Go to footer

Is That.... A Barbie? (please share stories!)

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Is That.... A Barbie? (please share stories!)

Postby SugarCorpse » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 am

Does anyone have any stories of people criticizing their dolls? Or maybe just general rudeness towards having dolls?

i Have one,

Yesterday i went to school from my boyfirends house... and had to bring Kat to school to bring her home x_x|| and he kept bringing friends to our locker to show them "the creepy doll". that didnt bug me much cause his close group of friends know i got her because they have me on face book and they've wanted to see her up close for awhile now. Plus i know them, and talk to most of them often.

But standing outside another one of my boyfriends friends asked me if Kat was a Barbie and not just asked.... like laughed and said it in a really rude mocking way =/ it really bugged me. My boyfriend made it better though by yelling "does it look like a barbie" in her face till she said no XD it kind of made my day. after that i told her how much she cost, and the girl looked shocked and said the most expensive thing she owned was a $100 mp3 player. It felt kinda nice knowing Kat's worth about twice and a half that. lol it shut her up pretty good.
SugarCorpse
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Re: Is That.... A Barbie? (please share stories!)

Postby embyquinn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:41 am

The only real rudeness (if you can call it that) that I've experienced over my dolls is from hardcore BJD collectors who scoff at Cherry for not costing hundreds of dollars and being a "mass-produced" doll. And that hasn't happened often. I'm fortunate enough to have had mostly positive feedback about my girls.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SugarCorpse » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 am

embyquinn wrote:The only real rudeness (if you can call it that) that I've experienced over my dolls is from hardcore BJD collectors who scoff at Cherry for not costing hundreds of dollars and being a "mass-produced" doll. And that hasn't happened often. I'm fortunate enough to have had mostly positive feedback about my girls.

Oh i know that feeling! i was scared to even post anywhere with those people until i was sure i'd be getting Kat x_x :? some of them way back when i first started looking at bjds online didnt even want to answe questions about them unless you had one....

I really hope that my moxie teen wasnt smoke damaged, i miss her a lot D= i named her Sayoko and i had like 8 different wigs for her and 5 outfits i made. So i'll be really upset if i dont get her back safe x_x||
SugarCorpse

Postby zirconmermaid » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:45 pm

When I have had Hazel out and about I have had people, especially children's parents, think she is a Barbie. Since I am an older woman, they are usually just admiring her and I explain about her and bjds and frequently hand them a Junkyspot card. I have had people point and laugh, but I just ignore them. I am happy with Hazel and I don't care about them. A school situation would be harder I think. You are with people who might feel threatened by anything different and who are trying to prove they are grown up. Someone who is able to be themself and different is going to upset them. Keep enjoying your boyfriend and your doll!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Kirahfaye » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:46 pm

The worst I had was at Dragon*Con last year when a a young woman dressed like a hooker vampire or ... something, pointed at me holding my ShuShu elf as we walked through the Dealer's Room and said loudly and rudely " That's just wierd!". I literally laughed out loud, and continued walking. If someone holding a doll is the weirdest thing she saw at D*C she has a strange tolerance level ....
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Dirili » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I think doll collecting or BJD collecting are pretty much on the same level as comic book, baseball card, coin, manga or any other kind of paraphanelia collecting. Or like being a Trekkie or Star Wars fanatic. None of them are a big deal in the great scheme of life, but there are people that make fun of any and all of them.

You know, personally I really think that those fantasy football leagues and stuff are just as nerdy hehe.
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SugarCorpse » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Dirili wrote:I think doll collecting or BJD collecting are pretty much on the same level as comic book, baseball card, coin, manga or any other kind of paraphanelia collecting. Or like being a Trekkie or Star Wars fanatic. None of them are a big deal in the great scheme of life, but there are people that make fun of any and all of them.

You know, personally I really think that those fantasy football leagues and stuff are just as nerdy hehe.

this is true but i think dolls are less nerdy and more.... like.... hmmm i dont know if theres a word for what im thinking lol :lol:
SugarCorpse

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 am

I don't really take my dolls out of the house, but my little brother (who just started high school) likes to tell me that dolls are creepy and "ha ha, you play with dolls".

And I'm like: :| Really? That's the best you can do? You're not even trying, bro......

Of course, being a teenager, he is easy to embarrass/offend and I can send his scurrying off to his room to sulk with a few choice comments :lol:
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:51 am

More like a funny comment:

I had Riven with me when going to a friend's house cause she wanted an Obitsu and she wanted me to show her mom my boy who back then all he had was his bead eyes, his crappy face up I tried to do on him and some new clothes. A girl she new in her neighborhood walked up to us, talked and then said: "I like your Barbie."

I quickly said his name and explained he was called an Obitsu not a barbie and when she left she said: "Have fun with your BARBIE!"

Ugh kids...Sometimes you just wanna laugh hard at what they say...And facepalm at others..

Otherwise? Not really. Most people get curious about my dolls especially when they've seen photographs like this:

~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby mica » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I showed a woman friend photos of my dolls and she thought they were like
kinky/ sexual / creepy photos.
Then told me I needed to get out more.
Haven't heard from her since.
sexual? really????
:roll: They are the photos on here and they are CUTE darn it all.
At least my friends and family love them.
Kerryth- Delilah Noir Dark and Defiant
Anakin- Goodreau Schemer
Robin- Impdoll Bobo
Willow- Hujoo Suve........Bran- Hujoo Suve
Atrus- Domuya Venturo......Miriana- Delf EL
Riven- Dollzone Yuu
mica

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'