Go to footer

Weird dollieh experiences?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: Weird dollieh experiences?

Postby hanabushi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I've always wondered why they make porcelain dolls with the forward-fixed, "dead" looking eyes. It can't be any harder for them to set them looking off to the side or something (like you can with BJDs, etc.) can it? It would go a long way to making them look less intimidating. **headscratch**
hanabushi
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 pm

I have no idea. I mean I heard the reason the original barbies had eyes to the side was because there was some legend about dolls staring straight ahead stealing your soul through the eyes or something.

The only thing my dolls have done with their eyes being straight is take my money and multiply...
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby TieflingBoy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 am

My sister had this "Little Miss Mermaid" doll as a kid. I hated that thing! The song she sang gave me the creeps, and I don't know why. My sister never really thought much of it. A few years ago, I was getting ready for my first move, my friend was helping me clear out my closet. We stumbled upon the dreaded "Little Miss Mermaid." I remember asking my friend how they thought such a creepy doll was a good business decision, but of course, my friend had never heard her sing. He changed out her batteries. She sounded so horrible from non-use that it was actually kind of funny. So, we left her on the kitchen table without thinking much of it. I was going to fix her up some and take her down to a thrift store, figuring she could find a loving home as a silent doll.

We bunked down in the living room for the night. I kept the TV on low so my friend could sleep (I have to be listening to something at night or I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep). Just as I was about to doze off, I heard that doll sing. I muttered, "Nanjou, we broke it." He just laughed and told me it was probably one of the animals. But then we kept hearing it. So, we went into the kitchen and pulled the batteries out. Then, she started singing again after five minutes. :shock: We threw the darn thing back in my room and the next day she went in the trash.
TieflingBoy
i see dead dolliehs

Postby jemlovecraft » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:03 pm

I agree with the guardian dolls thing. I have a particular teddy bear (he's a Classic Pooh who's been by my side since the day I was born) who is Real in the Velveteen Rabbit sense. He's threadbare and has so many holes it's ridiculous, but he's still my bear.

Creepy little toy experience: my dad and I used to do father-son bonding trips and buy small things together. One of those things was Coco, this little plastic robot cat who was supposed to respond to your voice and move toward you. She never did that, but for certain times in the middle of the night when she would activate, red LED eyes glowing, and start chirping at me.
God I hated that cat.
I also won this old fake Barbie answering machine once and I never used it. It ended up in a box in my closet and it would activate itself every so often. Except now it isn't in that box.
I absolutely can't stand talking and moving toys, though. They give me the creeps.
deviantArt
Flickr
Story blog/Doll blog
At Home: BBB Ariel (Leah) ♠ DZ Hid (Sam) ♠ DZ Mo/AOD (Pen) ♠ RS Fei (Siri) ♠ RS Tang/D-Leaves (Cord) ♠ RS An (Michael)
jemlovecraft
Dolly Pardon

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'