Go to footer

Mind boggling my room mate!

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Mind boggling my room mate!

Postby BadCandy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 pm

So, I just got an awesome job contract and after purchasing new clothes and a bottle of nice perfume for myself, had very little in the way of needs. I decided to start buying stuff for my 1/3 girl again. Tiny packages and boxes have been arriving almost daily for about a week. LOL. He laughed about it for a while, wondering if i was ordering some kind of figure kit, a piece at a time. When I explained what it all was. He sat with me during a clothing un-boxing, he finally caved and said that he was glad I was doing something nice and impractical for myself, because I've been working so hard. He gets the spending on something totally frivolous that makes you happy. I totaled up my receipts recently and realized I could have bought a new lower end doll. lol.

What do the people you live with think about your doll clothing and accessory spending?
Instagram makes me a better photographer, rite? LOLZ. Siggie under construction.
BadCandy
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Re: Mind boggling my room mate!

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 pm

lol, well... they certainly don't know how much I spend on the stuff...

>_> there's an outfit I saw on ebay that I want for my Picco Neemo, but it costs more than the doll body did T__T

I have her in a Monster High dress right now, but the one I saw is from Azone and made specifically for the Picco Neemo... but I can't get over the fact that it costs more than the doll's body did...
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby BadCandy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am

I'm a little ashamed of myself for splurging like that, but its been a while since I have.

Holy jeebus the nice AZONE stuff is pricy..
Instagram makes me a better photographer, rite? LOLZ. Siggie under construction.
BadCandy

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 am

I try not spend more for the wigs or clothes than I do on the dolls' bodies, as a general rule...

<_< doesn't always work out that way, especially when I can't find the *right* wig for someone.
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark

Postby BadCandy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 am

I just have a weakness for OOAK clothes. Some of that stuff is just insanely beautiful. and I finally found my grail boots, a pair of thigh highs that everyone seems to have in red, but never white, in WHITE! I mean, having a doll is almost like having a tropical fish. you decorate the tank until you're happy with it, and enjoy its beauty. Have you ever put off something important to get doll stuff? I mean, that I cant understand..Putting off doc visits ect.
BadCandy

Postby Kirahfaye » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:12 am

You don't want to look at DollHeart outfits then. LOL! I just bought one (brand new this time) through the Doll Peddler for my boy since he had a "sudden growth spurt" and his old clothes didn't fit him. The good thing is that DP will often do layaway - otherwise he'd still be wearing his high water pants!

Oh, and if you like OOAK outfits, I recommend ATsuri on DOA. She's made several of the dresses my girls wear. We also have great seamstresses in this group, as well.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye

Postby BadCandy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:23 am

I'm not going to really get into it, but I have a thing about DOA. I had an account for a short amount of time and decided I didn't like it. And I'm going to leave that at that, and do not want to get into a discussion about DOA. I'm fairly handy myself, having been in a medieval re-creationist society for twelve years, but sometimes I find breathtaking pieces and have to have them. I just bought a lingerie set for my girl that I waffled on for over a month. I've been perving the sales threads and the handmade stuff threads. I usually don't have time to sew for my girl though, and my medieval friends look at me funny (I know, lolzy rite?) for sewing doll stuff for MY OWN DOLL sitting in court or at a feast. I'm usually embroidering something. I'm working on a gown for my girl That may end up being second handed to my next 1/3 girl. Dollheart makes me cry. :? I want!!!
BadCandy

Postby magkelly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:09 am

I don't have an enormous amount of money to spend on doll stuff. I'm lucky most months if I can spend $25 on a doll or stuff for dolls. I do however have an elderly aunt and elderly parents who like rewarding me for taking care of them all the time by getting me Barbies here and there which is nice, lol. I do the thrifts and the flea market a lot, make my $$$ stretch. Ordering dolls and their stuff online that's usually for Christmas and birthday. I can sew a bit so I tend to make a lot of my doll clothes. I sell off a lot of the original outfits put that money back into doll bodies. Fact is I don't need any more dolls. I've got multiple dolls in almost every Barbie and Ken sculpt there is.

I've got a fleet of Barbie, Liv, MT and Bratz dolls, half a dozen MH kids, ditto on Jem, and more 16"-20" girls and boys than I can comfortably display in my current space. I've been collecting for a long, long time and it shows. Even on my tiny budget a person can accumulate a lot over the years. There comes a time in any doll collector's life where it's not about "need" it's just about "want" and I passed into the latter stage a long while back I will admit. Nobody needs hundreds of dolls and several huge boxes of clothes, shoes and props. It's an addiction and I have no problem admitting that I'm addicted. The way I look at it if it's not drugs, it's not booze or nicotine, I'm doing okay. If the worst addictions I can claim are chocolate, cola, old camera gear and dolls then I'm not exactly living life on the wild side, shrug. I'm not like most of the very serious doll collector's that I see on boards like this dropping thousands every year though. I can't afford to do that. Two or three hundred maybe, but not thousands.

My roommate is totally cool about the doll thing. She has her things she collects too and we're non-judgmental type friends. My BMF he's a bit creeped out by the dolls and admits it but he knows I like them and has actually bought me dolls in the past. He's come to respect what I do with my dolls, but he's not about to sit down and play with them even if I would let him. My BFF she's a doll collector now herself, my doing, so I have no problems there. If anything she's way too much of an enabler when it comes to my doll habit now. My family supports it, but they're more amused by it than truly understanding of it. One of my nieces gets it. She's a kid who collects dolls and who likely will her whole life. The other one likes to play with them but I don't think she'll be as into it once she gets into her teens. I could be wrong but I don't think she got the doll collector DNA, though she does like her little Ty stuffies...

I'm very much looking forward to my Delilah's but I'm also a bit worried that the American semi-BJD's will be a little like a gateway drug. Get me spending more on them and their wardrobe than I do on myself! I've already spent a good chunk of time looking at cool colored wigs in their size, at $20 pairs of shoes and $10-20 pairs of eyes and I don't even have them yet, laugh. I don't "need" to buy them anything but I just know I eventually will. BJD stuff, it's just too cool and too darned tempting!!!!
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Janeway » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 am

Lamia of the Dark I was having the same prombles with finding the right wig etc so l went to a web site called wigs2dolls and l found the right one.

I don't live with anyone so no one can complan about the stuff l buy for the girls but my dad complan about me buying stuff for them etc.
Janeway
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Yanagi-sen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:44 am

I live by myself and the cats don't care... ^_~ As for clothes, I really try to make everything I can, that way I know they will fit properly and are made right. The more I make, the pickier I find I am becoming. I don't attempt real shoes (geta and medieval sandals don't count) or wigs though.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'