Go to footer

Dollieh Face-ups

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Dollieh Face-ups

Postby Nelly19 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 am

Is there a right way to do a face up? If not, is there a wrong way? I dont know if I am the only person but I sometimes experience insecurities about the presentation of my doll. Its interesting to see the same scuplt but may different face ups. I re did my obi48, and didnt even use paint...just pencils and pastels to create the face I wanted...thing is its far from anime I think, atleast am not sure. Then I scroll around the net looking for other owners of these 1/3 scale characters and see the faces they each came up with....Is it normal to feel like my face up wont fit in? Does anyone else feel this way? I guess I can only rest in the knowledge that as I gain experience in the hobby, and painting in general i will get better and one day...be able to paint/draw an anime face up with awesome eyes ^.^
Its never too late to change course.
Nelly19
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Dollieh Face-ups

Postby OkamiKodomo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 am

I don't know about a "right way" to do a face-up, seeing as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen some face-ups that I would consider rather ghastly, or even cringe-worthy, floating around the Den and ye olde Interwebs, but the dolls were all much-beloved by their owners, so I say more power to them. Some people like super-realistic face-ups, others like fantasy face-ups with swirls and sparkles (me! haha) and still others like gore mods. I say, if you love your dolls, and you're pleased with the work you've done, then that's what counts. If you're not happy with it, then practice practice practice.

There is however, a wrong way to do a face-up, in as much as using the wrong materials. Sharpies and oil-based anything, for instance. That's the only wrong thing to do, in my opinion. :)
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby SoapBubbles » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 am

I agree with Okami. As long as you're happy with what you've done, I think that's plenty. :D I love the infinite number of possibilities we have with face-ups and, like you said Nelly, you'll get better with experience so who cares if your face-up right now may not be exactly what you had in mind?

I'm terrible with face-ups myself (hence why Woon has a company face-up right now), but I'll sacrif- I mean, practice on Woon as many times as I need to be able to get the face-up I want. :twisted:
~**~ My Family of 3: Niel (BF TF/MNF Hybrid), Eira (Soom LG), & Mare (Soom TG). ~**~
SoapBubbles
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Yanagi-sen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm

I think there is a 'wrong way'... but that's by using the wrong materials, not sealing, etc. With any other art form, practice makes perfect. I never use paint either, good quality ground chalk pastels, and watercolor pencil. As the others said, if you are happy with the look, it doesn't matter what other people do with their dolls or if yours 'fits in'. I send my 'big boys' to Kiki-chan78 because I LOVE what she does (and she's one of my best friends), but I do my own for the 1/6 and tinies.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Nelly19 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:34 pm

but I'll sacrif- I mean, practice on Woon as many times as I need to be able to get the face-up I want. :twisted:

rofl. ^.^ Woon ......RRRRUUUUNNNNNN!!!! And thank you, I really like what I did the second time around and i guess i should get some practice head (anime and human-like) and just practice. That makes me feel kinda better haha i have only been doing this 5 months now so its just a big pond to a little fish kind of experience, and being the only bjd hobbist (i Know of) in this country makes it tough. thanks guys
Its never too late to change course.
Nelly19
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:04 pm

I recommend going into Tips and Tricks and looking at the Pinned topic about doll faceup supplies - it will give you most of the dos and don'ts as far as those are concerned.

As the others have said, whatever works for you is the right way! Now if you are simply talking skill, that is just a matter of practice. One thing you can do is find a cheap second hand doll head to use as a "practice" head. Lots of people get these and just do faceups, then remove them, do faceups, then remove them. Of course you risk doing one you love and then keeping the head, but nothing is wrong with that, just get another cheap head to practice on!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby OkamiKodomo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm

ahaha I bought a "practice head" and turned him into a character of mine. I prefer to think of him as a rescue project than a practice head. XD
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby SugarCorpse » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 pm

i picked up a brat today for 69cents to practice on =]
SugarCorpse
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Dirili » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 pm

OkamiKodomo wrote:There is however, a wrong way to do a face-up, in as much as using the wrong materials. Sharpies and oil-based anything, for instance. That's the only wrong thing to do, in my opinion. :)

Yep, that's about it and pretty much everyone has said it. Just adding my voice to the chorus lol.

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder, and one man's trash being another man's treasure and all that. Personally I can't stand Doll Chateau, Bergman or Kaye Wiggs dolls, but a lot of people love them.
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby arrowchild » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:12 am

I'll definately second the idea of a practice head! When I first began doing face-ups, I bought one and it was a HUGE help!

Also...I think there most definately CAN be wrong ways to do face-ups. For example, if you are trying to get very fine, crisp intricate lines and are using pastels and pencils instead of properly thinned acrylic then, yes, you're 'doing it wrong.' Likewise, if you're trying to achieve a soft, blended look and are using ONLY acrylics then, yup, that's wrong. Because you'll never achieve what you're going for with the approach you're using, the approach is wrong.

As far as aesthetically wrong? Nope :D Like everyone has said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you love the way your doll's faceup looks and it's beautiful to you, then I don't see how it can be 'wrong!' :)
arrowchild
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'