Go to footer

Weekly DQ: #25

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Weekly DQ: #25

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:02 am

This week's Dollieh Question from our list. (viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6677)

25. Do you only collect/have one type of doll? If so, why only that type? If not, do you think of limiting yourself to one type of doll or figure?

I'm been getting better at not necessarily limiting myself, but choosing dolls/figures that I know I won't regret buying. I might be a big fan of a tv show or movie one day, then a month down the road feel less excited about it.

In short I try to stay away from impulse buys and figure out if this something I really want a month later.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Weekly DQ: #25

Postby Linteia » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 pm

I've thought about only buying BJDs, even thought about only buying MSD and tinies. I have several non-resins, but I have found that I don't like them as much as the resins. Even the Obitsus with their posing capability just don't really do it for me. But until I've had a chance to actually interact with all the sizes and types of dolls I'm not ready to completely write them off and commit to only one type.

I do, however, only buy one 'type' of sculpt, and that's a softer featured sculpt. I am definitely not a muscle fan (*degenerates into Janet Weiss for a second*) and even male sculpts put me off if they are too strong looking.
Linteia
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:57 pm

No
Even though I have 3 pairs of dolls who share the same type of head sculpts. 1 of my characters have three different bodies and heads from different company. Granted half of my dolls come from Obitsu and The rest seem to be hybrids and two anthros.

However it does look like my custom dolls and fullsets share the same type of faceup style where possible. It makes it easier for me to work with them. So it kinda ranges from girls in their mid-late teens to young women and men from ages of 20-35. I have a preference for muscular men(with the exception of one toned athletic slim bishi) while my women range from petite to amazonian since my faceup and doll style is fighting videogame based.

I don't work with young kids and babies though. I prefer my dolls to be of the age where they can take care of themselves and get into believable situations.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Evelien » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Limiting myself? No way. I collect vintage vinyl dolls, resin BJD, Polly Pocket girls, and now I have a Parabox/Hujoo hybrid in the Works plus a Nendoroid/Azone hybrid. Vinyl and resin, big and small, realistic and anime style: I love it all :-D
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Nope, no limit to what will make it into my collection.

I have resin BJDs, Hujoos, Monster High, Obitsu, Volks, all kinds of hybrids... and all sizes except I haven't managed to get my hands on an SD yet...
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Stormlight » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Hmmm...I mostly stick to resins, with the exception of my DDDy, Obitsu 50cm, and my 27cm and MSD Hujoo sculpts. I've tried the 27 scale Obitsu but just couldn't get into them. Thought of trying some Monster High since I really like some of the sculpts (especially customs), but honestly, they'd probably end up in the Barbie bin or being sold off within a few months, too. Resins seem to be my lasting hobby, though. Same thing goes with Pullips. Love their face molds and big eyes, but I don't think they're for me (Blythe is another story; those freakishly round eyes creep me out :shock: ).

Size-wise, I don't limit myself. Started out with SD, tried out MSD, now I've got a range from a Dollmore Model all the way down to a couple of Pukifee. :mrgreen:
Stormlight
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby SoapBubbles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Well so far I've only bought resins, but Obitsu dolls are starting to seem rather tempting. :P But I'm not too sure at the moment since I don't plan on buying any more dolls soon. Only time will tell.

For size I only have 2 MSDs, but I do plan getting other smaller (YoSDs) and bigger (SDs) dolls sometime in the distant future.

I just don't really have enough dolls to say I'm actually limiting myself to any type or size by choice. ^^; I just happened to want an MSD first, then wanted another MSD so that my first wouldn't be lonely.
~**~ My Family of 3: Niel (BF TF/MNF Hybrid), Eira (Soom LG), & Mare (Soom TG). ~**~
SoapBubbles
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Nella » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:38 pm

I only have resin bjds, except for Emmilinda, who is a Bradley doll. I try to limit myself to bjds because of how customisable they are and how they feel. I used to want some vintage Barbies and older play dolls, but after seeing them at the local doll show, I realised how limited I would be with them. I like to make my dolls into characters, or find a doll to be an existing character. While Emmilinda, even with her fixed position, is a part of my photostories, it's far easier to play with BJDs.

As for size, my dolls range from 25cm to 43cm. I'm still hesitant to go larger than a mini as for many years, I just felt that that was too big for me. One of my good friends has a number of SDs, so I play hers. I'm slowly warming up to the size, but I love how I can sneak the tinies into my bag. The minis are great for making clothes for and they're still easy enough to lug around with me.

Anything smaller than Finnian, my 27cm but skinny boy, is simply too small for me. Stringing and repainting him is a pain. I'll gush over other people's little tinies but knowing me, I'd lose the doll somehow. That actually happened with Fleur's little doll. I went to a doll show and the little doll, a Hasbro Dolly Darling, fell out of my pocket. I searched the floors and told the doll club, but she was never found. :cry:
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Postby E-Beth » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am

Only resin.
Other than that, not much limitation: 3 SDs, 2 girls, 1 boy, 1 it. 2 DollLeaves, 1 Impldoll, 1 Resinsoul. Different skin tones.
E-Beth
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby richila » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 am

No, I have dolls of many types of materials. I have handmade dolls of cloth, polymer clay and wood-some jointed some not. I have more ball jointed dolls than non and more resin ball jointed than vinyl. Different dolls have different purposes in my life.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'