Go to footer

Making a Barbie jointed

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Making a Barbie jointed

Postby catshem » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:54 am

Is there any good way to do it? I have your basic, standard Barbie with the straight arms and click joint, rubbery legs and I'm just curious if anyone has done anything successful like making the arms jointed? I'm sure the softer leg plastic would probably not work and so I would have to replace the legs. So, I guess I just want to know if anyone can point me to something I haven't found that shows making a Barbie's arms jointed? I have to work with what I've got.
My dolls Family
I make doll wingsOfficial Store here
Commission thread here
Mirrored Fantasies Etsy store
**DS exclusive coupon code for my etsy shop: DS15OFF
I like cats and dolls... I think my life is set. Wife of Rob.
Their story The God of Rampage
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: Making a Barbie jointed

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm

............ pop her head on a Liv or Obitsu body?
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby catshem » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:13 pm

The next body I buy has to be Blade's, this Barbie is also really tan so I don't know what she'd match. Just trying to work with what I have without having to buy another body.
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Siead » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:31 pm

try the thriftshop. i've found alot of fashionistas or other older jointed barbie bodies there, usually for a buck or two. :)
https://twitter.com/SieadAitGR is the central hub for all my hobby blog/vlogging.
Siead
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 pm

catshem wrote:The next body I buy has to be Blade's, this Barbie is also really tan so I don't know what she'd match. Just trying to work with what I have without having to buy another body.

I don't think there's a way to put joints into the non-jointed bodies unless you have jointed parts from another doll to Frankendoll her with.

How dark is she exactly?
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark

Postby catshem » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Lamia of the Dark wrote:
catshem wrote:The next body I buy has to be Blade's, this Barbie is also really tan so I don't know what she'd match. Just trying to work with what I have without having to buy another body.

I don't think there's a way to put joints into the non-jointed bodies unless you have jointed parts from another doll to Frankendoll her with.

How dark is she exactly?

Mostly I was thinking of cutting her arms and somehow making some ball joints. My lighting is a little bad now but she's tan like Cleo de Nile, from what I can tell.
I just wanted to see if I can even do it.
My dolls Family
Commission thread here
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 pm

catshem wrote:
Lamia of the Dark wrote:

How dark is she exactly?

Mostly I was thinking of cutting her arms and somehow making some ball joints. My lighting is a little bad now but she's tan like Cleo de Nile, from what I can tell.
I just wanted to see if I can even do it.

That sounds like a LOT of work... :shock:

I would not know how to go about doing that.

I think your best bet would be to look for a jointed Barbie body in her skintone.
Lamia of the Dark

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:49 pm

I believe that in order to make jointed arms out of the doll body you would actually need two identical bodies, because otherwise the arms would be too short. You would need to cut one to be the upper arm, then the the other would be the lower.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby DollyKim » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:11 am

Cleo is the same color as the 100 Poses Fashionista so that would be a much easier solution. Otherwise you'd need apoxie sculpt or miliput or some other air dry compound to make the joints after you make your cuts.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'