Go to footer

Makies

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Makies

Postby Vetinari » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:52 am

http://makie.me/

What do you think of them?

They're a cool idea - but I can't help but compare them to bjds and the similar and more affordable hujoos even though it's really not a fair comparison

(also since I'm well into the hobby - I find it kinda frustating that all of the usual measurement values are missing... :?
http://revdancatt.com/2012/06/20/some-r ... e-me-doll/
Last edited by Vetinari on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
...reshelling Szesil Markowski and Garan Idasson
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Re: Makie's

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 pm

They remind me of all the other "large head small body" dolls out there on the market...only not really as nice. I'd rather see a decent pic of a real one than all the digital images they have on the start page.

interesting idea, but I'm not sold on it.
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby K2! » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Someone's got a 3D prin-ter...
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby kiki-chan78 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:45 pm

SLS 3D printer to be precise... There have been several references to the dolls being made of nylon, and the only printer types that will handle nylon are the SLS ones. The material gives a decent tooth the printed piece, and is also porous. It can be sanded, cut, and painted. Shapeways has named this specific material White Strong and Flexible, or 'WSF' for short. This is also my preferred material for ordering my 3D accessories from shapeways in.

Here's a shot of a Makie that a BJD face-up artist got their hands on:

From what I understand, the makies use normal 1:6 scale clothes, and work well with rement accessories.

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby yarwel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:23 pm

They're cute but... Expensive. As an artist I don't feel there's enough customization to make it something I would really want to do(Eg. there's really only one nose and you just stretch it how you want). I could see this being good as a commemorative thing for people who aren't into doing actual customizing. Also, I'm personally not into the big headed thing so much.
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Vetinari » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Yeah - I love the idea, but the execution? Bleh really...
That and I'm sure there are companies that offer 3D printing services for much less.

Kind of interested in the arduino end of things but my knowledge of programming is as good as nil, it seems as though they've got big plans for the future especially since the'yre still calling this the alpha stage, not even into beta yet...
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
...reshelling Szesil Markowski and Garan Idasson
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby kiki-chan78 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 pm

3D printing services tend to be very not cheap. At his cheapest, 'Frankie' (the half-sized prototype for Allison) was about $100. The material used for him is about half the price of the nylon stuff that the Makies are printed in.

To break down the printing costs, nylon tends to run $1.40 per cm3. For some reason, let's say that you decide you need a solid cube that is 1cm tall, wide and deep. That solid cube is $1.40. Take a look at how large 1cm really is. That's not very large. You also aren't paying the person that modeled out that cube, cuz, it's a cube, really.... for once you really do just click a button. ^.~

So, what happens when you need a solid 10cmx10cmx2cm? That not very large thing is $280. 3D print prices add up very quickly. o.O;;;

Alice's test print is coming closer to $200. Considering that 1/2 Alice is nylon like the Makies, it 'makies' sense that she'd be about twice the price of Frankie. XD

Never ask how thin this girl is in a few places. >.>;;;

So, imho... the pricing on the Makie prints is pretty decent. Even more so, since you aren't the one building the 3D model yourself. Tweaking, yeah, but actually sitting there and pushing poly's around, nope. ^___^

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby happyknot » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 pm

I think they are intriguing!
happyknot
Dolly Pardon

Postby Lon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 am

I like the concept but they are too pricey for me. It doesn't help that apart from the one Kiki posted, I have never seen one with nice paint. Either a bit slopped on or mostly just blank.

http://makie.me/forum/topic/71/
The measurements

http://makie.me/forum/topic/123/
Jeans pattern on page 1, hoodie and cape patterns on page 2, dress and tee on page 3. Hmm...I wonder what else these might fit...
Lon
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Makies

Postby zirconmermaid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 pm

I think they might just have a market - and I think it's a cool idea.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'