weeks left for this. :lol: :lol:

Medium Helen is wearing the blue one for now.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby oniakki » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:I wanna ask the folks here.
- if basing on fabric alone, cotton is consider yukata or still manage to edge into the kimono department but more causal depnding on how the fabric looks?
- If you line the cotton, does it get upgraded to Kimono?
- Or just finish the green color piece already, you have only two weeks left for this. :lol: :lol:

From my understanding the biggest difference is yukata are cotton (and various polyesters) while kimono are silk.
Other differences I can recall off the top of my head include:
* Yukata are unlined (as they're normally used during the hot summer and after baths), while kimono may or may not be lined depending on their intended purpose.
* Yukata are generally more standardized in style/design, while kimono tend to vary quite a bit more, as they're usually custom made. (This is probably less true now-a-days then years back thanks to the various ease of manufacture inventions that've cropped up)

I've heard these next two from a much smaller number of sources so not sure how accurate they are (though now that I've typed them they seem to be the same piece of information)
* Kimono are always worn with at least one 'skirt' (this is basically a more plain kimono/yukata shaped slip made from a variety of materials including silk, cotton, wool, and various polyesters)
* A kimono will always have a minimum of 2 collars. (as the collars of the 'skirt(s)' are visible when wearing a kimono, this is probably the same information as the one above but presented in a less useful way.)

There's also the various cultural bindings the two garments have, but those haven't seemed super important to the actual construction of them (other then basic understanding of why particular materials are chosen.

I'd like to again stress that this is only my current understanding of the differences between the two and that I'm only an american peering into the culture as best I can.

Edit: also, forgot to say that I really like how your garments are turning out.
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:30 am

oniakki wrote:Edit: also, forgot to say that I really like how your garments are turning out.

Lol Thanks. I know what you mean.

When I started out doing this I was aiming for the Homongi style(something like what Megu-Chun is wearing) since it was formal enough for both married and unmarried characters to wear when needed for projects. But a suitable fabric was difficult to find outside of Japan and I like the gradient fabric. By now I would think that it may be able to sneak into the Komon territory.

But meh, since the outfit itself is meant for a Youkai cat type character, she gets to bend a bit of the rules until I can find a suitable fabric. Otherwise she would have to settle for a solid color silk piece. Life is tough enough when you're a 50cm Obitsu and Iple SID woman who are too small or too big for usually available stuff.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Janeway » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:26 am

:) I will be getting a smart doll. I have changed my mind about what size l like better. I like the SD size better.
Janeway
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 am

Janeway wrote::) I will be getting a smart doll. I have changed my mind about what size l like better. I like the SD size better.

Which one? :D
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Janeway » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:59 am

Dark Angel l have ordered the Mirai anniversary one.
Janeway
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Anonymouslazycat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:29 pm

I currently have two main doll modification projects I'm working on. Here's a sneak peek on one of them :arrow:
Anonymouslazycat
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Dark Angel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:53 pm

Anonymouslazycat wrote:I currently have two main doll modification projects I'm working on. Here's a sneak peek on one of them :arrow:

Oooh, a birdy. Is she going to be a bird or maybe a plague doctor?
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'