Go to footer

Using photos

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Using photos

Postby animeangel09189 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 pm

So I want to start getting my portfolio together for college or perhaps future job opportunities my question is are we allowed to use photos of our dolls (pullip, pinky, BJD ect) for this kind of thing? or is there copyright issues?
animeangel09189

Re: Using photos

Postby DollyKim » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 am

If it's your doll and you took the picture you can use it, basically it falls under fair use. Put a tag at the bottom saying what company the doll is from if you want. If you want to publish the pictures in something you want to sell then I'd say contact the company and ask for permission.

In the past I contacted a bunch of companies asking if I could publish pictures I took of my dolls for my pattern books, one said I had to say the doll was modified (I took off his hat and redid his hair), another said as long as the dolls weren't doing anything illegal or shown using drugs etc. In the two years I've been publishing not a single company has said anything. I include info on which company made the doll and what sculpt it is so people can find their own.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Using photos

Postby Siead » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 am

if you're talking a photographer's portfolio, and not a portfolio for modification and sculpting, traditionally you don't have to give credit of what you are taking a photo of. you can in the back of the portfolio keep a list of references, or with a web portfolio put in a links page if you want. in a printed portfolio, usually a simple one 8x10 per page is preferred, with title if there is one, although each school is different. especially when shooting objects. most people don't bother putting that the chair is from Ikea. similarly you don't have to put where the doll is manufactured.
although things might have changed since i applied for college.
https://twitter.com/SieadAitGR is the central hub for all my hobby blog/vlogging.
Siead
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'