Go to footer

Freya the Tiny Kitten

Puki, Brownies, Petdolls - anything in the 5" scale bring'm here!

Freya the Tiny Kitten

Postby werepuppy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:44 pm

This is a very belated post, but better late than never, right? I had been admiring the Hujoo dolls via Junky Spot for a while, but for various reasons had put off actually going through with a purchase. After getting my dear Olivia home, I felt a bit more confident about the whole BJD thing, and decided to actually go through and order one. I will add here that Emory is a lovely person and very helpful regarding international shipping. Within a short space of time - shorter than I thought - I finally had my little one, who arrived 18th Feb 2019:

I decided to give her violet eyes, which were a lot easier to put in that I had initially thought they might be. One of the best things was that I did not get hit by customs for Freya - yes, I decided to stick with the stock name as it is really quite nice. My initial impressions on having her in person were that the pictures did not properly capture how adorable she was, and it was the pictures alone that had even my Dad agreeing that she was a cute little doll. (He never agrees on this. He supports my hobby but he generally has no real opinion on any of them unless it's related to something he knows about. To comment on a BJD is a big thing for him.)

Anyway, first thing I set about doing was finding something for her to wear. Sadly, none of the small dresses I had sewn fitted quite right and I had to settle for a Monster High top:

This was from the Create-A-Monster Vampire and Gargoyle boy set. It worked pretty well on her, or at least it was something that gave her some cover. The little rubber griffin was a small capsule toy that arrived in the box with her, and it's become her favourite toy that she owns. Still, I did want something a little different for her to wear, and the find of a Barbie top in a local toy store gave me something perfect:

It's a bit too big for her, but in a way that's fairly endearing, and honestly, why would I want anything different for Freya? Importantly, it actually does a better job of covering her up than the MH top did.

Sadly, it's unlikely she'll get a face-up any time soon as I genuinely have no idea what to do there. I mean, I think she looks great without one - the sculpt here is really expressive enough on it's own - but maybe I'll be able to work up the guts to at least try to mark out a nose for her. I will say, as a negative, that oh wow, she can be ridiculously hard to pose at times. One of her feet seems to always want to point downwards, and will often slip out beneath her as I've got her standing. I get annoyed but then she looks up at me and... She's too cute for her own good, really.

There's only really been one issue with getting Freya: I would really like a few more of Hujoo's little anthropomorphic dolls. I was lucky enough to have enough put buy to order Nano Rabi lately - I'm gonna call him Robbie because I'm so creative like that - and I had a lucky (and slightly impulsive) win on eBay of a regular sized white Freya. I would really like to get Phoebe at some point.

... This is going to be a bit of a thing for me, isn't it?

werepuppy
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Freya the Tiny Kitten

Postby davidd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:39 pm

Uh oh! Sounds like this could be a potential gateway obsession or addiction!
:lol:
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby zirconmermaid » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:36 pm

They are really nice little dolls! I have two.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 am

Those Freya cats are a cute bunch. I have a pair as well.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby werepuppy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am

davidd wrote:Uh oh! Sounds like this could be a potential gateway obsession or addiction!
:lol:

Lol, I laugh but it's likely true. I have a Nano Rabi ordered and I'm trying to work out how long it might take me to be able to get a Phoebe... They're just really endearing dolls, and I can't help but adore them.

zirconmermaid wrote:They are really nice little dolls! I have two.

I really can see how it would be so easy to gather a little army of these... Affordable price, don't take up too much room...

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:Those Freya cats are a cute bunch. I have a pair as well.

Of course, can't let them get lonely.

And so I don't leave this without a picture:

Freya and Vel getting their hug on.
werepuppy

Postby mollym » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 am

I agree with your dad, Freya is very cute. Thanks so much for sharing your photos. Purple is a great color for this doll! Congrats!
Man dolls.... because baby dolls come from somewhere. ;)
mollym
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby werepuppy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am

mollym wrote:I agree with your dad, Freya is very cute. Thanks so much for sharing your photos. Purple is a great color for this doll! Congrats!

Thanks very much! I didn't expect to like the purple so much and yet it suits her perfectly.
werepuppy

Postby Cassandra » Thu May 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Freya is adorable! I was thinking about getting one of them as well, since they are so affordable. I don't know how I feel about not having a faceup. I've never done my own before and I'm little afraid to....
Cassandra
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby neon_jellyfish » Sat May 18, 2019 9:00 am

Such a cute kitty! You really can't avoid smiling when you see her, can you?
neon_jellyfish
Dolly Pardon

Postby werepuppy » Sun May 19, 2019 8:03 am

Cassandra wrote:Freya is adorable! I was thinking about getting one of them as well, since they are so affordable. I don't know how I feel about not having a faceup. I've never done my own before and I'm little afraid to....

Honestly, I've never done face-ups, either. My dolls that require one, well I've been lucky enough to get them second hand largely, with face-ups in place. I will say that, at least in the purple? Freya doesn't really seem to need a face-up. Her expression works well, and the most I'd want to do is maybe pick out the nose and mouth a little.

neon_jellyfish wrote:Such a cute kitty! You really can't avoid smiling when you see her, can you?

It's impossible. She's just too cute for her own good.

And speaking of too cute:

I fudged the pattern together myself from measurements and scrap bits of fabric. Sorry there's a bit of a yellow-ish tint to the pictures - I really need to change my lightbulb to a white one, but they're a bit more costly. I didn't have much luck with natural lighting when I was taking this either.
werepuppy

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tiny Critters