Go to footer

Indecisive

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Indecisive

Postby Kukolka » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:31 pm

This is just me chattering about my dollieh indecisiveness. Maybe seeing it all written out will help me decide. :}

This started with wanting to make my MMO cleric's in-game clothes. When I first envisioned my cleric doll, I was thinking 1:4 scale, like what I saw some girls carrying around at a convention. Plus MSD size would fit in my old Pleasant Company furniture.

MiniFee Rheia would look right. But I'm having trouble finding a guy to go with her (if I ever decided to get one). This may be silly but I think I'd want them to come from the same company, and I'm partial to Korean-made because the MMO is Korean. For the guy, the few MiniFee with adult nose don't look right for the character in some other way. The most accurate would be a Mirwen head on a male active line muscular body. But again, child nose, and I am afraid I wouldn't be able to do the faceup well enough, leaving him girly. :( (The lips are the right shape but eyeholes are too big, and I don't trust myself to cut eyeholes into a sleeping face.) And ideally they would look late teen age, which the MiniFee don't quite.

1:3 scale seems to have the most options available for wigs and shoes. The face on Senior Delf Odin is perfect for the warlock. (Too bad they don't make Odin's face for 1:4 size.) I fear large dolls would be too unwieldy because my left hand can't grip well or carry anything heavy. But if I later got larger dolls, I wouldn't want the cleric and warlock to appear child-sized next to them...

For the cleric at first I liked Senior Delf Blanchet but now think she may be too smiley. Annette's face shape is more similar to the CG character's. The more pictures I see of her the more I like her.

If I bought one Senior Delf now, I would not be able to afford another for quite a while. Adding in face-up supplies, eyes, one wig, eyelashes, and I couldn't even make one outfit right away. And then the dilemma of which comes first? Maybe I should buy the Odin first, to not risk him going sold out in the meantime. And storywise it makes sense for him to be around for the girl's box opening, because he's (much) older than her. (Think Edward/Bella age difference.) But.. but... it's *her* clothes I want to start on already!

I'm also afraid, what if the face-up doesn't come out anything like what I envision? What if it looks really bad? :s Maybe should go with default company face-up. I'd like to try a Barbie repaint first but all my cheap dolls are in storage until we move into a house. (*Why* am I trying to buy a BJD at the same time as a house? LOL.)

Mayhap the best option is 1:6 scale because it's less expensive thus less daunting. Er.. but 1:6 scale means a choice between Volks (imo nicer looking bodies) and Obitsu (better posers & shoe options). Probably Volks EB-NEO girl and Obitsu slim guy with Ares head. They could use my collection of Barbie and Re-Ment props. And it's more likely I'd add other characters from their story. But I think I'd be happiest with a more expressive face sculpt only found on larger resin dolls. And could always make other characters later in 1:6. Or maybe I should start with that to see how my first face-up goes.
Kukolka
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Indecisive

Postby Yanagi-sen » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Kukolka wrote:This is just me chattering about my dollieh indecisiveness. Maybe seeing it all written out will help me decide. :}

I'm also afraid, what if the face-up doesn't come out anything like what I envision? What if it looks really bad? :s Maybe should go with default company face-up.

There is always the option of having someone do a face up for you. It is amazing what a good face up artist can do with changing the look of the sculpt. I'm partial to Kiki-chan78, not only because she is my friend, but also because she has created wonders with my 1/4 boys, one of which is a KDelf Ani boy. ^___^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Kukolka » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Yanagi-sen wrote:There is always the option of having someone do a face up for you. It is amazing what a good face up artist can do with changing the look of the sculpt. I'm partial to Kiki-chan78, not only because she is my friend, but also because she has created wonders with my 1/4 boys, one of which is a KDelf Ani boy. ^___^

True, commissioning a face-up artist is an option... For me there is the trust issue as I am very new to the BJD community. And after ordering and waiting for the doll to arrive, I don't think I'll want to send the head away (though I may feel differently if I try a face-up and fail miserably). Thank you for the recommendation, I'll keep that in mind in case I try and it doesn't come out as envisioned. :)
Kukolka
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Yanagi-sen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Kukolka wrote:True, commissioning a face-up artist is an option... For me there is the trust issue as I am very new to the BJD community. And after ordering and waiting for the doll to arrive, I don't think I'll want to send the head away (though I may feel differently if I try a face-up and fail miserably). Thank you for the recommendation, I'll keep that in mind in case I try and it doesn't come out as envisioned. :)

I can understand that. Kiki-chan78 is a member of this forum and Junkyspot and has been leading the face up workshops at DollAKon (BJD con that is part of the A-Kon convention in Dallas) for the last three years. She hasn't posted new work lately (she's been creating her own doll line, Sweet Dolls) but you can see some of her work here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=560

Not that I'm trying to say you HAVE TO COMMISSION SOMEONE (I do my own tinies after all) but just trying to reassure you that if you go with someone who has good feedback and examples, you shouldn't be afraid to trust them with your doll.

Welcome to the insanity... um... hobby. ^___^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'