Go to footer

SilverBeam-Shapeways

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

SilverBeam-Shapeways

Postby BadCandy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 am

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but this is an independant doll studio that uses a prototying company. http://www.shapeways.com/shops/silverbeam_magic (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam)she makes dolls, cosplay items and accessories, and her work is pretty impressive.
Instagram makes me a better photographer, rite? LOLZ. Siggie under construction.
BadCandy
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Re: SilverBeam-Shapeways

Postby Stormlight » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:38 am

Yeah, I think someone posted a while ago about the jointed MLPs she has for sale. Her stuff is pretty impressive.
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Evelien » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:41 am

Doesn't kiki-chan also use Shapeways?

I'm not sure how it works, but I've seen it mentioned lots of times here :D
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Yanagi-sen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:21 am

Evelien wrote:Doesn't kiki-chan also use Shapeways?

I'm not sure how it works, but I've seen it mentioned lots of times here :D

Yes she does, not only for doll accessories, but that's how she's made the prototype parts for her Sweet Dolls Allison and Alice.

Here's her shop.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/acrylic_eyes
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kiki-chan78 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Ayup! Kinda hard to believe that these cuties:

Started out like this:

Currently working waiting on small version of Alice to arrive... she'll prolly arrive monday to me? Missing two important parts, screw up on shapeways side, and those should arrive in about a month. -_-;;;

This photo was taken by Yannyan. It costs about $20 for me to have things from shapeways shipped to me... and $6.50 for them to be sent to her. ^.~

I will admit, it is nice to have a wide variety of options when doing 3D prints. It's seriously awesome! You can go from a simple nylon print, to METAL! Though, you can't print up links in metal, the process is different from the nylon. Still, awesome stuff. ^___^

Of course, once I've got an in-studio printer at my disposal (this march), I'll prolly become a LOT more prolific in my modeling/printing. Mainly because it'll put a stop to me having to wait so friggin long on a test print. ^.~

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Nelly19 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 pm

I am thoroughly impressed by you Kiki and have found two people to get awesome stuff for my kotaru who I may rename when she is completed. :) talented
Its never too late to change course.
Nelly19
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby kiki-chan78 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Nelly, awe! Thank you!

Evelien, the way shapeways works is, it's kinda like Zazzle or Cafepress... on crack spiked with awesome.

Shapeways has access to several 3D printers (these things normally are crazy expensive, $10,000-$50-000 for a *decent* machine) that print out in various materials. We're talking, anywhere from nylon (they call this material 'White Strong and Flexible, WSF for short), to stainless steel, to glass... one of the newer materials they have is ceramic, and those have different solid color glazes you can get them in.

Users come along and upload a model in the right file format (I tend to use STLs) to the shapeways site. The person then has the option of keeping their model private, so that the only one who can order copies of it is themselves; or they can put the model for sale, either publicly or privately. Publicly available models for sale are then made available in that person/designer's online shop (space provided by shapeways) and anyone who wants to purchase it, may.

When a model is purchased from the user's shop, the file is sent to the facility for it to be made, and about two weeks later (depending on material type, and where you live) a package arrives for the happy customer. ^___^

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Kiki's dolls are awesome. Allison is such a cutie, and I can't wait to see Alice all finished.

Kiki-chan, I've been meaning to ask; were you planning on making other hand poses for your lovelies?
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby kiki-chan78 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:58 pm

At some point Allison will get a wrist 'upgrade'... the only reason he didn't get the separate hand/wrist is because of time. I wanted him done, and it was by far simpler to make a hand with the wrist attached than create an attachment for the hand to the wrist.

Alice, however, already has this attachment built into her wrists. It'll allow her hands to be swapped easily and efficiently. Her hand files are also set up to allow for them to be put into positions.

Here's a detail render showing the construction of Alice's hands:

So, the answer is for Alice, yes. She will have different hand positions. The 1:4 scale dolls will also have a variety of hands.... Allison, will have to wait for me to get around to making him a new set of wrists and hands. ^.~

Oh! For those curious about Alice, here's the photostream of her progress shots on Flicker. ^__^

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Such a cutie -squee- I really hope I'll be able to afford one of your darlings down the line. Adorable.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'