Go to footer

Lammily- normalizing everything about your body!

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Re: Lammily- normalizing everything about your body!

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 am

I saw this on yahoo. I thought it was disgusting then and I think it's disgusting now. Periods? Really? We need to have dolly bleed on herself now?
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Eseme » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:21 pm

I like Lammily. I'd love to get both of the dolls, just no funds at the moment. I like the body shape. I appreciate that the clothes look likes ones actual teens wear (the additional outfits for sale are well designed).

I utterly LOVE their crafting ideas! How to make healthy meals for your doll out of fimo and other clay. How to make a wheelchair, arm crutches, hearing aids! They also have how to's on fantasy outfits, like a hobbit outfit and a Jedi one.

I am thrilled that a company is encouraging kids to actively play with and personalize their dolls.

While the "period party" back my be a bit odd, it's an optional add on, and there are plenty of kids who are extremely curious about that. Thanks to some zany hormonal things my body did, I got the talk from my mom when I was about eight and very scared.

I personally feel that Lammily adds a lot to the doll landscape, and really hope that they continue to produce dolls and cool crafting videos.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Lammily bothers me for three main reasons. One, the designer did use average measurements, but did not actually proportion them properly. You can't base the entire 'average' thing on just taking a Barbie body, 3D scanning it, and changing only three measurements on it. Torso length is completely off since he only changed the height on the limbs, its still shaped like a Barbie despite the new measurements (as in, no new sculpting done, just made the already-flat stomach broader instead of round).

Two, the whole period party thing. I don't mind the scars pack, I get the point of it, though I don't know what that accomplishes that a crafty parent with a bit of paint can't. I just don't get why they'd immediately jump to the period one when they could be making a first aid kit, some kind of sets for disabilities, a set of punch out glasses or anything like that. Heck even Bratz did a cancer awareness doll. Or if they really want to focus on having a healthy body and mind, make more accessory packs with that. School sets, sports sets, outdoor activities, cooking (the food tutorial is nice but a kit would sell well!), things representing clubs that kids are active in like Scouts and 4H, crafting, hobbies. Simple craft kits to promote motor skills. Don't just make your line sound good on paper, make it actually helpful.

Three, they can harp on about accepting their body image as much as they want but I still think the line would be better with, say, three base bodies. They can say theirs is the 'average' all they want, but that's only mathematically. It isn't the most common, its just all the bodies totalled up and divided. All he achieved is take one ideal body type and switch it for another. You can't say its meant to represent all girls when all you did was push out the thin blonde and put in a stocky brunette (or the new Photographer girl, who again is on the 'average' body). If you look at most kid friendly lines, they have a range of girls. Because it works. Girls want a doll they can see themselves in. Take that idea one step further and make a line with some girls who are taller, some who are shorter, some who are chunkier, some who are thinner. Apply the Monster High/Ever After High body mechanics and you could mix and match them easily without too much more manufacturing strain. Seriously, a doll with CAM type build-a-doll packs to create a doll just like you? I would have ate that up as a kid.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby DollyKim » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I'd totally order a shaped like me doll. That sounds like a fun idea. *The CAM version.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Anderson'sAllPurpose » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:51 am

I would buy a doll or CAM pak shaped like me, except it's really hard to make a fat doll with decent articulation, so I'd have to sacrifice one of my holy doll grails either way.

I'm not completely sure where I stand on Lammily as a whole, but one thing I can wholeheartedly agree on is the design of the torso is really bad.
dollieh pics|old dollieh rants|ALL NEW dollieh rants
OMG, I can't believe I'm almost 11 and still play with Barbie dolls! If anyone find out I'm gonna die!!!1!
- my diary, c. 1991

...How long has that "s" in my signature been missing? - me, 2016
Anderson'sAllPurpose
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:17 am

There are okay fat dolls, better than nothing.

I need to take better pics of him but Watson on the far right is on a Napoleon 1/6 body, the B-W-H are the same, the waist joint isn't much but he has elbows and knees.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Studio 126 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:24 am

Anderson'sAllPurpose wrote:I would buy a doll or CAM pak shaped like me, except it's really hard to make a fat doll with decent articulation,...

For articulation AND heaviness, some mandoll modelers have made custom "fatsuits" for their figures.
Studio 126
Dolly Pardon

Postby KatyaR » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:15 pm

SillyLilPuppet wrote:Lammily bothers me for three main reasons. One, the designer did use average measurements, but did not actually proportion them properly. You can't base the entire 'average' thing on just taking a Barbie body, 3D scanning it, and changing only three measurements on it. Torso length is completely off since he only changed the height on the limbs, its still shaped like a Barbie despite the new measurements (as in, no new sculpting done, just made the already-flat stomach broader instead of round).

Two, the whole period party thing. I don't mind the scars pack, I get the point of it, though I don't know what that accomplishes that a crafty parent with a bit of paint can't. I just don't get why they'd immediately jump to the period one when they could be making a first aid kit, some kind of sets for disabilities, a set of punch out glasses or anything like that. Heck even Bratz did a cancer awareness doll. Or if they really want to focus on having a healthy body and mind, make more accessory packs with that. School sets, sports sets, outdoor activities, cooking (the food tutorial is nice but a kit would sell well!), things representing clubs that kids are active in like Scouts and 4H, crafting, hobbies. Simple craft kits to promote motor skills. Don't just make your line sound good on paper, make it actually helpful.

Three, they can harp on about accepting their body image as much as they want but I still think the line would be better with, say, three base bodies. They can say theirs is the 'average' all they want, but that's only mathematically. It isn't the most common, its just all the bodies totalled up and divided. All he achieved is take one ideal body type and switch it for another. You can't say its meant to represent all girls when all you did was push out the thin blonde and put in a stocky brunette (or the new Photographer girl, who again is on the 'average' body). If you look at most kid friendly lines, they have a range of girls. Because it works. Girls want a doll they can see themselves in. Take that idea one step further and make a line with some girls who are taller, some who are shorter, some who are chunkier, some who are thinner. Apply the Monster High/Ever After High body mechanics and you could mix and match them easily without too much more manufacturing strain. Seriously, a doll with CAM type build-a-doll packs to create a doll just like you? I would have ate that up as a kid.

Received a Lammily from a friend not long ago (original owner chucked her, unopened, into the family garage sale. :/) and while I do like her, these are valid complaints. The body is awkward and would have benefited from better hip jointing so that she could sit a little more naturally. I like the idea of *not* treating the cycle as something horrible and scary, just...not sure this is the way to handle it. A 'just like me' accessory pack would have gone a long way toward making people see the doll as less of a social experiment and more something a little different in the playline doll field.
And yes, I would have worn out a CAM-type build-a-doll pack as a girl. :) Anyway, I will buy the new girl when she is released, she looks cute.
KatyaR
I snort dolliehs liek candi

In Related News...

Postby Studio 126 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm

GI Jane personal gear to include a F.U.D.D....! :P
Studio 126
Dolly Pardon

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale