Go to footer

Is That.... A Barbie? (please share stories!)

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: Is That.... A Barbie? (please share stories!)

Postby Nelly19 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:04 pm

well....i usually post pictures of my dolls in the making on fb, and have gotten questions. Its not really negative, its usually "neat toy" or ..."dont you want to buy a car". My best friend is afraid of my 1/6 obitsu cause she looks like a human, and she finds it creepy, but hse likes my 48cm cause of the option hands....( and she says am weird). My siblings are ok cause i have always been a doll fanatic. My bf doesnt mind my hobby, he sometimes meddles with my doll and poses her wierdly and laugh cause she holds the positions.

There is a group here in the bahamas called the asiain addiction group, they love kotaru because they have never seen the doll before ( and she is a japanese product). other people rudely ask me why i like them and i like to responed with " she is cheaper than your BABY will ever be. Rudeness isnt monopilized by anyone. (side note: am only 19, the person had their baby fresh out of highschool) Others laugh and be like "you play with dolls" >.< really, and i guess clubbing and looking 35 at 19 is cool. Sigh.
My coworkers are also fascinated and understanding, so am i bugged nope. Not even moved a smigeon.
i have a job, an understanding bf, family, friends, and a doll that has cost me close to 500 so far and that 500 of play dollars after savings and bills and commitments.....such is life lol
Its never too late to change course.
Nelly19
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby SugarCorpse » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 pm

mica wrote:I showed a woman friend photos of my dolls and she thought they were like
kinky/ sexual / creepy photos.
Then told me I needed to get out more.
Haven't heard from her since.
sexual? really????
:roll: They are the photos on here and they are CUTE darn it all.
At least my friends and family love them.

=/ my boyfriend mentioned my doll the other day to someone and she texted him later asking if we have kinky doll sex with it... :? i dont know if she was joking, serious or just trying to be mean spirited towards me, which she is almost all the time when we've never even talked....
Actually a few people have asked me if its sexual.... O.o weird

@nelly19

Omg i know what you mean! part of what convinced my mom to let me spend my money on it was me saying to her "i have 4 friends who have babys, 2 who are pregnant and 3 who are trying to get pregnant, I'm only 20 mom, they're all my age or younger. Would you rather let me buy a doll with my money or have me get pregnant. either way i want something small i can dress up. YOUR CHOICE" :lol:

although i'm not gunna lie, i do like to go clubbing once in awhile... Although i look 12... so it makes up for it
SugarCorpse
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Dirili » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm

SugarCorpse wrote:You know, personally I really think that those fantasy football leagues and stuff are just as nerdy hehe.

this is true but i think dolls are less nerdy and more.... like.... hmmm i dont know if theres a word for what im thinking lol :lol:[/quote]

Nah, I think it's pretty accurately on the level of collector nerdy. Typically when people get attached to a certain type of thing in their childhood and carries over to, or is rediscovered in adult hood and becomes a fixation.

Just different flavors of nerds, like tech nerdy, otaku nerdy, sci-fi nerdy, fantasy role play nerdy, baseball card nerdy, fantasy football nerdy, comic book nerdy, Twilight nerdy, Harry Potter nerdy, barbie collector nerdy, vintage baby doll collector nerdy, etc. It's really basically a blanket term for people who are fixated on and know way too much about something that is not essential to the very basic aspects of life.

I've got a fair number of nerd facets myself hehe. BJDs, horror, CG graphics, rpgs, anime, Asian cinema, etc.

The more rare types of nerds may face stronger reactions though due to shock factor of people discovering something they never knew existed before.
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SugarCorpse » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Dirili wrote:

I've got a fair number of nerd facets myself hehe. BJDs, horror, CG graphics, rpgs, anime, Asian cinema, etc.

XD those are some of the things i love too... asian horror is probably the best horror i think! =D
SugarCorpse

Postby cabbage » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I love to take my dolls out with me, and on occasion I do get asked weird questions. A lot of mothers have approached me with "Oh, my (some age below 12) year-old daughter loves dolls! How much do these cost?" I always love reactions to the ranging prices, they end up being like "Nope, not gonna do it."

As for offensive stories the closest thing I have actually found offensive was when a friend's friend started 'trying to relate' to me. "Oh well I used to help my grandma make porcelain dolls, I mean yours are OK but mine were a lot better."
I guess I wasn't so much offended as annoyed at her close-mindedness, as well as her ignorant assumptions to the subject at hand, none of my BJDs are porcelain, they're all resin or vinyl. I don't remember if that was exactly one of the things she said, but she bantered on for a while like that. Mind you this was over a year ago so I can't remember much of that rant of hers.

Most of the people I meet are very interested by my dolls, and I'm always happy to share what I know, as well as show them the bjd world. :3
cabbage
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby BadCandy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:57 pm

I guess as an adult, my doll is so counter to my public persona, very leather jacket shredded tee 90's punk with a haircut that makes me look like I still listen to "The Cure", which I do..It'd be one more thing for someone to try to pick a fight with me about. Which happens alot, at random, which i dont get because i'm one of the happiest malcontents ever..
I don't take her out in public unless I'm taking pictures, and even then, I've considered making a green screen so I can keep her inside and safe. My biggest fear is someone thinking they can touch her because I brought her out with me. I've seen it happen, you look away for a second and someone is fondling their wig without permission.
Last edited by BadCandy on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram makes me a better photographer, rite? LOLZ. Siggie under construction.
BadCandy
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby kurosu.chan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:45 pm

For the most part, people are pretty nice about them. I've had really nice conversations with people about them (all sorts of people...I sometimes take them to the mall with me >.>), and I love it when a) old ladies ask me about them, and b) little kids ask me about them.
I'm told, though, that when I took Mihika out and was taking pictures by an old tree that had outgrown it's landscaping and tore up some of the bricks in a brick sidewalk, a lady approached me and was very...not rude (well, yeah, rude), but more nosey? Anyway, she asked me what I was doing and if I tore up the bricks...my mom said I told her that the tree did it (I don't really remember it... What? I was busy :lol: ).

It's kind of amusing, really...I'm thin, short, and have no muscles...and I'm usually wearing Lolita. Of course I tore up the bricks! /sarcasm
kurosu.chan
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 am

I think I find a simple way to explain the doll hobby to someone. Dolls are another canvas for expression. They can be a models for showcasing clothing someone has made, photographed to tell a story, or help give vision to a character.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby SugarCorpse » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:48 pm

that is a good way to explain it gift =D

Today i was at school and needed to bring Kat to get her from my boyfriends place to home. and some kid yelled at me "hey arent you to old for dolls?" and tried to actually GRAB her from me. :evil: ihave no idea what this kid thought he was doing. he was taller then me but probably like 5 years younger than me, and I kind of kicked him away from me and he landed on his butt and i said "i dont think i am but a girl with a doll just knocked you on your @$$ in front of your friends.... what now?" and he kinda just walked away looking confused. :lol:

on the plus side some girls got really excited to see her and said they wanted one and i talked about her to one of the teachers who thought she was really cool XD :D
SugarCorpse

Postby Linteia » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 pm

Today in my photography class we were critiquing each others photos and I brought one of Fionan that had some grain and lighting issues to discuss ISO. Some guy in class suggested to 'take pictures that were less creepy' (great crit from a guy who brought blurry cell phone shots). The professor was not impressed with his humor either.
Linteia
the walls have dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'