Go to footer

Limited Doll....What Exactly Does That Mean?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Limited Doll....What Exactly Does That Mean?

Postby Tahlise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Ok, so it should be a straight forward answer but I can't seem to get a straightforward answer. So I'm here to ask my lame question. I just found companies like Soom and Impldoll and they sell these neat centaur and fantasy dolls. Only they are labled Limited Edition. Now Soom and some other companies have clear ordering periods. So I'm guessing after the ordering period is over, those dolls are no longer available, right? Now, Impldoll, has no ordering periods and some of their Limited dolls appear to be in stock. So are they? Can they still be ordered, specifically the two elephant taurs Demi and Aemi? I don't have a clue how to ask the companies. I tried to write the Q&A thing on Soom but it didn't work. So I'm hoping someone here can help me. If they are still order-able I want to start getting some of those. And if not, does anyone know where I buy some of them second hand? Or maybe another company sells them, like Denver-doll sells some Impldoll? Also, can you order dolls if they are out of stock? Normal dolls? And limited edition ones during their ordering period?

Here's the link to those elephant taurs.

http://www.impldoll.com/goods.php?id=555

Thanks for your help in advance:)
Tahlise
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Limited Doll....What Exactly Does That Mean?

Postby kiki-chan78 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Dolls can be limited in three ways.

They can be limited to a specific ordering time, meaning you cannot order it outside of that time-frame... like the soom monthly dolls. Oddly enough, the soom monthly dolls, it's not really the doll itself that is limited, it's the accessories, all the extra bells and whistles that are really limited to that ordering time.... so there is a very slight chance that one of those sculpts will appear again with new swag attached, and still fetch a high price-tag.

The other way a doll is limited, is when the company states that only 'X' number of them will be made. Once 'X' pieces have been made of the identified sculpt, it will no longer be produced and the molds either retired or destroyed.

Event-only gift. I've got two of these... you have to buy '$X" amount of the companies product to qualify to receive this item. It can be a small doll, or a head. But, the amount of these that are made are directly tied to the number of sales within the time frame specified.

Depending on the desirability of the limited doll, second-hand market prices will vary. If the doll is very desirable, expect the price to shoot up like crazy when one becomes available.

In the case of the little elephantaurs? Only 50 of them will be made. If you are serious about wanting one, get it asap BEFORE all 50 are sold.

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Kirahfaye » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Also, if there is more of the LE dolls produced than the demand covered, they will be available like the normal in-stock dolls. It's usually very limited, but it does happen.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Stormlight » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:12 pm

What they said. If there are limited dolls still in stock at Impledoll, it's only because they haven't all sold yet. Sometimes if the sculpt isn't particularly popular (limited or not) it takes a good while to sell out of it. But once they're gone, they're probably gone for good. So if you're really interested, you might consider buying one while you have the chance.
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 pm

The whole limited edition thing annoys the heck out of me because I don't think it's fair LOL. That said though - I have one or two of my own so I can't complain :)

As the others said, if you can see it on the website as orderable - get it while you can!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby kiki-chan78 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 am

I can see why they would limit some dolls. If a doll is a PITA to make, or just the company showing off what it CAN do, then I totally understand them not wanting to have to make more than they have to. One thing that most people probably don't realize is that the molds for reins dolls wear out, break down and have to be re-made. This isn't something that happens after there have been 100 pulls from the mold... we're talking, after every 20 dolls or so, a new set of molds is made.

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78

Postby Tahlise » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys:) I took the advice and tried to buy those two dolls. But the site is so weird. When it's time to make the payment it just dead ends. There's no link or redirect to paypal. How do I pay for my dolls? I wish Junkyspot had Impldoll XD This is a pain DX
Tahlise
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby magkelly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 pm

I sometimes wonder how "limited" limited dolls really are. I've seen so many dolls that were supposedly produced in very limited numbers on Ebay and such so regularly that the whole limited edition thing just doesn't seem real to me. This one doll there I covet here were only 150 supposedly made but I'm seeing at least 2-10 of them every week for auction and it's not just the same people reselling them all the time. Sure, that does happen, but I see way too many of them for there to be only 150 of them in the world.

I'm not going to name names but I do know one 16" fashion doll maker at least faked that for a while. I've got two of this one doll and they BOTH have the same number on their back even though that doll was supposed to be limited to 350 worldwide. It's not the only one they've made like that either. I have one doll, my doll friend has the same doll, again same numbers though they were only supposed to be numbered in sequence. I've also noticed lately that when I get a COA it doesn't always say which doll it is anymore. Only a LE doll, one of whatever number was supposedly produced. To me that's totally cheating.

But I don't buy dolls because they are rare. I buy them because I love them. I try to keep all my COA's but in the end they're just papers I have in a box. I just don't end up selling dolls all that often that it's a big thing keeping them, and I never keep boxes unless I really like the design of the box for some reason. I'm scrambling looking for my FM papers actually. I want to sell certain porcelains, like my POTO pair, but I'll be darned if I can find their papers and I know I kept them...
magkelly
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SoapBubbles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:12 am

Tahlise wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys:) I took the advice and tried to buy those two dolls. But the site is so weird. When it's time to make the payment it just dead ends. There's no link or redirect to paypal. How do I pay for my dolls? I wish Junkyspot had Impldoll XD This is a pain DX

What browser are you using? I found that some sites (e.g. SOOM) suddenly come to a 'dead end' during payment UNLESS you're using Windows Explorer.

Grrr, and I like Chrome so much better... :roll:
~**~ My Family of 3: Niel (BF TF/MNF Hybrid), Eira (Soom LG), & Mare (Soom TG). ~**~
SoapBubbles

Postby Kirahfaye » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:18 am

SoapBubbles wrote:
Tahlise wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys:) I took the advice and tried to buy those two dolls. But the site is so weird. When it's time to make the payment it just dead ends. There's no link or redirect to paypal. How do I pay for my dolls? I wish Junkyspot had Impldoll XD This is a pain DX

What browser are you using? I found that some sites (e.g. SOOM) suddenly come to a 'dead end' during payment UNLESS you're using Windows Explorer.

Grrr, and I like Chrome so much better... :roll:

True - I use Firefox and there's one manufacturer site that locked up on it every time unless I switched to MSN.
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'